Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Oooo, thanks Rick!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
As for A-10s, i know of the following, Pmodel, MM, and Fly Model, and the aforemention Eastern version and Geli.

By no means complete, those who know better please chime in and correct me

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Scott, that plane does not show time passing by it!! It is a really beautiful design and paper.

I hope you can finish it by this year, since it already jump the century lap... 10 years in the making!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Thanks Rick!

Boy I need to get better organized............... no wait................ that's what you guys are for!:D

john

My Drawings
Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I didn't have a scanner yet when I started the A-10, but I had made a couple of B&W photocopies before I started cutting (aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!) up the original. I bought all of the Geli models a local hobby shop had over time, and copied them all. As "test" builds, I built 2 of them with the parts sheets reduced to US letter size, using manilla folders for the structural parts, and regular copy paper for the skins. I had planned on painting them eventually, but never did (never finished the HE-111, either.) Here's a few pix I snapped earlier of them. There's a 3rd B&W, the T-6, that I copied onto cardstock for a stronger build. That one I actually did start painting, but wasn't quite satisfied with it.

Anyway, that's why I actually buit the original A-10, I wanted color, and the original size.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
Geli A-10-geli-fw-189-1.jpg   Geli A-10-geli-fw-189-2.jpg   Geli A-10-geli-he-111-1.jpg   Geli A-10-geli-he-111-2.jpg   Geli A-10-geli-both.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Picked up two Geli kits on Ebay. They have their problems. presently building their JU52. Nice, large scale, but some of the engineering I would have done differently. Good printing, but ho-hum directions. Right on the money in some cases then, all of sudden they screw up numbers and get vague. But I'll plug along and finish it. Am a returning paper modeler and there seem to be alot of new publishers on the market. Some of the illustrated directions from Halincki I've seen on this forum are very impressive. Any comments as far as rating publishers would be very helpful to me.
Allan
Old 07-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Geli Kits seem to range from the very cartoonish (mainly due to some really weird color schemes) to the very realistic. Their Martinair DC-3 and Austrian DC-9 are both very nice--and BIG. The DC-9 is about 3 feet long, but the only hard part is cutting out all those *&^%$#@! windows! The metallic inks in the kits really makes these two into impressive models that stand up well next to GPM and Halinski models.
--David
Old 07-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutt2 View Post
Picked up two Geli kits on Ebay. They have their problems. presently building their JU52. Nice, large scale, but some of the engineering I would have done differently. Allan
I added balsa longerons and other internal bracing to the fuselage of the Ju-52, and beefed up the wing spars with balsa. That seemed to help.

You also asked for some general comments on other publishers' kits. Here goes:
GPM has long set the quality standard for mid-range, mid-difficulty kits. Maly Modelarz has been catching up fast in the past few years with number of excellent offerings. MM's Nakajima Kate is one of the nicest kits I've ever done in fit and finish. The best Maly kits are from about 1998 and newer.

Fly Model kits are close to or equal to GPM in quality, especially the newer Fly Model/Gomix kits. (FM is redrawing a some of their older kits and really improving the quality.)

Halinski seems to be the gold standard for beautifully drawn, highly-detailed kits. Not for the beginner but not as intimidating as they look at first glance.

That said, there are some new publishers coming into the market through US importers (Paper Model Store, PMI, and the like) that look to be the equal of GPM, Fly Model, and Halinski. And downloadable kits from Gremir, Digital Navy, Skyline, Dewayne, and others are also excellent. The fact is, this is a great time to get into the hobby because there is so much available.

If you're wondering about a particular kit or kits, ask here. You'll probably find someone who has built it or at least bought it.

That's my two cents worth. What do the rest of you think?

No worries,
--David
Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Location: recently, North Carolina. Florida doesn't matter anymore
Total Downloaded: 1.40 GB
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
OK........ wasn't there a free A-10 around at one time...................anybody else remember it?

john

Yes there was and is still around. I've forgotten the web site but do have a digital copy. I'll check my files for info.

Scissors rocks paper
Dennis
Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Geli AT6G Texan

Geli models produce aircraft with an exceptional look! The metal coated paper is difficult to work with but the results are rewarding. My AT6 Texan did not turn out too bad.
Google Adsense