PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Boats, thanks. Ron is correct, it is 1:48 scale. I agree with you, I've always liked the J model more than the D.

What the heck happened to you, your avatar looks like you've been road hard and put up wet;-)

Jim, thanks for your comments. I really thought long and hard about making this a detailed build. Some people are turned off by this approach, but others seem to like it. I agree with you about John's graphics. They are a style that I really like and his weathering is way ahead of the rest of the pack.

SFX

Swampfox
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllllllllllll this is what happens when you take a sabbatical from the forum and return to finish up 43 builds you started on, not the same fellow, LOLlllllllll just kidden shipmate I was always a admirered Popeye the sailor my childhood hero that inspired me to join the navy and see the world, Heck i might eben pull a lon chaney man of a thousand faces, LOLLLLLLLlllllllllllll thanks your doing a great job on that liberator mine is still hanging on the over head ready for a landing.
Attached Thumbnails
B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-pict0030.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Bomb bays

The bomb bays took more time to cut out than any other parts of the kit except maybe the bombs themselves. Lots of fiddly little spaces to cut out and retouch before I could start assembly. Several pieces had to be folded over onto each other for a two sided piece.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-1.jpg

I assembled the pieces on a magnet board from Micro-Mark. It uses magnets to hold pieces in place until dry. I also used Blue Painters tape.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-2.jpg

The Cat Walk, Keel, and Center Section that pass through the bomb bay have a front and back. See the little arrows? They are VERY faint.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-3.jpg They point forward.

This is also labeled on the sheet that the bomb bay parts come on.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-4.jpg

I glued the Center Section into place first.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-5.jpg

Let it dry overnight and then attached the Cat Walk first, and then the KeelB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-6.jpg

I know this is jumping ahead some, but here's what the bomb bays look like installed into the fuselage.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-7.jpg
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
WOW! theres the swampfox fine building we all know and love!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Looks great so far. I look forward to building one myself some day. This seems like a delux model for fiddlers green with the bomb bay and all.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Great work thus far !

Coming along very nicely.
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
SFX, I noted the magnets you are using on a steel plate. That seems a very good idea. Funnily, once you notice things like this, they seem to pop up everywhere. Now I remember seeing the same method put to good use in modelling a quarter-scale Piper Cup steel tube framework:

Italian kit maker Paolo Severin says he uses very strong magnets from scrapped computer hard disks. Didn't know they contained such good stuff!

Model coming along very nicely, as is the tale of building it.

Leif

Source:
Paolo Severin's Cub page - download a full quarter-scale drawing in colour, based on Paul Matt's classic drawings, if nothing else!
Paolo's method of making a steel tube framework.
Attached Thumbnails
B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-page13_4.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
SFX, I noted the magnets you are using on a steel plate. That seems a very good idea. Funnily, once you notice things like this, they seem to pop up everywhere. Now I remember seeing the same method put to good use in modelling a quarter-scale Piper Cup steel tube framework:
Leif, I've used magnets for building balsa and card models for longer than I can remember, they do work great. And thanks for the links to the quarter-scale Piper... I've always liked Cubs and that one is a beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Looks great so far. I look forward to building one myself some day. This seems like a delux model for fiddlers green with the bomb bay and all.
Kevin, thanks. Your right, it does seem that Chip is looking to step up the FG style to the next level. I hope it works out well for him.

Swampfox
Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Hello everyone,

And thanks to Swampfox for doing a building thread. I know some had problems figuring out the tail turret on the B-24D I did a few years back. This model is a little more complex in several respects so this thread will be informative. One of my biggest fears when I do a model is that I'll be the only one who can figure out how to put it together. Swampfox did a great job assembling it so I was much relived.

The final files I sent to Chip contained 13 sheets for the model proper, plus a parts sheet for the bomb bay, three sheets of bombs of different sizes and types, a sheet containing a bomb cart (in three different colors) and the introduction sheet. The bomb bay, bomb and bomb cart sheets will carry over to the other B-24 versions.

Oh, and Popeye IS the man! The original 1930’s Segar comics are the best. Long live the Wiffle Hen!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Center section

This is the Center Section/part4. AKA the Bomb Bay section.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-1.jpg
When I first saw it, I thought it had misprinted because of the 2 tails

The shaped section.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-2.jpgB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-3.jpg
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Cutting out the Bomb Bay doors

I wanted to do as neat a job on this as possible so I might have gotten carried away with my approach.

Here is section 4 glued to the rest of the finished fuselage.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-1.jpg

Next I looked around the house to find something that would fit the shape of the bomb bay compartment area. In my case I found an empty plastic bottle and a spent toilet tissue cardboard tube!B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-0.jpg

I fit them tightly, into the back of the open fuselage.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-2.jpg

To act as a curved cutting board for cutting the bomb bay doors out.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-3.jpgB-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-5.jpg

I scribed the back of the bomb bay doors to give them a segmented look.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-4.jpg

I then removed the plastic bottle and in its place slid the finished bomb bays into place, adding glue along the way to fix them in place.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-6.jpg

With the spent tissue roll cardboard still in place, I also cut out the slot that the wings fit through.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-8.jpg

This is one of the steps that I got so involved with, that I didn't take as many pictures as I should have. I hope these photos give enough of an idea of what took place.

This is what the fuselage looked like at this point.B-24J "The Dragon and His Tail"-7.jpg
Google Adsense