PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262

As a builder of both paper and plastic model planes, I have always enjoyed the differences and the unique aspect of each medium. I go back and forth with both. For the past 2 years it has been paper again and with a passion. I usually build one 1/33 scale model a month. So while working on my corrent project ( GPM's LTV Corsair 2 in 1/33 scale ) I looked at my display case and pulled out the two Me-262s I built. The first is an old Hasagawa 1/32 scale relatively simple by today's technology. The paper version is Modelik kit. I must say, that the Modelik kit has a few issues with accuracy, but I really enjoyed building it. My biggest issue with that kit was the engine inlets. They are 100% bogus. I knew it upfront, but elected to keep it any way.

So here for your peruzal pleasure is a photo comparison of side by side of the two. In case you need to know which is which, the Paper one is bright green and grey.

side by side
Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262-front-right-both.jpgPaper and plastic comparison- Me-262-top-right-both.jpgPaper and plastic comparison- Me-262-rear-top-both.jpgPaper and plastic comparison- Me-262-botom-both.jpg

paper and plastic

Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262-front-left-paper.jpgPaper and plastic comparison- Me-262-front-left-plastic.jpg

Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262-front-right-paper.jpgPaper and plastic comparison- Me-262-front-right-plastic.jpg

cockpit
Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262-cockpit-paper.jpgPaper and plastic comparison- Me-262-cockpit-plastic.jpg

Paper and plastic comparison- Me-262-rear-paper.jpg

So, now that you saw mine, how about you? Do you have same scale of the same model? Share the pictures, let us know what you got.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.47 MB
Hi Isaac,
nice Schwalbes you have
unfortunately, the plastic model in 32-nd scale costs too much, but the result is outstanding specially if you use all available accessories to the model.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Model 299 and B-17G

Interesting that you'd start this thread. As I just finished taking some comparison shots of a couple of my Monogram 1:48 B-17s (plastic) to compare with John Dells Model 299 (paper), also in 1:48.

The wingspans are within 1/8" of each other.

This is kind of a Great Grand-son vs Great Grand-dad comparison.

I don't have any close-up shots of mine but I think I'll do that now that I've seen this thread.

Enjoy, comments welcome.

SFX
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Swampfox

Thats great! Should be lots of B-17s out there. The plastic ones are the G versions and the paper one is the prototype that looks like a D or earlier ( the tail is much smaller than the E versions and up ). I did not know you can get the early versions

Keep it coming

Isaac
Old 12-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Hi Isaac,
nice Schwalbes you have
unfortunately, the plastic model in 32-nd scale costs too much, but the result is outstanding specially if you use all available accessories to the model.

Foxbat

I got the old Hasagawa version at a swap meet for about $10 US. So if you get those it is cheap. If you go for the new Trumpeter ones you pay thru the nose ( a waste of money in my opinion ).

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Any Hasagawa model for $10 bucks is a steal!!! I have a collection of plastic models, most not built. They are kind of rare. I have a Renwahl Visible V-8 in the original box. I have 2 Monogram 1/8th scale Jaguar XK E's by Monogram. 1 built, 1 in the box with the plastic still on it. I have some other aircraft and a huge Puma from France that I found at the dump. The box was destroyed but the model and instructions are intact. What people throw away is sinful.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Eternal Member

I think that paper model B-17 is a Fiddlers green model and I didn't think it is the most accurate model by any means. I don't know of any really accurate do card model B-17 out there
Old 12-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Interesting thread.. The pictures in the side by side shots, I would have a little trouble deciding which was which if you hadn't told me. At least from the side by side shots from the top. The bottom shot was pretty clear to me which one was which, as well as the individual shots. Interesting... Never really got into plastic modeling that much?? Mostly balsa and of course....paper!! Balsa may have missed out too, if I'd found out about paper first!!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

A fairly accurate B-17G is in work on the forum. You can
check out the Beta build. The build seems stalled at the
moment but I'm sending Boats some update sheets so
maybe we can breathe some activity into the thread.
Billy and Boats have the most progress so far.....Ron
Old 12-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Cool Lots of cheap plastic kits out there

You can get in contest and swap meets cheap Revel and old Hasegawa kits in 1/32 scale of P-47 , Mustang, Spitfire, FW-190, Me-109, Me-110, Beaufighter, P-40, Mig-21, F-16A, F-18. I know, as I said most were in the $10-$15 range and the poor Beaufighter was smashed and I bought it for about $5 and repaired it ( painted black and it looks super ). Also early Trumpeter Mig-15, Mig-17. I bought all in the past 5 years and most are built ( except the P-47 and the Me-110 ). So you should have a good selection to compare the 1/32 to the 1/33 scale lot. When it comes to 1/48 and the 1/50 scale you have lots more to choose.

The point here is to show us what you already got and compare. But if you are energized to build plastic again, go ahead as well. No sin here ( I am not a purist )
Google Adsense