PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
Sally B was one of 3 B17's used in the making of the film The Memphis Belle (1 was lost in an accident on take off,footage of the crash was used in the film) Sally still wears the markings from filming.Sally B also starred in the UK TV series We'll meet again where she flew as a bare metal ship the Ginger Rogers,she flew in the polished bare metal until the great English weather meant she had to be painted.

Ahoy Phil
Thank you your right in 1990 I was watching behind the sceens of the makeing of the movie The Memphis Belle it showed that B-17 smokeing and crashed on the take off run. WOWWWWWWWWWWwww what a waste between Sally B and the Liberty Belle that two Fortress that was lost not to many left prabaly 4 left in the whole intire world. It was a shame we lost these two B-17s. I wonder if they had APU on Board Liberty Belle. APU,s have a bad rep when it comes to fire onboard aircraft

Sally B looks better all natural Aluminum then Olive Drabb with Nuetral gray. I am going to do another B-17 build useing rons kit this time I am going to have it printed on Red River paper like Billy had his done it would truely look hell of a lot better then the printed color that whats on the printing. Phil I appreciate the info here mush good food for thought here. Thanks you the man.

Boats
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Boats there are according to this site 13 Forts still airworthy although I read somewhere not all are actually flying at the moment B-17 — The Flying Fortress Survivors Sally B still performs on the display circuit but insurance is becoming more of an issue each year.The bare metal finish although much better looking was just impossible to maintain in the UK weather where she was often acting more as a flying submarine than a plane,I remember many very wet Bank Holidays at West Malling!!. I look forward to seeing you build a Red River version the metal effect really makes the Fortress stand out.I remember the old Airfix kit of the Bit O Lace and have always consider that to be what a B17 should look like!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
Boats there are according to this site 13 Forts still airworthy although I read somewhere not all are actually flying at the moment B-17 — The Flying Fortress Survivors Sally B still performs on the display circuit but insurance is becoming more of an issue each year.The bare metal finish although much better looking was just impossible to maintain in the UK weather where she was often acting more as a flying submarine than a plane,I remember many very wet Bank Holidays at West Malling!!. I look forward to seeing you build a Red River version the metal effect really makes the Fortress stand out.I remember the old Airfix kit of the Bit O Lace and have always consider that to be what a B17 should look like!
Ahoy Phil

thanks again Phil for your replies I am honered to you, I had no Idea that there were 13 Forts left After the demise of Liberty Belle I assumed that there only a half of a hand full left in existance today. I am relieved of that perhaps they will get them all flying. Here in Dayton Ohio at the Museume we have SHo Sho Baby all Olive with Nuetral Gray it is still flyable it is inside the museume. OHhhhhhhhhhhh YESssssssssssss The Old Airfix kit Phil I have a treat for you and Grandson Peter. The photo below is a 1964 kit of the old Airfix Kit I had and built this kit scince 1964 I paid a $1.29 for it I airbrushed it all with pactra aluminum she is a little old but it is all there. thank Phil for the update on this when I finish my 110 I am going to build the Gomix flymodel Chowhound B-17 Here she is just for you.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-pict0005.jpg   Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-pict0006.jpg   Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-pict0007.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Boat's thank you for the pictures,they bring back memories I had several copies of that kit,the first given to me by my brother built up,played with to destruction unfortunately.As well as the Airfix kit of her I also grew up with the attached poster on my wall!.Now to return the favour my friend some good news for you,a visit to another page on that survivors site shows that there are around 23 on static display with up to 4 more being restored to flying and a further 3 for static display. Duxford's other Fortress the Mary Alice is under restoration at the moment probably for static display.
B-17G — The Flying Fortress Survivors
I used to have the Franklin Mint model of Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby (the crew put one to many Shoos on her) Thanks again for the pictures Boat's
Attached Thumbnails
Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-backside.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Great links Phil - and thanks to our Skipper for putting the Airfix Bit O' Lace up for viewing - She's a treasure, i keep saying i will get this one again and build her up some day, the original kit had a few fit issues, but then again, most Airfix kits had issues - that i think, was kind of a challenge.
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Great links Phil - and thanks to our Skipper for putting the Airfix Bit O' Lace up for viewing - She's a treasure, i keep saying i will get this one again and build her up some day, the original kit had a few fit issues, but then again, most Airfix kits had issues - that i think, was kind of a challenge.

