PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide

Ahoy

While my sunderland is drying for the night,I will start another build, so far i havent seen any of these on this forum perhaps there were at one time but not certain. so i will start this build, i got this from the download section of this here forum. It looks like a very enteresting model to build I never built one of these before But i will give it a go. Here is a design by Mr.Pilsworth, looks like it will be a good build sp there will be a lot of dry fitting here and there and thinking things through before i laydown the glue.I,ll start this tommorow when i finish the sunderland.
Attached Thumbnails
deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0008.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0009.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0010.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0011.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0012.jpg  

deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0013.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0014.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Fuselodge assembly

Ahoy
Just started on this build, This kit is in the download section for reference of the kit go to the download section download the kit and see the contents in this kit. so far not a bad kit I cutted out the 5 fuselodge formers and the 4 sides of the fuslodge assembly there are no directions to the kit only exploded views with the parts numbers they are the the only instructions you will need. so far I jpoined one side of the fuselodge to the top section and it fits great no fit issues i went a head and edged the white with moroon red and burnished it from the inside, I will have more pix tonight as the builds procedes. Before I go any further i have to white in the canopy frames. Here are the pix.
Attached Thumbnails
deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0001.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0002.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0003.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0004.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0005.jpg  

Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Ahoy Skipper - There's no flies on you for sure... they don't get the chance to settle From one great build to another Do you ever get any sleep ? This will be an interesting build to see, our Gary's designed a not inconsiderable amount of models - and he works at the same speed as you do... what a team !!. Looking good thus far

Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Ahoy Skipper - There's no flies on you for sure... they don't get the chance to settle From one great build to another Do you ever get any sleep ? This will be an interesting build to see, our Gary's designed a not inconsiderable amount of models - and he works at the same speed as you do... what a team !!. Looking good thus far

Ahoy Grandson Peter
Thank you for the you tube you made my day, This is a beautiful aircraft. I always liked the raptide a great compacked passenger plane. I enjoyed the you tube a very enteresting presentation of an aircraft of a bygone era, thanks Grandson.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up Fuselodge assembly done

Ahoy
Here are the pictures for the night, so far I constructed the fuselodge together along with thier formers in place. The bottom section was a little tedious but It went on without a fuss. I done some color edgeing on her and gave her a coat of Krylon clear I am letting this dry for the night, then tommorow I will do a little burnishing, then i will procede with the rudder and stabilizer, no fit issues were incountered durring the construction.
Attached Thumbnails
deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0009.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0010.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0011.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0012.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0013.jpg  

deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0014.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Similar Rapide

Years ago, I built a 1/50 scale model of the Dragon Rapide from the Israel Air Force magazine. It was pure junk. Not sure why they even published it; it was so amatuer. I still have another copy of it. The wings were realy bad.

I would like to see one in 1/33 scale painted as either a RAF como colors or a silver IAF with good interior detail, clear glass and detailed engine.

Here is a picture of my old one.
deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-iaf-rapide.jpg

As an aside, I had the pleasure of being in the cockpit of a DH Dragon in Australia at Point Cooke. The Dragon was a predecessor of the Dragon Rapide with square wing tips and wheel pants instead of the spats. It flew that day and was fun to watch ( engines were hand started ).

Cheers

And see you in Indianapolis next Saturday.

Isaac
Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Years ago, I built a 1/50 scale model of the Dragon Rapide from the Israel Air Force magazine. It was pure junk. Not sure why they even published it; it was so amatuer. I still have another copy of it. The wings were realy bad.

I would like to see one in 1/33 scale painted as either a RAF como colors or a silver IAF with good interior detail, clear glass and detailed engine.

Here is a picture of my old one.
Attachment 81079

As an aside, I had the pleasure of being in the cockpit of a DH Dragon in Australia at Point Cooke. The Dragon was a predecessor of the Dragon Rapide with square wing tips and wheel pants instead of the spats. It flew that day and was fun to watch ( engines were hand started ).

Cheers

And see you in Indianapolis next Saturday.

Isaac
Ahoy Isaac

thanks for the reply I like your rastide you done a great job on her I dont know much about this kit, as far as I can see no bad, there are no fit issues to the kit so far, If I ever did another of one of these I would cut out the windows and build a interer detail throught the model., one thing for certain i will have to reiforce the rudder and stabilizer before i install these there are no spars I will have to make one. as for next Saturday I will see you there,

Boats
Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
I'm always amazed by your imcredable builds and gonna watch to see how she looks when its done by a master builder
As Pete said looking gooooood
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM

A Hardy Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPilsworth View Post
I'm always amazed by your imcredable builds and gonna watch to see how she looks when its done by a master builder
As Pete said looking gooooood

Ahoy Gary

Thank you for your cander I will do your design justice Looks like its going to be a great build I always loved English aircraft something about them that they appeal to me.. I been toying with an Idea last night thinking about printing a black and white model of this and painting it as a military version, Splendering in the color of yellow,dark Green and Dark earth. useing my airbrush, I I can airbrush color before cutting out the parts. thanks Gary for your reply.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-bbowwiimaincopy.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-78-44.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Thumbs up Stabilizer and rudder assembly Finished

Ahoy
the build still continues, for the update pictures for now will have more tonight. I cutted out and assembled the Rudder and stabilizer assemblies. Scince there was no spar in the kit I decided to go further After cutting out the stabilizer and rufdder I traced them both on some backing material, Then I removed about 3/32 nds away from the leading and trailing edges of the stabilizer and rudder so that it will be enought room to close up the rudder and stabilizer halfs together. I made false ribs useing again back up materual glued the false ribs on the backing materieal reinforcement peices. When dry I glued the backing false spar and ribs to the bottom half of the stabilizer and next I saturated the top stabilizer with elmers white glue until the paper started to sag. I closed up the top section to mate with the backing and bottom stabilizer half adn worked in the paper around the ribs until you can see the ribs showing through, Let dry burnished the edges. on the installation of the stabilizer to the fuselodge emperage, there is a location line printed on the fuselodge where the stabilizer will fit inside the slited location line instead of cutting out this slit I made four holes ran four toothpicks cutted off the ends so it can simulate dowling made same on the stabilizer root where they join the fuselodge. glued the unit into fuselodge makeing certain the stabilizers are square with the fuselodge, the rudder assembly was done the same way as the stabilizer but only difference is that i saturated both sides of the rudder so that you can see both side of the ribs showing throught made a hole on the center of the rudder root and same on the fuselodge and glued it into position. Here are the update pictures more tinight.
Attached Thumbnails
deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0001.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0002.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0003.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0004.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0005.jpg  

deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0006.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0007.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0009.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0010.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0011.jpg  

deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0012.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0013.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0014.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0015.jpg   deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0016.jpg  

deHavilland Dragon 1 Raptide-pict0017.jpg