PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Back in business...took a break, got myself back under control and re-motivated and will carry on.

Moving aft...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-19.jpg

Further aft...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-20.jpg

Note the opening for the cooler exhaust...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-21.jpg

Horizontal stabilizer attached and fillets installed...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-22.jpg

Rudder and elevators in place (not glued yet...)

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-23.jpg

Wing framework done, wheel wells installed...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-24.jpg

Pre-shaping of the port wing underway...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-25.jpg

Preliminary test fit of the skin. I think it's going to be okay this time...

Mustang I (Marek with Ohlsson recolor)-build-26.jpg

Take your time on the wing frame. Double check fits and make sure you don't build a twist into the frame. The wheel wells were perfect fits into the frame. Make sure none of the well edges protrude beyond the ribs - this will interfere with good skin fit.

Leave the gun-sight off until you are ready to put the canopy in place. I have broken it off 3-4 times and lost little bits of it in the process.

Last edited by YankeeBoy; 05-05-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Attachment corrections
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see you back at work on this one. It looks good. Very smooth construction on the wing!

Don
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Looking good!
I keep staring at the cooler exhaust and cannot stop thinking how to open it up a bit to better depict plane parked on the ground.
Well, will experiment with it when the time comes for AG522 to come to life
Old 05-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Gremir - that would require constructing separate doors front and rear that could hang down. I am still thinking about doing that on a future Mustang I build but haven't gotten around to designing it. If I ever do it I would try to fix the profile of the dog house also to better represent the flatter profile and more squared off cross-section of the Mustang I and P-51. That's for another day though...
Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
HA!
Problem solved - I found whole bunch of photos of Allison Mustangs with the cooler exhaust doors closed in the parked planes
For some reason I always thought that they supposed to be open when plane is on the ground, but I guess it's the same situation as with the wheel doors - open only when needed...
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM

From my readings it appears that the dog house doors on the Mustang I and P-51 were controlled by the pilot. I remember reading that pilots could get fined for forgetting to open them when running up the engine or taxiing and causing the engine to overheat. There should at least be the door outline represented on the model (and of course the pexky dog house shape issue remains.)
Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
It's so good to see you progressing so effectively. Tail end looks beautiful, as do the wings.

The only other wings I've built with wheel wells was the Airacobra by Halinski. I believe you were actually supposed to build the wheel wells glued to the skin (as with other details such as cooling ducts and stuff; corresponding to the landing lights and cartridge chutes on this one).

What do you think about such a procedure - building everything on to the wing skin, then very carefully wrap the whole contraption with stuff hanging from it around the framework - too risky?

I gather you come from the balsa formers & longerons generation, as do I, and it took me awhile to get over the shock of having to do it the Halinski way. Good to see that you managed to do it the oldfashioned way, building a framework first, then attach everything to that. I'd much like to do it that way myself.

Come to think of it, about the only model I've come across totally designed to be built that oldfashioned way was Jan Müller's DH Comet (the red racer from the 30s, not the airliner).

I'm rambling. Anyways, good to see this. - L.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM

I suspect that the well-to-skin and then all that to the frame would work. The route I am taking is more comfortable to me. I absolutely prefer a solid, self-supporting framework over which the skin sections are placed. I am not a fan of the more prevalent section by section build technique with only a bulkhead or two and no real longitudinal support. I am definitely from the old "stick and tissue" school of keel, frames and longerons.

If you have not tried one of Pawel Mistewicz's designs (look here) and in many Maly Modeler issues, I recommend them highly. He uses a robust frame which is then skinned and his designs almost click together because of their exceptional fit. If I were ever to try designing I would try to emulate him.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wait...Wasn't the first air commando the unit made from the remnants of the flying tigers?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM

1st ACG was originally formed as the 5318th Air Unit specifically to provide ground support to the Chindit forces in Burma and was re-designated as 1st ACG in 1944. It was a composite outfit with it's own fighters, bombers, transports, gliders and liaison aircraft and was commanded by a former AVG pilot, Colonel John R. Alison. You may be thinking of the 23rd Fighter Group which was the successor to the AVG in the CBI theater and was commanded by Colonel Robert Lee scott.
Google Adsense