PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Lief, nice find on that web site. I was wondering if any of his other aircraft were available. I haven't seen some these before.

Now I am feeling guilt and remorse for cutting this up if it is no longer available, but I have had this at the top of my build list for a while and couldn't take it any more. I just had to build it.
Bah - don't feel guilty. You bought it to build, not collect (well, I'm assuming since you are building it). That's what it was intended for. You'll just have to take care of the model once it's complete
Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I also have that kit!
I was lucky to buy it from a guy at cardmodels forum.
I'll follow your build with the greatest interest!!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Quote:
Now I am feeling guilt and remorse for cutting this up if it is no longer available
I agree with Dan, of course you're doing a good thing by building it. That's what it's for. I was more thinking of my own copy, since I probably would like to enlarge it to 1/16. Which would entail making more details, instead of just drawing them. Whick requires finding good sources. Which means a lot of work which I never get around to.

Which is why my copy is just collecting dust, instead of being built into a glorious model, like yours.

Good work. - L.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This thread is a rare treat! You are doing a beautiful job on a real piece of art (grand old airplane, too - I used to watch these and P-51s of the Maryland Air National Guard fly out of Harbor Field in Baltimore in the 1950 and have always been fond on them).

Don

PS: Thanks for the link, Leif. I sure wish the Canadian Navy Firefly was still available!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I too got lucky and bought this right after Ken came out with them.........

I have :

Fleet Cornell PT-26 1/26 scale
Harvard MK 4 1/32 scale
Nieuport 17 as flown by Billy Bishop 1/24 scale
AVRO CF-105 Arrow MK I 1/72 scale

I wish I had bought more by alas hind-site is always 20/20

These as Leif has said are done on colored paper and in the case of the Arrow have been hand colored using silver pens for the parts that are supposed to be silver.

I too look forward to this thread............the Harvard/AT-6 is favorite and is sen at a lot of air shows.......love the sound of that big radial engine

john

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Just a few thoughts on these kits. I've got to confess that when my model arrived I was frankly disappointed. The photo seemed so beautiful and promising. Would these hand-drawn, pencil-designed, handcoloured sheets really build up into something like those photos?

But then I gave it some thoughts, and got encouraged instead. If this guy could accomplish so much, with so simple tools (I don't think these sheets have been anywhere near a computer, much less a CAD program) - then so could probably many of us, too.

So nowadays I regard these kits as a great tribute and challenge to us all. With a good three-view drawing we could probably come up with some very good models. And that's how I got into paper modelling in the first place - more or less scratch-building a favourite aircraft of mine.

It's just that with time, and the plethora of high-quality, computer-drawn models, I had forgotten all about the glory of self-designing, and scratchbuilding.

Perhaps it is time to go back in time a bit. Thanks, Ken Uhrig and Bluenoser, for the reminder of what paper modelling is all about.

Leif
Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
My reactions upon receiving the model were the same as yours Lief.

I was unable to put on part #11-A because I glued the Pilot's seat back to the dividing bulkhead. If you only glue the seat to the floor, then you can install #11-A at the stage shown, otherwise you should do it after the bulkhed is installed. Also, the mating part to 11-A is identified as part #9 on the parts sheet. It should be part #11.
Because I was unable to install #11-A, I painted this area the same color as the rest of the cockpit. Looks fine to me.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5438.jpg  

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-19-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM

I have installed the canopy, and made a horrible mess out of it. Now this model is going to look good from far, but far from good.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5439.jpg  
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 AM

The wing centre section is made up as a box spar and formers. The formers are positioned forward and aft of the box spar. These formers simply butt against the box spar. I'm not really happy with this as there were no tabs left on the formers to attatch to the spar and hence will result in a weak joint. So I used hot melt glue to attach these parts and applied a lot of extra hot melt glue to act as stiffening fillets. This worked out well and of course dries very quickly so you won't need to hold it in position all night.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5442.jpg  
Old 02-19-2008, 11:18 AM

The wing centre section with spar and formers inside and the engine and cowling.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5440.jpg  
Google Adsense