PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
hal zero

I've been thinking about starting the halinski a6m2 zero, but was thinking of altering it to be the one found by the Navy in the Aleutians, as it seems the color scheme would only take some minor variation, and some photoshopping the tail numbers? Anyone with ideas about that?

Last edited by birder; 05-04-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Koga's Zero had yellow band around rear fuselage and yellow stripe under tail numbers D1-108 so work required in Photoshop for somebody skilled with it (not me, though...) would be pretty minimal I think.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks! I have just a b+w photo and wasn't sure on those colors. I think this might be a fun change to try.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I look forward to seeing how this one comes out. The hal zero is one of the kits I 'read' quite often when I start pulling kits out for future planning sessions.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Hey Dan, it looks like a fine kit to me, and I'm recognizing the general plan of the structure as a bit similar to the Spit in some ways. More work on the cylinders for the 2 row radial, and greenhouse canopy, but otherwise some similarities. The fit of these are very fine and precise, maybe a little more precise than I tend to be, but that dosn't stop me from building 'em

so many projects...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
I've been thinking about starting the halinski a6m2 zero, but was thinking of altering it to be the one found by the Navy in the Aleutians, as it seems the color scheme would only take some minor variation, and some photoshopping the tail numbers? Anyone with ideas about that?
I just read a short book about Koga's Zero rediscovered on Attu(?) in the Aleutians. I lent it to a friend. Let me check with him; the book might have details on the plane's markings.
--David
Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM

David, thanks-I googled that and did come up with a picture of the airplane from the cover, that looks like what Mike described. I went ahead and photoshop changed the fuse and tail markings to look like the pic, yellow band, yellow underline and D1-108. Hope it looks a bit like the real one
Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Always glad to see another famous Japanese airplane taking shape here!

Don
Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Don, you must be so familiar with this story, the lettering (font) used on the tail doesn't look like the halinsky, white letters with red border. It looks like a solid color, but may either be dirty or not black anyway, maybe dark reddish. Different font shape, too. I don't know of any that I have like it, but simulated it by hand. I can take a pic of the sheet it you think it would help, it may be some time until I get to that part
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Koga Confusion

Glen --

Mike and several other folks here know more about the details of Koga's airplane than I do, but I'd still like to take a look at the picture and will be glad to compare it with whatever sources I have.

The tail numbers visible in the photos of Koga's aircraft taken at Dutch Harbor right after it was recovered look like they are solid and a dark color, not white outlined in red. The photos are black-and-white, but Donald W. Thorpe, in his book on Japanese Naval Air camouflage, says they were red, as Mike said.

I defer to Mike on the markings, although I don't see a yellow fuselage stripe in the photos of the aircraft in situ (unfortunately, in the best photos I have, dunnage has been wrapped around the rear fuselage section, obscuring any fuselage stripe.

Thorp says that "Although the RYUJO usually painted one yellow stripe around the fuselage of its aircraft during this time- period, this particular aircraft [DI-108] carried only a horizontal yellow stripe on the vertical stabilizer, indicating the position of Section Leader." [p. 24: the photos are on pp. 24 and 24] As Mike said, the yellow stripe is below the tail numbers and just above the base of the vertical stabilizer, parallel to the aircraft center line.

To further confuse things, in Richard Bueschel's book on the Zero, there is a painting purporting to show Koga's aircraft: the tail numbers are in black, there are no yellow stripes of any kind, and the upper forward part of the fuselage is painted blue! The painting in Rene Francillon's Profile of the Zero shows Koga's aircraft with no blue top, black tail numbers, no yellow stripe on the vertical stabilizer, and a RED fuselage stripe.

Neither the Bueschel nor the Francillon illustrations track with the actual photos, which clearly show the light-colored horizontal stripe on the vertical stabilizer.

You will also want to take a look at this discussion in the J-Aircraft forum, which includes a photo of an early report on the color and markings of the aircraft that says that there were yellow fuselage stripes and concludes that the discoloration on the top of the aircraft (shown in blue in the Bueschel illustration) was the result of the airplane lying upside down in the bog: http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=4360.0

Don
Google Adsense