PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The nose turned out quite good, Isaac.
Maybe this method is not applicable in this particular situation as the nose of the Corsair is not quite symmetrical, but in many others you may find it suitable. Here's Gil's solution to the problem with his "female" adjustable form. Personally, I prefer to approach the task from the opposite angle, i.e. male form, usually matched in shape dowel(s). Sometimes it helps to sand and thin the tip petals to make more room for them on the tip of the cone. As usual my choice for glue in such cases is O'glue, used not only to glue the petals, but also to moisten the whole part so it can be easily formed (simple eraser as shown on Gil's photo is great for this kind of action).
This all is just for your information, sometimes a modeler needs to choose a method that best suits him. Nothing wrong with your approach

"None so blind as those that will not see"
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
It's been awhile since I looked at this thread. Great job on the nose. I'm curious that you used spot putty on the inside of the nose. I wouldn't think that such a large amount would hold it's shape so well without cracking. Usually spot putty is used as a smoothing coat for filling small cracks and imperfections on top of the two-part automobile putty. Good to know that it works so well.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Petal design alternative

Guys.

For petal shapes that are mono color like a radom or a nose, in my opionion you need to either use the putty process I just used, or a vacuformed part ( probably in 2 half sections and joined. I did look at another build of a SU-24, or an F-111 and was horrified when I saw the petaled nose. It looked horrid on such otherwise great builds. Same issue with bombs. For those, I may decide to just cast resin pieces.

In any case, the puty method ( I use the automotive type ) works well. You can use it thick and it will not crack. If you are concerned about the thickness, you can do it in multiple stages.

Anyhow, for me I see the limitation of paper and try to help it a bit. Since I am not a paper purist, It is OK for me.

Enjoy the weekend.

Isaac
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Cool Landing gear struts

Landing gear

The landing gear is a straight forward construction. My favorite method is to glue the strut rolls to a thin wood dowel edge. Once that dries, you can then roll it all the way. I trim off the approx circumference of the dowel before I glue it. I then drill the ends and insert metal wire ( I get a supply from the florist. They have the green soft wire they wrap flowers with ).

One thing you have to be clear about the main gear arrangement. The three struts make a tri angular arrangement. However, do note that the 2 forward ones are perpendicular. I note in some other builds that the struts are swept forward ( that is wrong ). So I decided to install the two forward struts first and get then adjusted to both perpendicularity and also horizontal stance of the plane. It took a few tries to get that. I then locked it with CA glue.

LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08450.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08452.jpg

I then prepared the rear trailing link and found it to be too long.
LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08455.jpg

So basically a bit of a trimming did the job.
LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08457.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08458.jpg
LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08459.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08460.jpg

The nose strut is easy too, but the trail link design is weak if built of paper only. I inserted two flat wood pieces ( from a coffee stir ) and sandwiched a paper clip axle for the two nose wheels. The rest is simple stuff.

LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08451.jpg

Next are the wheels. I will make my own out of wood.

That is all today

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08454.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Thumbs up Just for reference

Just happened to look at my other passion ( plastic planes ) and got to see these super looking 1/32 scale Trumpeter kit of an A-7E Corsair 2.the link is dated today ( Jan 10, 2011 ) . The link for some reason is not going to the specific topic, so scroll down to Jan 10th and look for the A-7E thread.

http://www.clubhyper.com/forums/plasticpixframe.htm

I am drooling. Specifically the external loads. No way paper can do that. I need some of them and hang it on my paper plane.

I'll bet there is a market for wood turned external stores as an accessory. I will probably resort to a resin version.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I guess you haven't seen the GPM Strike Eagle with its loadout?

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/search.php?searchid=772659

"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 PM

That's some heavy metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Great U/C method

I really like the way you dealt with the U/C Isaac... i will remember this ! what better way to make sure all struts are aligned correctly - Nice one Isaac
Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Smile And now the real thing.

Just got back from a great trip to the Dayton USAF museum. Been there many many times. I wanted to see the A-7D they have there on display.

Here are some pics of the aircraft details. Primarily the landing gear. Note the struts I talked about on the mains?

That is all for now. I will be doing some more travel next week ( Ireland ) and will not be able to continue the build much until I return.

Cheers

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08561.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08562.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08563.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08564.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08565.jpg  

LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08566.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08567.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08568.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08570.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 AM

Wheels info soon

I finally finished the wheels. I turn my wheels on my mini lathe ( UNIMAT 1 ). But the silly thing had a technical malfanction. I finally fixed it. The wheels are made of laminated wood that is then ground to shape. Others will use the card stock laminated.

Anyhow, picture soon of the finished product. The plane is now on its wheels.

Isaac
Google Adsense