PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Welcome back, Don! Glad to see the Breda coming along....

Wyvern
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for stopping in Péricles, Leif, Ray, Don, and Wyvern.

After a long hiatus, I have resumed work on the Breda with mixed results.
The first two images show me burnishing the wing tips to curve them. I glued them up and set them aside to dry while I cut out the pieces of the empennage.

Tora-chan came to visit (image 3) and settled down to watch me cut out the parts of the stabilizer (image 4).

I burnished the two halves of each stabilizer into an appropriate curve, then carefully glued the edges together. I think in image 5 you can see a stabilizer on the half shell as well as the 0.5mm spar I used to strengthen the glued up stabilizers.

Images 6 and 7 show the completed tail assembly. I glued a piece of No. 78 brass wire into each of the stabilizer struts and snipped off the ends, leaving about 1/16” to be inserted into tiny holes in the fuselage and undersurface of the stabilizers.

Images 8 and 9 show the wing spar and the wing being glued together. So far so good.

But image 10 reveals a substantial problem of fit. I will have to sleep on this and see how it looks in the morning. Just now, it seems unresolvable.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-007.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-008.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-009.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-010.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-011.jpg  

Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-012.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-013.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-014.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-015.jpg   Zio Breda 65 (94 Squadriglia)-breda-65-016.jpg  

Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Image 4 is entirely captivating. Glad to see you're back on this one, both for the enjoyment of seeing you work and for my own greedy desire to see someone else make my mistakes before me. Although I can't see that you've made a single one. The spars are an excellent idea; while I've had no real problem fitting the tail wings, they've all had to be babysat through the glue drying phase; your spar solution takes care of the nicely.
I've had similar fit problems on the main wing/fuselage connection and found that if I fiddled enough with the shape of the fuselage that I could usually conform it satisfactorily to fit the wing. But I think this is a weak spot in most of Zio's aircraft designs. While workable, it's not always really a good fit. I seem to remember having particular problems with the Me 109 and my botched SM 79. AS we've learned, many of Zio's designs depend upon a more than usual amount of paper stressing.
What I've found works well for me (and I think DoctorMax did as well) is to attach the upper and lower wings at the fuselage before gluing the wings themselves together. Once the main connection is solid, I work my way out to the ends of the wings. One two of them there were misfits on the wingtips, but they were much easier to deal with than the fuselage join.
From your build so far, it doesn't seem like there are any other issues than the unresolvable image 10 fit problem?
I know you'll make it work and it will be an interesting comparison when I get to mine and try my approach to see which works better (if either does).
It certainly is looking good otherwise!
Chris
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Don Cjwalas is correct, I believe solved the problem, is made more stressing in fuselage, to made a bit large, for me solved the fit problem.

Zio designs is a hand made, he use a method for unfolding a 3 view plant in photoshop, the unfolding is correct in 90% of case, but in more situations no capture the correct form of planes. But the Zio work is pionner, all models made in 1999 or 2000 is a reasonable error.

The work in Breda is amazing, the suport for fit is a great idea.

I watch with interesting...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Don, we share the same name, the same hobby, and it looks like we share the same cat too - yours is a dead ringer for my Leo (named after a cow, believe it or not). Your Breda looks beautiful. Inspirational. I hope you can spread the center fuselage enough to meet the wings. This is going to be a real beauty when its finished.
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looking awesome, Don! Love the cat!

Wyvern
Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I appreciate these very thoughtful, ecouraging, and helpful comments Chris, Péricles, Wyvern, and Don Prime (please pass on my regards to Leo).

Chris and Péricles - I believe you are on target with regard to the squeezing of the fuselage to almost make the parts match up, but Chris and DoctorMax are on to something else with the idea of attaching the wings to the fuselage and then bringing the center of the wings together. That solution is too late for this model, since I have already fabricated the wings, but it leads to another underlying issue: dihedral. I notice that the dihedral of Zio's models sometimes seems a bit extreme. I estimate that if I were to use the "attach wings to fuselage and then bring wing center section together" approach (without the spar), the dihedral would be exaggerated.

I will have a brief period available for work on the Breda tonight, and will do some squeezing and massaging to see how it goes. I rather suspect the final solution will be a combination of fuselage squeezing, the addition of an additional inboard strip to the upper surfaces of the wings, and as a last resort, some judicious increase in dihedral (by cuting through the center of the spar and regluing).

Oh, and Chris, wait until you get to the leading edge of the wing center section. My initial exploration leads me to think that there is no way to close up the gap between the center section leading edge and the front of the fuselage satisfactorily short of magic.

More later. I am off to meet my coeditor on the next book project, then hope to stave off importunate publishers by finishing and sending in a manuscript review.

Don
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Ha Don! Nice to progress on your projects, I suspect the book does need breaks now and then, regards the model unfortunate to have problems in the design, those who have worked designing are unhappy to find something doesn't work, and although solutions may be simpler as adding a strip of paper here or there it is disappointing, and not too many reviews of the model to go by. I found it interesting when building a design repeatedly that the same little problem spot would show up, so spending more time building and rebuilding a design is preferrable if one has the option...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Don, my friend,
this 65 breda grows quite well. You built a very precise.

Many of the problems I have them solved by taking time to think.
- During the night when the mind rests.
- Or during the time of my 10 km race.
...But, I do not have a cat who can help me.

Ciao.
Orazio
Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Looking real good, Don. I wish you patience as you work on all those rocker arm covers. I like your idea for the proper dihedral. Good thinking.

Jeff
Google Adsense