PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very nice boxes and seats! And I think the fiddly bits require more patience to complete well. Especially inside bits - knowing that only the people who read this thread and you will ever know if you butcher it
Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 AM

This model has lots of great detail. These are the yokes.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-13-small.jpg   Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-14-small.jpg  
Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nicely done. Very clean work. This is going to be a good-looking model.

Don
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM

Thanks Don

The 1:20 scale makes the builds a good bit easier as the parts at 165% are close to twice the size. Upscaling does create difficulties as I mentioned before .....thick card becomes hard to bend. I'll point out some of these difficulties when they arise.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very nice work! The difficulty for me with upbuilding would be ending up with a 3' wingspan model that I wouldn't have a place for. I'm enjoying watching the progress on this one
Old 05-31-2008, 07:13 PM

Sorry to keep back tracking to this but, I can't see too much wrong with this model regarding the fit of the cockpit "cover", the hood. I get a surprisingly good fit for the outer skin and I expect the inner skin to take up some space and improve the fit. The incorrect line up of the cockpit sides by andreask on kartonbau.de caused the need to lower the cockpit hood that was achieved by removing a section of the frame support for the hood, to reduce the frames diameter. I don't have to do this. I've show the good fit I've got and where andreask cut out a section of the frame (red arrow) in the second picture.

My problem with the hood is that its really hard to make...lots of skin joins with out much support underneath (guide to the shape). The design could possibly be improved by including the lower section of the hood (the section with the windows) into the cockpit sides. This would simplify the build on the upper layer and you have a big crease there anyway so it may as well be a join. The designer has decided to make the join between the hood and the cockpit sides further down the cockpit where it is flat. This makes sense and is probably a good call.

I'm not used to this sort of building as I've been making Halinski models that tend to have a frame at every join in the skin. Halinski would probably have modelled the internal framing to offer better support rather than mark the internal frames on the inner skin. You know all those little cockpit frame members you have to make on those kits.

To find nothing too much wrong with the model to this stage is a big relief and I now expect to get to the end without too many hitches. I'm sure the designers/publishers know what they are doing. One thing they might not do is get niave builders to test the instructions and interpretation of the parts and there markings. If you are in the know you can easily overlook the pit falls.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-15-small.jpg   Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-16-small.jpg  
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM

Dan you are almost right about the 3' wingspan. I printed out a wing frame and the measure up puts the tip to tip length at about 43". Can't wait to show a post of one of these enormous wings. Mind you even at this scale they are still pretty detailed.

This is a really detailed model!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 PM

I've jumped ahead to step 10 (the wings) to make sure these are going to fit into the sides of the cockpit before I skin the cockpit. I also wanted to show how big this model is going to be and make progress on the frame cuting. This model has lots of spars and frames so I'm going to do as much frame and spar work as the tip of my right index finger can bare.

I've been double cutting the frames. First step is to spray adhere the 200gsm inkjet print to 0.6mm (3/128th) card and then cut with an exacto knife or scissors. The next step is to spray adhere (large part) or white glue (small part) the thickened part from the first step to 0.9mm (3/64th) card and then cut with an exacto knife. Last step is a quick clean up with sand paper. This makes the thick parts a lot easier to make as the curved parts are cut with scissors on thin card. The second cut uses the parts from the first step as the guide (same as using a ruler) and adds all the thickness. Finish thickness is about 1.65mm (1/16th).

The first and second picture show the layout of the wings, not yet glued, and how they dwarf my 5cm (2in) scale cube. I needed to do a bit of trimming to get everything to line up. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

The third picture shows the very interesting frame and spar setup for the wings on this model. Part 30 and 30a are printed together in the kit with part 30a stepped into part 30. You have to cut them up the midlle (along the line of the main spar) to separate them and this creates tabs on part 30a (under the cube) and a slot in part 30. The main spar has slots in it and the tabs in part 30a are pushed through the slot in the main spar (arrows) to join with its old friend part 30. The minor spars, the ones perpendicular to the main spar, then slot into part 30/30a from the front and back of the wing. This makes a really strong and square frame. Good design.
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-17-small.jpg   Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-18-small.jpg   Orlik Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79 Sparviero-image-19-small.jpg  
Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent craftsmanship! Very clean and square.

Thanks for the detailed information on your techniques.

Don
Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Big big airplane, and looking good!
Google Adsense