Ahoy
Thanks Grandson Peter I had this scince 1964 all those years, looking at this old kit compared to the newer plastic kits that are on the market there are some errors on the kit in scale preportions, But what the hey back in 1964 there was no nitpicking you were lucky to be the first one on the block to have a Flying Fortress.Revells old Memphis Belle had a good kit I have one of those too. But the od Airfix kit is a classic aiplane indeed.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-pict0002.jpg   Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-78-44.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy
Thanks Grandson Peter I had this scince 1964 all those years, looking at this old kit compared to the newer plastic kits that are on the market there are some errors on the kit in scale preportions, But what the hey back in 1964 there was no nitpicking you were lucky to be the first one on the block to have a Flying Fortress.Revells old Memphis Belle had a good kit I have one of those too. But the od Airfix kit is a classic aiplane indeed.

Boats
I remember my dad building this Airfix version, i soooo loved the rivet detail - of course this detail was OVER done, but it was better than no detail those days. Some manufacturers had just smooth skins, and sparse on the panel lines too, with the airfix product, i sanded the rivet detail down, but not that far that it was gone altogether - just enough to let you know it was there. I used to emphasise the panel lines with a scribe and dirty them up on the undercoat, with top coat over that gave some good appearance. I'd like to get hold of the kit again. I gave mine away to make space here, and now i'm making a huge 1:33 scale BUFF... doesn't make sense really, but hey, anything for a BUFF, but thats me Grandad - a NUTTER
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
I remember my dad building this Airfix version, i soooo loved the rivet detail - of course this detail was OVER done, but it was better than no detail those days. Some manufacturers had just smooth skins, and sparse on the panel lines too, with the airfix product, i sanded the rivet detail down, but not that far that it was gone altogether - just enough to let you know it was there. I used to emphasise the panel lines with a scribe and dirty them up on the undercoat, with top coat over that gave some good appearance. I'd like to get hold of the kit again. I gave mine away to make space here, and now i'm making a huge 1:33 scale BUFF... doesn't make sense really, but hey, anything for a BUFF, but thats me Grandad - a NUTTER

Ahoy Grandson Peter
Thank you for your warm and most welcomed replies. I havent seen this kit on the model shelves for more then 35 years I know they still make this kit. I would say get a hold of the squadron they have everything on stock there all of the old airfix kits you had scince boyhood. Another treat for the classics in plastic is the Lindberg B-17 that wasn,t to shabby of a kit a little larger then the the traditional 1/72snd scale kit. I had one of those when I was a kid more of a gimic model it had retractable landing gear and controll surfaces I think my old Airfix kit it has retractable landing gear too. those wewre very truely great kits for the day we all had fun playing with them, when i was kid 5 or 6 years old I built these me and my buddies use to play war we flip a cpoin who is going to be the germans I will I build a Fw190 an old Aurora kit, we had a ball back in those days. nowdays these kids they are all on drugs take guns to school kill and deal. this all comes from bad parenting they become a product of their invirment. Very sad. Thanks again for the reply i am very honered to you.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-bbowwiimaincopy.jpg   Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-78-44.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy Grandson Peter
Thank you for your warm and most welcomed replies. I havent seen this kit on the model shelves for more then 35 years I know they still make this kit. I would say get a hold of the squadron they have everything on stock there all of the old airfix kits you had scince boyhood. Another treat for the classics in plastic is the Lindberg B-17 that wasn,t to shabby of a kit a little larger then the the traditional 1/72snd scale kit. I had one of those when I was a kid more of a gimic model it had retractable landing gear and controll surfaces I think my old Airfix kit it has retractable landing gear too. those wewre very truely great kits for the day we all had fun playing with them, when i was kid 5 or 6 years old I built these me and my buddies use to play war we flip a cpoin who is going to be the germans I will I build a Fw190 an old Aurora kit, we had a ball back in those days. nowdays these kids they are all on drugs take guns to school kill and deal. this all comes from bad parenting they become a product of their invirment. Very sad. Thanks again for the reply i am very honered to you.

Boats

I forgot these

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-pict0019.jpg   Rons40,s memorial B-17 build-pict0020.jpg