PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models

I've been trying to have this plane completed by today - after all it is an anniversary - but work and family stood in the way....

Even since I showed any interest in war in the Pacific, I was intrigued by the story of George Welch and Ken Taylor. For those that do not know them - those are the two guys who singlehandedly fought against hordes of Japanese planes (pulling all kinds of crazy stunts) during the Pearl Harbor raid, well at least according to Hollywood version of the event
Thruth was certainly not that colorful, but nevertheles, against all odds they did get in the air and did some shooting down...
Model that will be available as soon as I'm done building will have alternate parts to build either white 160 plane (Welch) or white 316 (Taylor).

Now on to the photos....
Can't show you any photos taken during cockpit construction because I lost them during the PC crash but there were no problems there and everything fell into place very nicely. Cockpit is fairly detailed but not overdone in the Halinsk's manner.
Some of the detail is visible in the photo.
The only issue I encountered so far is the internal part for the tail wheel segment. It was to small to wrap around the formers nad to big to go inside of them. I took liberty to shorten it so it fit in between the formers and I added strips of paper to hold it there. By doing this I ended up with the last former being to small so maybe this part should be longer and go inside the first former but outside the second....
Doesn't really matter since all this will be invisible and the former for the tail will close the segment...
One more thing - I forgot about one basic rule... :o
Lukasz uses both butt-joint and connecting strip method but I forgot to properly fit together two adjoining formers and this shows a bit....
Attached Thumbnails
Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_07.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_02.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_03.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_04.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_05.jpg  

Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_08.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 PM

Forgot some basics....
Model in 1:33 scale designed by Lukasz Fuczek. Light weathering as seen on the photo.
Printed on Epson R220 using Epson presentation matte paper and generic inks - why this is important?
I tried few different types of paper including regular 110lb, semi-gloos and gloss photo papers and the presentation paper. Colors varied from paper to paper and my guess is that they will vary depending on paper and ink used.
Plane should be in olive drab/neutral gray camo - mein came out a bit on the light side of teh olive drab but this allows much better visibility for the nice surface detail.

Rest of the details of the plane will be visible during the construction.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is good news, Mike. A historic airplane and it looks like a very well engineered and attractive model. I'm sure this one will be popular.

Don B.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks good, Mike! One of these day I may try a plane again.... You have some very nice ones (including a couple on my hard drive...). This seems to be my speed - detail without going overboard!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM

A little progress over the weekend...
I was a bit afraid ot the small parts in the tail and how they supposed to go together, but everything worked out nicely.
Don't pay attention to the white fields around the tail - fillets are yet to be installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_09.jpg   Curtiss P-40B - coming soon to GreMir Models-white_160_10.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Very nice, Mike. This one's a winner!

Don
Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very nice looking build, and a neat subject. So many models, so little time...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM

True, but for anybody who was a kid during WWII, this was THE iconic airplane -- this one and the P-40E that Flip Corkin and Terry Lee flew in the CBI theater in Terry and the Pirates.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Yeah - I'm a few years too young to have been a kid during WWII (I was born just before the end of Vietnam) - but it's still an add to the 'must build' list for me
Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wonderful model selection Mike. And especially thank you for sharing a build with us. I desire a P-40 in my collection but have not yet done the Halinski. I may do this one instead. As for colors, a little difference in color should not be that important, IMO, referencing recent discussions about aging, fading and all that.

BTW, I find tail assemblies to be annoying. Even the landing gear is more satisfying to work on. Make a bad tail and everyone notices. Make a perfect one and nobody cares. And usually lots of teeny parts.

Carl
Google Adsense