PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Wow, That is very nice extra info and pics that are new to me, in the second inside photo with the fuse upside down the yellow stripe can be seen, I think the description of "stripes" refers to the additional stripes on the tail. here is what I did the other day with a comparison of the page in the hal kit
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_1539.jpg
my lettering is still a bit crude
Thanks for the assistance Don!! I'm enjoying some of the aleutian history that goes along with the well-known part of this
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks good Glen.

The photocopy lists that the aircraft had yellow 'stripes' - typo or was there more than one actual band?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Your recoloring looks great, Glen!

I'm out of ammo on this topic, but it seems to me that your recoloring looks just like the photos except for the issue of the fuselage stripe (or stripes), which seems to be unresolved from the material so far available.

Mike: Your info tends to be authoritative. What is the source on the fuselage stripe(s)?

I will be out of the net for a while. Am getting spun up on a lecture on the Battle of Pork Chop Hill that I give tonight at the Army War College prior to a showing of the 1959 Gregory Peck film. Part of our Campaign Analysis Course film series. I'll check back in on this interesting discussion tonight or tomorrow morning.

Don
ps: There is a grey catbird and some goldfinches at the backyard feeder. And grackles. And an English sparrow in bright breeding plumage building a nest in the bluebird box. Had a bluebird yesterday. No leps yet.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I'm very far from being an authority on colors as my wife can confirm :D
When I get home I will check again in the book "Koga's Zero" and scan photos showing the fuselage and markings.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
thanks Mike, Dan, Don for your interest in this it is fun to work on, I'm gonna start gluing up formers and go with it for now. I think we have probably as much info as we can, since this aircraft wasn't photographed in color I think until after repainting Army Air C. colors.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Found this http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=119852
Look at the third photo - you can see the fuselage band just ahead of the id placard. Maybe it's not very pronounced but definietely something is there.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I couldn't resist checking in on this discussion. Having re-read the J-Aircraft discussion and having taken a good long squint at the photo that Mike refers to, I conclude that there was no tail stripe (what looks like a tail stripe is an artifact of the plane lying upsaide-down in the bog) and that there was at least one fuselage stripe. Probably just one, since Koga wasn't a flight leader, so the stripe was probably a combat stripe rather than a command stripe. I tentatively conclude that the reference to "stripes" was a typo.

My recommendation (humbly and tentatively presented) is to do away with the yellow tail stripe and, leave the fuselage stripe, and start slicing paper.

If you later find strong evidence that there was more than one stripe, you can always go with decal paper.

If you have already started construction with the tail stripe, then all I can say is, it's your airplane and I will admire it whatever kind of markings it has.

Don
Old 05-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Koga's Zero is an interesting repaint. I can't wait to see it finished.

There was a yellow stripe around the fuselage. The photo here with the tail up in the air, shows it. It is very difficult to see, but changing the contrast of the image after saving it, brings it out. It is just forward of the data block.

I would say that this profile drawing is very correct...though I have nothing which shows or hints at horizontal yellow stripes on the tail.
Attached Thumbnails
hal zero-3086187373.jpg  
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Looking at the photo below I would say that there was a stripe on the tail.
It is to even and regular to be anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
hal zero-koga_zero.jpg  
Old 05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Good catch Mike. The other photos discussing the dark coloring on top of the fuse by the front seemed to correspond with that line being a 'muck' line - but that view definitely shows the bottom of the 'strip' contrasting the lowest portion of the vert stab. I'd say what Glen's done is correct