PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Nice work sir. I have been using future floor wax with an airbrush to protect my finished models. Light coats after they are finished. Not a lot of shine but good protection. I live in lousiville just below you. Snow here also. But its the cold that is getting to me.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Please post a photo of a model that you sprayed Future on. I want to see it please. My expierience is that it is too shiny. I am willing to re consider for some models. Definitely if you build an airliner or a private plane.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Future Floor Wax Models

Here ya go. I just finished spraying this one for Chris for his Dad. Also I am including pics of Ken West X-15a2 which I sprayed after completition. I am using a cheap outfit from Harbor Freight. I have Badger guns but am not willing to spray floor wax through them. So I use the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight. Nothing special here I pour directly into the container and let her rip. I stay back about 12" and use serveral light coats. Never get any closer than 12" that keeps the stuff from piling up and causing the high shine or bright spots.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Got it.

How about the transparent canopies? Do you you mask it or spray on? The P-51 model does not have clear canopy, but I think the X-15 does.

Great build.

I will pull one of my old models first and experiment on it.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM

Taking a break for vacation.

Happy new years to all.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Got it.

How about the transparent canopies? Do you you mask it or spray on? The P-51 model does not have clear canopy, but I think the X-15 does.

Great build.

I will pull one of my old models first and experiment on it.

Thanks

Isaac
Canopies are not sprayed as this always ends up with a orange peel effect no matter how good you are at spraying. I never thought about the dipping deal you do , but that looks like the answer. I wonder about peeling off in the long haul do you have any experience on how it holds up over the years?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
Canopies are not sprayed as this always ends up with a orange peel effect no matter how good you are at spraying. I never thought about the dipping deal you do , but that looks like the answer. I wonder about peeling off in the long haul do you have any experience on how it holds up over the years?

Once I dip the canopy it stays on forever and looks always good. Been using it for years on both paper and plastic canopies.

Isaac
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Great! Thanks. Will include this in my technique going forward. Same goes for the Future spay coat. I'm pretty sure it won't protect against Direct sunlight and fading. I use it mostly to stabilize the paper against dust and humidity. Sun will get anything,
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
I might mention here that it is important to follow all of the suggested steps in dipping a canopy. Make sure that you put it up on toothpics, or pencils...the less surface are touching it the better, and be sure to cover it! I know from experience that this can be disatrous if you do not! Haha...
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Great build - Some marvellous techniques and lots of happy smiles looking at this beauty
Google Adsense