PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm trying to visualize this, as I have never built an Orlik. Are the joining strips glued to the formers before the skins are attached, rather than being glued to the skins before they are attached to the formers?

Don
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'd be very hesitant to cut any skins because the joining strips aren't lining up right. I'd probably build more of the former structure and cut more skins and see how the rest of the section fits around it, and based on that I'd probably lean towards thinking that you need an extra joining strip for where the skin actually ends - but the fitting should tell you for sure.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.60 MB
Don, at this stage, the instructions call for all the strips on the cockpit frame to be glued to the formers first, the inner surface of the strips (between formers) inside the cockpit are used to attach the inner cockpit wall before the outside skin goes on however I'm not sure why the strips at the front and rear of the cockpit frame needed to be glued to the formers first.

I'm not familiar with Orlik kits at all so I'm going with the instruction, at least for now.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM

This is a very interesting discussion with much future (possibly distant future) relevance to me. I have three Orliks that I hope to build (all from the Trollischer Treasure Trove, i.e. bought during Ron's Redoubtable Rummage): the Yak/Jak-3, the Supermarine Seafang F.32, and the Mitsubishi A6M3, which can be built as either the Model 32 or Model 22 (so I bought two of them). They all look, in the words of Johnny, "Yummy," and to one of my limited skill and experience, challenging.

For the Yak-3, I have Lukasz Fukasz's and Ted's superlative builds to look to (even though Ted's was not an Orlik), and I am on the qui vive for info on the others.

As near as I can tell, the Seafang has no fuselage joining strips. The Yak and the Zero do, but I cannot tell from the instructional pictures if they are to be glued to the formers or to the skins. If and when I actually begin construction, I will be looking for translations of the instructions and advice from those who have gone before.

Meanwhile, I am closely watching Tbolter put this one together -- and paying attention to such useful comments as Dan's. Not only because it's enjoyable to watch a more skilled craftsman at work, but also because the lessons learned may help me with my Orlik airplanes. And I may some day try the Orlik Hurricane myself.

Apologies for this very long-winded posting, but I love talking with you guys and sometimes I get carried away.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 02-21-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Correct typos.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.60 MB
Well, I'm going to need to do a restart on the Hurricane, none of the skins around the cockpit section seemed to fit right and if I kept going I knew that something was going to come back and bite me later.

Here's what I think happened...

The scans are printed at 95%, checked the reduction against the original on several x-y dimensions, checked ok.

Made a mock-up in full size from the original kit, unlikely that the kit would be off but had to satisfy myself anyway. Kit is good.

Problem is apparently in the joiner strips, I scanned this kit on card that is slightly thicker than the original kit and after the 95% reduction the difference between the card I used and what is right caused the joiner strips to increase the circumference of the former/joiner strip enough to cause a misfit and gap where the skin should come together at the bottom of the fuselage.

I can save the cockpit frame work however the skins and joiners need to come off.

I have some thinner card for a new printout and some heavy paper for the joiner strips and everything will be much closer to the right thickness. hopefully that will solve the problem.

Lesson learned...when reducing the scans, don't forget to reduce the card thickness proportionally.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Hawker Hurricane-hawkerd.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks for sharing your detective work. Good lesson learned.

It's also good to know that the original Orlik model was good to go. That's encouraging.

Don