PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I want to go to there!

It's been one of my dreams for the last 10 years to go to Dayton and see the collection. Someday. Someday.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Not many years ago it was still said that "books are the best way to travel around the world" if you couldn't go there by yourself.

It seems that nowadays the internet is the best way to travel around the world, when one cannot go there in person.

Thanks for sharing those links. They have plenty of great pictures, and are indeed a way of traveling there and have a taste (small but valuable) for those of us who don't know the places, or don't have the chance to go there.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Nelson Ledges Racetrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Hi Ron. Is Fairfield, Ohio near the Nelson Ledges racetrack? I remember going with friends who raced their motorcycles there in the '70's. I don't know if it is still there.
Hi Zathros,
I moved here just under 2 years ago so i am still learning my way around (native San Diegan, lived in North Dakota 18 years in the military). This area is really new to me, but my wife is form the area and keeps me from getting lost.

From what I can find, the racetrack is up near Cleveland (about 3 hours north of me) so it is not really close, but is still in operation (I googled it).

Best Regards,
Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Went there in about 1980, at the time no rails or anything around the aircraft! touch all you wanted, still treasure the photo I have of me with my head stuck in the X-15 A2 tailpipe! And to see the giant XB-70...WOW what a plane!!Some of the planes must be the only ones in the world? Just how many F-82 Twin Mustangs are there in the world? Place has changed a bunch have to go one more time!!....Rich
Old 12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
Thanks for posting this. I was there in Dayton for a papermodelers convention in
'97 or '98 I think . A lot of good memories. Quite a few additions since then. I
recall a glass case containing a Bach Stradivarus trombone and other memorabilia
owned by Alton Glenn Miller. The first time I new his first name. I met a lot of
people that are still with us and some that aren't.
Thanks again
Bob
Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Models too

They also have a huge collections of model planes ( not paper though ). Some are still on display.

Here are pics I took on one of my many visits ( only 1 hour away )

I remember many years ago, I always flew out of Dayton airport so I can swing by the museum. Prior to 9/11 you could drive your car to the museum annex and see all the presidential planes and the other funky planes such as the Thunderceptor ( that is wild ).

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
National Museum of the US Air Force-dsc05752.jpg   National Museum of the US Air Force-dsc05753.jpg   National Museum of the US Air Force-dsc05754.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Caudillo View Post
Hi Zathros,
I moved here just under 2 years ago so i am still learning my way around (native San Diegan, lived in North Dakota 18 years in the military). This area is really new to me, but my wife is form the area and keeps me from getting lost.

From what I can find, the racetrack is up near Cleveland (about 3 hours north of me) so it is not really close, but is still in operation (I googled it).

Best Regards,
I always feel dumb after asking a question like that. I still don't know why I didn't Google it?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The majority of Those model airplanes are old school scratch builds. Wood, balsa, carved and build ups. Those were the models that got me to scratch build in my early years. The old Guillows balsa wood models, Plastic and finally to paper. Fantastic well define photos. Thanks again for the picture parade.