PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.60 MB
Orlik Hawker Hurricane

After looking at the Fly Model Huey a little closer I decided to wait on that one for awhile.

Tried to scan and print the Orlik Hurricane yesterday, everything looked good except for the wings. The printing produced a repeating pattern across the skin, at first it looked like too much ink or possibly an ink smear was causing the rivet pattern to repeat across the card.

After cleaning the cartridges (HP printer) and reducing the ink deposit setting and rescanning I tried again, some improvement however the pattern is still there. The print preview looks good so I don't think it's in the scanning

Generally I find that these sorts of things are the result of a problem between the keyboard and the chair or something very obvious...any suggestions?

I'm hoping it's not the cartridge, they are about half full.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Hawker Hurricane-hawka.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, I hate it when something like that happens. Not sure but maybe the rollers in the printer are fouled with something.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Did you save the scan to .tif or .bmp? - it possibly could be compression artifacts if you are saving to .jpg. It would be worth examining the scan under high magnification (400%) in Gimp to see if it is the scan.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I agree with Charlie - looks like .jpeg compression problems.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Sometimes the scanner software has an option for hiding Moire or blurring. Also you can sometimes fix it in something like PSP by making an appropriate selection and blurring it. Its usually in the scan and not in the print system.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Problem solved.

Excellent analysis and solution by you guys!

Trouble was with JPG compression...didn't think to switch formats...duh.

Now off to the cutting board.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Well, the Hurri is somewhat underway. This is my first Orlik kit so any construction tips would certainly be appreciated.

Found an Orlik Hurricane build thread on kartonbau.de however after a very detailed cockpit assembly the thread abruptly stops.

There is an excellent Orlik ME-109 build thread by Johnny on this forum now, this is a high quality build and hopefully some of the construction procedures shown there will apply to my kit.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
If you want to do some extra work;
http://www.zshare.net/download/514063141e3e17/
There you have an engine to go into your Hurricane
Cheers, Billy
Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Wow, just doing the basic kit is going incredibly slow, I can't imagine tackling a Merlin for the Hurri...or just trying to the Merlin by itself.

In fact, I'm starting an old Maly TBD-1 Devastator to fill in around the Hurricane assembly wait time. Maybe I can get extra credit from Old Troll...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

A little help please...

The cockpit framing is done and now I'm attaching the skins around the cockpit. Skin #6 is on with half the front joining strip exposed, when I bump skin #7 up to #6 the back edge of #7 (arrow) extends to the back edge of the rear joining strip leaving nothing to support that joint.

Skin #7 fit around the cockpit is good so the excess length appears to be behind the cockpit opening.

My first inclination is to leave the skins alone and replace the rear joining strip with a wider one. The joint between #6 and #7 will then be just slightly behind the former.

Or...should skin #7 be cut to match the frame dimension?

I always hesitate to recut the skins because of the possibility (more like probability) that my cut will cause a gap between the skins however if that's the best solution I'll do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Hawker Hurricane-hurriinsta.jpg  
Google Adsense