PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Zioprudenzio P51D in 1/72 scale

We've all been busy downloading Zio's models, and since I was in the market for a new project, I decided to document my build of one his beautiful aircraft kits. They are all wonderful, but I selected one of the P51Ds - the "Creamer's Dream" flown by Lt. Charles White of the 301st FS/ 332nd FG (better known as the Tuskegee Airmen). It's a famous airplane with 2 kills, and very colorful with it's red tail and naughty nose art.

I'm not sure what scale Zio's P51Ds are, but when shrunk to fit on letter sized paper, they are significantly smaller than 1/72 (based on wingspan measurement). I had to convert the PDF to a jpeg, and use Photoshop to move the pieces closer together so I could print a true 1/72 scale model without any cropping.

Zio's model has a unique assembly method that I've never tried before. Instead of using internal glue strips, or a single glue tab with overlapping paper, Zio employs double glue tabs which are folded down and glued to each other to form the part. My first inclination was to just use the skins and do my own thing with strips/tabs, but I decided to build the model as designed. We'll see how it works out.

I'm working on the fuselage now - photos to come.
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Looking forward to this one - would be great to start seeing some build threads for these newly available models (yep, I know, I've already said I'll do one on one of the figurines when I get chance!)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm doing one of the kubelwagons now and will post when done. The only other ZP model I've built is the Stuka (years ago) and ZP does have his own design style for assembly.
Can't wait to see this one and hear your take on the experience.
Chris
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Hello Don

I have at the event of back of Zio a few models, I build CR 42 and show here, the assembly method is useful, but needed more atention and gluing skills to make fuselages. I believe Zios use a development of 3D views to make the models, is a old hand draw method...

Watch with interest...

Best regards...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM

I appreciate you interest fellas. Nice blog gomidefilho - and VERY nice work on the Cr 42. Looks to be one of your 1/100 scale masterpieces. I am finding that forming the fuselage Zio's way is a bit more labor intensive than I'm used to. I'm concerned about a banana forming as I start gluing up the tabs, so I'll be taking extra care x 2 with this one.

Chris, I didn't download Zio's Stuka. It just looks off to me in the photo of the finished model. Something not right with the wings. Were you happy with the way your's turned out? If so, I'll make it a point to download one of the versions. Believe it or not, I have yet to build a Ju87.
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Believe it or not, I have yet to build a Ju87.
Oh, what a heavy burden to bear.

You're right on the Stuka. It's a great little model, and more accurate than the photos look, but the method of attaching the wings at the base is somewhat problematic. I've built the kit three times and each model looks different that the others for that reason alone. But it is a nice Stuka, in fact it's one of the best looking of the smaller scale kits. The colors are off more than anything, but that's true of most Stuka kits. The Picchiatello is the best looking of the three IMHO, but a little color adjustment on the others would really help them. Worth a build as long as you are getting used to ZP's assembly style which is definitely unique!
Chris
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Here are a pair that I built a while back. The "Dallas Doll" version is the original Zio kit. The Israeli version was a repaint I did with his permission and is scaled up to 1/72. I changed a few things like the canopy and wing root design.

Ryan
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM

They both look great Ryan! I hope mine comes out half as good. I was concerned about the lack of wing fairings or dihedral in Zio's design, but your models sure look nice regardless. In your photo you can plainly see how much smaller than 1/72 the stock kit is. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I look forward to seeing your build, Don, and appreciate seeing Ryan's Mustangs and Péricles' blog (very nice workspace).

My contribution to the Ziofest is the Carden-Loyd Mk.VI machine gun carrier with a thread and photos coming soon.

(The other) Don
Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Thank's my friends!

I reescaled and printed a Fokker DR I, D VII and Korozawa Ko 3 ( Japan build of Nieuport 24), I started soon...
Google Adsense