PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Marek corsair

To give me a change of pace from the Siebel 204 and a mystery project (which is requiring me to come to grips with some software programs I have so far avoided like a minor plague), I decided to visit my archives of Marek designs and do something a bit easier. I narrowed my choice down to the corsair....however, between DeWane Barett's store and ecardmodels, I find myself with five different versions in two scales to chose from. Unable to single just one out, I decided just to start doing Corsairs until I am either so sick of them I bend more than just the wing or manage to get one of them right.

What I like about Marek's models is that they fit together well, aren't too difficult to figure out, and have enough detail to be interesting but not so damned complicated you have to devote a whole building season to completing just one model. Since for this model it is the most tedious part (and arguably the most interesting) of the build, I started with the engine. Eighteen cylinders in two rows....what a monster. On takeoff, it will vibrate the fillings from your teeth when it passes over you at 50 ft. altitude (my workplace used to be directly in line with the end of the runway used by a prominent warbird restoration outfit). In order to keep my "respit project" from driving me around the bend, I used the dowel trick for making cylinders. On my first attempt, I built the engine exactly as it came from the kit. In order to get the proper diameter of the finished part, I had to glue a couple of layers of paper onto the dowel I used for a mandrel. This was more of a pain in a tender spot than I cared for, since I either had to prepare multiple mandrels or somehow slip the cylinders off the mandrel as they were glued up. Also, as designed, the cylinders looked a bit too skinny for my taste (I could never figure out what the big deal was with Twiggy), so I went into photoshop and lengthened both ends of the cylinder piece (essentially adding two additional wraps of the part around the mandrel, one additional for the base and a second additional wrap on the fin portion of the cylinder. This let me glue the piece directly to a "raw" dowel and just cut off the finished cylinder, and produced an engine that looked a bit more "scale". I wasnt happy with the cylinder color, though, so back to Photoshop to make the fin region a uniform dark gray. The third one completed engine was just about right, but I noticed the engine block color of the second and third engines had assumed a much greener tint than did the first one. My initial thought was that the first version used engine parts from a different kit than I used for the redraw. I pasted the block parts onto my redrawn parts page, figuring that should do the trick. After printing, the engine block was still greenish, not gray. It then occurred to me that there was a difference in print quality selection....I used "best" print quality for the first version, and "normal" on the redrawn engine parts. I printed out the engine using "best" quality, and sure enough....the color shift toward green was taken care of....the block was light gray and not drifted toward zinc chromate. Lesson learned....if you are noticing a color shift on the printed pages from what you expected, try increasing the print quality setting. Uses more ink, but I guess it is in the "you get what you pay for" category. So, I am back to the cutting board producing a fourth engine which hopefully will be "just right" (Goldilocks did it in fewer trys). This may, perhaps, determine the number of airplanes arising from this build string. It does mean I will have to dip into the 1:50 scale kits, as I have only three versions of the kit in 1:33 Scale. This introduces another twist to the build, since I want to keep all models at the same scale. Fortunately, it appears that, other than size, the major difference between the two scales is the parts size (plus the smaller scale kit is simplified by not having wheelwells, engine, and cockpit). However, the sickness factor may still end up being the limiting factor.

Speaking of sickness factor, what is the difference between the present US Guvmt and the much maligned drunken sailor? The sailor eventually passes out and quits spending.

Marek corsair-01.jpg

Marek corsair-07.jpg

Marek corsair-09.jpg

Marek corsair-02.jpg

Marek corsair-03.jpg
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Only one cockpit built so far. As designed, I think the seat tilts too far forward....instead of gluing the seat legs to the deck, I think I will make the next version with the seat supports glued to the rear bulkhead instead. This will make some sense when I build the second version, and get a few photos taken during the build, instead of just the finished product. In the first version, I went ahead and built pretty well as designed. I think the tabs hinder more than they help, so will completely eliminate them from the next attempt.

Marek corsair-04.jpg

Marek corsair-05.jpg

Marek corsair-06.jpg
Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Which one are you doing first? I am specially interested in how your skin goes on around the cockpit, it seems to be a problem area for some reason.

Watching!!
Chris
Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 PM

I hope people do more than just watch....the purpose of these forums is to allow us to be interactive, and the workshop gets a bit lonely at times. Yep, there is a definite problem lurking there at the front of the cockpit. I haven't done enough of the fuselage to know for sure, but I suspect the problem is a major change in effective fuselage diameter from the front bulkhead of the cockpit and the instrument panel. As soon as I saw the upper outline of the cockpit section head south between the forward bulkhead and the front of the cockpit cutout, I had a STAR moment (acronym stands for S**t, That Aint Right). I suspect a trip back to photoshop is going to be in order before starting the next attempt. My initial thought is to modify the instrument panel outline to conform to the top of the forward bulkhead.

To answer your biggest question....I am working on both of the versions you are peddling, plus the original 1:33 scale version from DeWayne's site. That leaves one of DeWayne's two 1:50 scale versions to choose from....not absolutely decided yet, but I'm leaning toward the ANZAC livery.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
If you determine the problem and its related to the model I can have sergey do a bit of work on it (possibly I need to confirm with him and also get permission from Marek) to resolve the issue. I have finally gotten in touch with Marek (YAYYYYY!!!!) and hope to get some of his new models for sale in the near future

Is that interactive enough? :D
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM

Yep. Aint this communication age great?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've still got the mold from vac-forming a canopy for Marek's Corsair. Not polished enough to be a commercial offering but it doens't suck too bad. let me know if you need.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Darwin, I love your line about the sailor!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I want to build one of the Marek Corsairs some day, so this thread is of very definite interest to me.

The build shots indicate your usual superb craftsmanship, Darwin.

Don
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'l take 3 of those canopys, please. I am also building ,the Corsairs.thanks for the build.....Lewis Osborn
Google Adsense