PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Thumbs up National Museum of the US Air Force

Marloyd has asked me to post this excellent link: National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson

National Museum of the USAF - Home

There is a lot of information here. I wish I could live there. I sure all of my stuff would fit into the C-141 Starlifter out on the airfield. I'd be very quiet.

Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Great photos. Thanks for the post. The photographer also posted this link to some more of his photos, at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola FL. One of the nice things about the Naval Museum is that there are no ropes or barriers....a real feelie, touchie place!

CDSG Forums :: View topic - NAVAL AIR MUSEUM, PENSACOLA 2008

Jim
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Man, the USAF museum would be like my dream come true! I visited the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC...it was incredible. More aviation history in that place than anywhere else.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Great photography. Some of the aircraft of the South East Asia era brought back some memories. The indoor displays look in great shape, being protected from the elements. It is a shame that the Aberdeen museum let the majority of their armor rust in place. This was a most enjoyable picture through time posting. Thanks for the memories.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
I live about 45 minutes (depending on traffic) south of the museum. It's truly a worthwhile trip to visit it. I've been there a few times.

Also, about 30 miles (approximately) further north is Neil Armstrong's home town where there is a road sign that points out a museum there. I have driven past it once on a business trip, but unfortunately, did not have the chance to stop. I'm going to have to get there next year when the weather begins to warm up.

If anyone plans a visit and wants some company, let me know, I'd love to join up with you. If you give me a week or two advance notice, I can put in for a vacation day. Of course, saturdays are always open too (unless I'm travelling). PM me and I'll give you my cell number.

Best Regards,
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I once had a chance to run through the Dayton museum, literally. I arrived 30 minutes prior to closing, with a live falcon on my hand, and just had time to do a quick tour before jumping on the T-39 and leaving. Just seeing the XB-70 in person was worth the trip. Obviously I didn't have time to take any photos (hard to do one-handed anyway) so I'm glad we live in the internet age so I can examine all the things I didn't have time to see.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

Hi Ron. Is Fairfield, Ohio near the Nelson Ledges racetrack? I remember going with friends who raced their motorcycles there in the '70's. I don't know if it is still there.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 AM

I live about 6 hours from the Air Force Museum! My favorite place in the world! It is constantly expanding. I remember as a kid, the museum was mostly outside in downtown Dayton. Now it has an IMAX, a couple of annexes, 3 hangars, and a fairly new aerospace exhibit hall. And they still store a lot of aircraft outside. They have a nice collection of German WWII fighters too.

The cool thing about this museum, is every aircraft has a story or is unique in some way. If you go there, be sure to see the MIG 15 that was lured into South Korea for $$$ during the war. The cashed check in under glass next to the MIG.

Ken
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hey Zath... Thanks so much for sharing the link - one word AWESOME !
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have been to the Dayton USAF Museum twice in my life.
First time when I was about 13 yrs old (around 1973)
so I can't even remember the trip (I'm 50 now!)
- I do remember the Valkyrie Bomber sitting outside.

Second time was about three years ago...took my Daughter, shes a bit of a Fighter Plane fan...

I am amazed at how much, and how often the Museum changes!

I see aircraft in those pics that weren't on display three years ago, I see aircraft in different poses...
when I was there the F22 Raptor was high up in the air and looked more like a mockup,
and I was disappointed to not get a good look at it.
Now its on the ground with the cockpit open!

I see a lot of open cockpits now!...I feel ripped off! lol

But you wanna know the coolest thing?...living in Canada you get used to having to pay ridiculous admission prices for some of the lamest events and attractions.
To see and be awed by this fabulous Aeronautics Museum, and to do it all for free, is simply outstanding.

Even the stuff in the Gift Shop was priced right!

Last edited by airdave; 12-02-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Google Adsense