PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-25-2010, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Boeing 314 Clipper

I started the Clipper 3 days ago. This is the free download from here. I think this is a Gary Pilsworth PM artwork...beautiful. No scale changes printed on a new this week 27dollar HP D1660 and Hammermill 110LB card. Just couldnt afford 50 plus for a full ink load on my R200. In the first photo you can see my very expensive cutting mat, a local magazine. Glue bound spine peel and trash as required. The parts were cut out without the tabs. I like the flush fit and smoothh finish of adding a tab plate where required which helps stiffining. The start was with the wing root fuselage section and went forward to the stim. The photo shows the water hull being attached. The design so far has no flaws but coming from balsa kits I like more formers and wing ribs. Only upgrades I plan on are improved paper props and engine faces.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper01.jpg   Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper02.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
looks good so far
Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Looking great so far, I'll be watching how you get on with the build
Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
I do love flying boats and the Clippers were some very elegant craft.
I, too will be watching this with great interest.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I'll be watching as well. I just picked up a book about the Pan Am Clippers at the local bookstore.
Wayne
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 PM

clipper

I slowed down on the Clipper while testing the 727 parts n piedmont paint.
I finished back to end of ring 6 and moving on to finish the fuselage. Took some head scratching to figure out how the water-hull ends. Photos of the real plane did the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper03.jpg   Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper04.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

She is coming along very nicely. The hull to fuselage can be awkward, but hey... you sussed it out
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM

clipper

Stim to sturn. The parts do fit well. I started with ring 5 the section with the forward wing junction. Having finished the fuselage I could not say if there was a better place to start. I put three layers of...spar?...110lb card 3mm wide near leading edge to give the elevator profile. Did the same on the tail fin with 2 layers. Nit pickers note: On the 314 the tail should be a fin not a rudder. If you build one the rudder rib lines should carry to the leading edge cap with no vertical rudder line on the center fin. Station 3 needed a former just for shape control and strength, it built easy. Station 7, the fuselage joint below leading edge of the elevator should have had a former. It took a day of head scratching sanding fiting and one replacement part to get sections 7 and 8 to work. The parts wanted to build too round and when the sides were brought in forming an oval it would gap top and bottom. Either way it was a hit and miss on the shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper06.jpg   Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper05.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM

clipper

No long wind. Tail finished. Wing test fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper07.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM

clipper

The photo shows the wing finished and attached. Only changes I would consider is a maybe on attaching the orange "tooth" on top of ring 5 in place to ring 6 in the computer. I would add almost a mm to the lingth of the forward fuselage to wing fairing giving it a little leeway to cover the alignment lines on the wing top. The wing tips I scaled up about 10% to give enough meat to wrap and sand to align. The 2nd photo shows the origional engine The disk with tabs. I used a photo of a radial, doubled it so the two layers will stack and attach to the original "engine" that is now an engine mount. Completed engine computer rendition is in the green box. There is also a nose case printed for more depth. The props are from a photo of an actual 314. Most likely a wast of time with the engine being less than 12mm dia. But the detail translated with fins and pushrod tubes showing. I also cleaned up the french curve on the cowling root in the computer. The work was done n printed at 300dp on a new wallyworld 27dollar HP 1660. I couldnt buy a black cartige for my Epson 200 for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper08.jpg   Boeing 314 Clipper-clipper-engine-show.jpg  
Google Adsense