PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
so good,I like this plane
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
New 1:87 versions of the Spitfire IX to download

Inspired by John Dell's call for 1/87 HO scale aircraft models, I rescaled & slightly revised the exisiting 1/48 scale models of the Spitfire IX in three versions, previously available in the downloads section. The new 1/87 scale versions are now available. Just click on the links to get to the proper place in the downloads section:

Spitfire Mk IX FY-F, 1:87 scale

Represents the aircraft of the squadron leader of the first squadron receiving the Mk IX. Colour scheme as in August 1942, Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey, and Medium Sea Grey (underneath). Reworked version based on an original 1:48 scale free download by Nobi, ThaiPaperwork.com, with permission.

Spitfire Mk IXc ZX-6, 1:87 scale, Med-desert livery

Represents the personal aircraft of Stanislaw Skalki, leader of the Polish Fighting Team (PFT), or the "Skalski Circus", during operations in North Africa Spring 1943. Colours are the standard Meditteranean-Desert scheme of Dark Earth, Mid Stone, and Azure Blue (underneath). Reworked version based on an original 1:48 scale free download by Nobi, Thai Paperwork.com, with permission.

Spitfire Mk IXc ZX-6, 1:87 scale, pre-1941 livery

Represents the personal aircraft of Stanislaw Skalki, leader of the Polish Fighting Team (PFT), or the "Skalski Circus", during operations in North Africa Spring 1943. According to new research the colour scheme of this particular aircraft may have been the pre-1941 scheme of Dark Green, Dark Earth, and Sky (underneath). Reworked version based on an original 1:48 scale free download by Nobi, Thai Paperwork.com, with permission.

The new 1:87 scale versions may be difficult to build in that small scale. The experienced builder will no doubt simplify elements of the model to their own liking. The kits should be thought of as more of an inspiration to pursue similar efforts and share the result.

The redesign of Nobi's original is made in such a way that gluestrips have been expanded to form entire inner skins. Since all skin sections thus are doubled, a rather thin high-quality paper would be in order, around 100g or so (slightly thicker than ordinary copy paper).

The kit is formatted to print equally well on A4 and Letter paper. Set the printer to two kit pages per printed sheet (specify in Adobe Reader if not automatically done). Or you can use 13x18cm photo paper sheets (8x7in). Both options will leave ample margins.

The kits are quite interesting to have around just for studying, since they contain historical information, and provide examples of interesting variations of livery colors and markings. The text and details are quite tiny in 1/87 scale (but still crystal clear vector-drawn), so you may want to study these features on your screen rather than on paper…

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Experimenting with Nobi's free Spitfire IXc 1:48-spitfire-ix-fyf.jpg   Experimenting with Nobi's free Spitfire IXc 1:48-spitfire-ix-zx6-med-desert.jpg   Experimenting with Nobi's free Spitfire IXc 1:48-spitfire-ix-zx6-pre-1941.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are wonderful additions, Leif. I'm still up to my ears with a new academic year starting and the Ashgate Research Companion to the Korean War at a critical stage of pre-publication, but someday I am going to try my hand at some of these models.

Don
Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Thanks, Leif, for this new addition.
I've already downloaded these extraordinary models.
I believe that to form dioramas, is an appropriate scale.

Orazio