PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
C-141, a Father/Daughter Project

As part of a school assignment, my daughter had to interview a family member and create a display based on their findings. She found out that her Grandpa was a crew chief in the Air force and worked on this type of airplane, I believe it was #129 while stationed at McChord AFB in Tacoma WA in the mid 60's. When she found this out she wanted to make "one of those models that you do dad" - (AKA paper model) as part of her display. I said "sure - sounds good to me", so we went off in search of our subject... in our case it was the C-141 Starlifter. Thanks to many of you especially Ashrunner we were able to locate and build this model.

In our first session we cut out the parts and numbered each piece. Working together this took little over an hour to complete. My daughter Maddy used scissors to cut out the square pieces of the fuselage, while I used an exacto knife for the more intricate pieces. We also mounted the formers to some chipboard from the back of a tablet.

Earlier today we began to assemble everything - Everything went smoothly....

First, Maddy glued the glue tabs onto the all of the different fuselage sections....

Here she rolled and formed each section...After showing her how to do this, she went on to complete all of the fuselage sections and the four jet engines....

After rolling each piece, we glued them together and set them aside to dry...

Next we began to glue the completed sections together - this proved to be a little challenging so dad had to help out a bit here...

Everything is beginning to take shape...Next, we added the wings and other control surfaces to our little project...and before we knew it we were done!

That's it. It took us about 3 hours to put everything together...To finish it up, Maddy touched up the edges with some colored sharpies and that was that. The C-141 was ready to go! The whole thing really turned out very nice - I know that Grandpa will love it. We both had a lot fun working on this little project together. Now I just have to get her to build some nice armor!:D

We hope you enjoy this as much as we did and hope to see some of your co-op builds here in the future!

Happy modeling
Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! Not only a great build, but an inspiring build by two generations. That's what this hobby is all about!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Cool! I'm hoping my little one joins me in making models when he gets a few years older.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Congratulations to Maddy for building such a fine model and cheers to Dad for encouraging, teaching, and helping.

This thread made my day!

Don
Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Truly a great story here. Looks like your daughter has a future in modeling:D
Like others have said, I hope my son gets excited about this hobby. Course, he's only 9 months old, so I have some time.
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Great build and congrats Maddy on the fine work. I'm glad I was able to help with this wonderful thread.

My first job in the Air Force was as an aircraft refueler. Assigned to Elmendorf AFB in the early '70s, I worked with MAC Combat Pacers. There wasn't a C-141 in the inventory at the time that I didn't get up close and personal with.

Nice to see a model of that great aircraft.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Great job, Maddy! That's something to be proud of, and I'm sure you'll get lots of your friends at school asking how you could have made that out of paper! Congratulations.

Kevin, kudos to you for this experience with your daughter. It seem only yesterday our daughter was Maddy's age. In two weeks we're leaving on a trip to visit her for her wedding. They grow up so fast...Hold on to these moments as long as you can...they're precious!

Best,
Bruce
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
What a fun way to get together! And a fine looking model as a result. Congratulations to both of you and thank you for sharing with us.

Best Wishes,
Thomas
Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Congrats to you both. Nice project and nice model. Lots-o-fun.