PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Nose Turret pt.2

Nose Turret shell rolled and glued into cylinder.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-5.jpg Click to enlarge

Nose Turret Top, with Micro-Mark mini-clip holding together to dry.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-6.jpg

Completed Nose Turret outer shell.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-7.jpg

Nose Gun Mounts glued in place. Tissue was suggested to keep the mounts parallel to each other. I didn't see the suggestion until after I'd built the turret;-( B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-8.jpg

I used a small piece of balsa to keep them apart.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-9.jpg

The Astro-dome.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-10.jpgB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-11.jpg
Actually, there were 2 different astro-domes included in my kit. I built both and used the one with the hole in the top.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
Re: history in #5 message. That should be Ie Shima, not Le Shima.
Looks like an impressive build.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
Re: history in #5 message. That should be Ie Shima, not Le Shima.
Looks like an impressive build.

Thank you, I meant to check my source on the spelling and I just spaced it out.

I hope you stick around and watch the whole build.

Thanks again,
SFX
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Nose section

Some of the pieces of the nose.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-1.jpgB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-3.jpgB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-5.jpgClick to enlarge

I built this model as a typical FG style build. No internal formers, joining bands etc.. I left the tabs in place. Added nothing that was not provided in the kit.

This is nose section 2 after I glued it and shaped it with a couple of wooden dowels. Keeping the slab sided shape of the Liberator was a little tricky, but after a couple of tries, I got the hang of it.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-2.jpg B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-7.jpg

Section 1 glued togetherB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-4.jpg

Section 1a and 1b glued to section 1B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-6.jpg

Nose Turret glued in place.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-8.jpg

Nose Turret fairings and paper handles to place fairings into nose, behind turret.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-9.jpgB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-10.jpg

Make sure to glue in the Turret fairings into the nose section before you add too many fuselage sections. It gets difficult to reach too far into the back end of the nose section.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-11.jpg

The completed nose section minus the windshieldB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-12.jpg
Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Swampfox
A hardy well done Is your liberator 1/33 scale like my Flymodel B-24?. you have a good start on yours, I always like the J version apposed to the D model. carry on i will be atchin you turn two on this wondeful bomber.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-popeye-590x442.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boats I think the scale is 1:48. Looking at your avatar the
sabbatical you took from here seems to have really aged you.
Ron
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
I am also watching this thread. Thank you for doing a thorough build thread. Looks great so far. I am always impressed with John's graphics but the Dragon is extra special.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Boats, thanks. Ron is correct, it is 1:48 scale. I agree with you, I've always liked the J model more than the D.

What the heck happened to you, your avatar looks like you've been road hard and put up wet;-)

Jim, thanks for your comments. I really thought long and hard about making this a detailed build. Some people are turned off by this approach, but others seem to like it. I agree with you about John's graphics. They are a style that I really like and his weathering is way ahead of the rest of the pack.

SFX
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Windshield-windscreen-cockpit cover.........

I've heard different words used to refer to an aircraft windshield. Call it what ever you think is right......

I just thought I'd mention that as I build each piece/subassembly I paint the white edges of the card stock and do any other touch-up that is necessary. This is a picture of my color mixing palette at the end of the project.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-paint-palette.jpg Kinda messy, but it works for me.

Onwards.....

This is the windshield, cut out and shaped. B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-1.jpg

Glued, with diluted white glue and clipped to dry. B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-2.jpg

Front view glue dried for about 30 minutes before I remove clips. B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-3.jpg

Using Blue painters tape (low tack), I apply white glue to the inside/hidden edges of the windshield and tape it into place.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-4.jpg

Let the glue dry for about an hour and carefully remove the painters tape.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-5.jpg
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
Boats I think the scale is 1:48. Looking at your avatar the
sabbatical you took from here seems to have really aged you.
Ron

Ron
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllllllllllll Oh heck I,m fixin to enter a Beauty contest. Thanks ron for the info great to be back here again.