PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
RCAF Harvard Mk IV

Thought I might start a build thread for a change instead of reading them all the time.

My new project is a hand drawn model. I haven't made any like this yet. Should have an antique charm to it when done. There are some silvered parts on the sheets (propellers and landing gear) which came hand colored. Also, the cockpit, rondels and fin flags came color printed on a seperate sheet of bond paper. The rondels and flag are applied after assembly to the aircraft as a "decal". The cockpit pieces are glued to card stock. The rondel and flag are also hand drawn.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5419.jpg   RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5420.jpg  

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-18-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That looks like an interesting project. Where did you come by the model?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM

After some initial assembly I got the cockpit in. Here is a coser look.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5432.jpg  
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This is an older kit, I'm assuming? I look forward to seeing this one progress.
Chriss
Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM

Next came the empannage (or tail section). Shown here it looks fine but there is a symmetry problem here. I will show in another set of pictures).
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5434.jpg  

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-18-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Note from the pictures shown that the centreline marks on the top and bottom of the fuselage line up, but when viewed from behind the horizontal tail plane marks are cocked.

This problem can be hidden by the root fairings that will be installed here once the horizontal stab is in place.
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5436.jpg   RCAF Harvard Mk IV-100_5435.jpg  
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM

I picked up the model from Lighthouse as they were clearing out their stock. There is no date anywhere on the model so I don't really know its vintage.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The model is one in a series by Canadian Ken Uhrig. You can still see most of the line here: The Spitfire Emporium (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada).

I think you may be very lucky to have picked up one of the Harvards left. The source above doesn't seem to have it, although they have a photo of a finished, beautiful, model (attached).

I have the Fleet PT-26 Cornell, and your description of the model seems very much the same. Mine is dated "9/05" which would seem to indicate a much later date than I would have thought.

The kit is very much like a hand-drawn, hand-painted, one-off work by the artist himself, although the pencil-drawn (sic!) parts probably have been copied on an ordinary office copying machine.

Parts are printed (copied) on coloured paper (yellow in my case, and yours), and many details hare hand-coloured with what seems to be either water-colour or felt-tip pens. In addition, the national insignia come hand-painted (I believe) on thinner paper, just like you reported.

The technique is much like the models by Robert J. Kaelin (New York, US), although his models are drawn with ink before copying on coloured paper. In addition, his models always come (came?) with an assortment of straws and floral wires for sundry details, plus very detailed, illustrated, step-by-step instructions. His designs are quite unique in other aspects as well, since they do not use any laminating on thicker card. The models are mostly from the 1990's.

Both Kaelin and Uhrig have designed most of their models in the sensible 1/24 scale (although Uhrig reverts to 1/32 for larger models such as the Spitfire).

It seems almost a shame to put a knife to such works of art. Uhrig's models in particular retain a very "quaint" quality in comparison with the computer-aided, professionally printed range available now. Yet the finished result seems to be excellent to judge from the photo below - and your build, which I will follow with great interest.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
RCAF Harvard Mk IV-harvard-ken.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 02-18-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Getting it more right
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Thanks for the link Leif! While 3 1/2 hours away, it appears that The Spitfire Emporium is the closest hobby store to me that physically carries paper models, even if it's only the few listed as designed by Ken Uhrig. Perhaps I'll have to plan a day driving in Ontario to go check it out.
Looks like a very neat set of kits. I definitely look forward to seeing this one come together - the start looks very clean.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Lief, nice find on that web site. I was wondering if any of his other aircraft were available. I haven't seen some these before.

Now I am feeling guilt and remorse for cutting this up if it is no longer available, but I have had this at the top of my build list for a while and couldn't take it any more. I just had to build it.
Google Adsense