PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Thai Paperwork HV-22J (Model Worx repaint)

Hi All

Been a member of this forum for years, but for some reason, I don't post as much as I should, definitely going to make an effort to change that. In the next few weeks, I'll start photographing my existing builds and post them here.

However, this thread is different. I finally decided to make the step-up... connector strip and former models

I'm up for a challenge and I always liked the look of Nobi's models, so I picked the HV-22J Osprey in USCG "what-if" colours. Winter has hit here, so I have the time. One thing though, I tend to build multiple models at a time, so, this might take a few weeks to build.

Any advice/criticism is welcome.

Niki
Google Adsense
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 AM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
Looking forward for the post.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Don't be afraid Niki! I'm making the same step up right now, and it's going well for me! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes together for you.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Hi Niki;
I am glad to see some one building this kit. If you plan on using any of the detail parts and have any questions please get ahold of me, I made up the repaint and the detailing set. I started to build this one myself have not finished it yet. Lazyness, not the kit, LOL. Look forward to seeing how it turns out!
Jeff
Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
it's about time you got back to being active over here! hehehehe. This should be a good one. I've been curious about this one myself.
Google Adsense
Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Okay, messed up my first section... thankfully it's paper, so, reprint! The placement of the formers, where? Flush with the edge or just inside the glue tabs?

Niki
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikischutt View Post
Okay, messed up my first section... thankfully it's paper, so, reprint! The placement of the formers, where? Flush with the edge or just inside the glue tabs?

Niki
You may need to trim some of the formers off if you want them to go flush with the edge, but normally it's safe to sit them just behind the glue tabs, designs don't generally account for paper thickness of the glue tabs, hence the trimming. A few attempts at this, and you'll have it mastered
Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Hello all

So far:

I'm not happy with the way the cockpit is coming out. The plastic I used for the windows is too thick and messes up the natural curvature of the paper and consequently the correct forward fuselage shape. The missing part in the middle is a separate sub-assembly, that needs to be built... again. Still debating on whether I want to do landing gear.

The wings and tail assemblies came out really nice, I'm really happy with those. Up, next, engine pods, I'm going to leave the middle and forward fuselages alone for now (need a rethink on those).

Enjoy!

HV-22J Osprey - a set on Flickr

As usual, any words of advice/criticism is always welcome.

Niki
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Hey Niki;
I checked out your pics of the Osprey build and she looks really good so far!! she looks neat and clean, One suggestion if I may, on the formers they should be glued onto thick card such as cracker or cereal box, I use cracker boxes as we get cereal in the bags...on the engine nacelles the parts that go into the center of the intake should be cut in little less than half and glued to further up looking from the front. on the model they are completely round and should not be so. They are parts 40, 41, see page 14 it shows it very well what I mean.Very nice build!
Jeff
Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman67 View Post
Hey Niki;
I checked out your pics of the Osprey build and she looks really good so far!! she looks neat and clean, One suggestion if I may, on the formers they should be glued onto thick card such as cracker or cereal box, I use cracker boxes as we get cereal in the bags...on the engine nacelles the parts that go into the center of the intake should be cut in little less than half and glued to further up looking from the front. on the model they are completely round and should not be so. They are parts 40, 41, see page 14 it shows it very well what I mean.Very nice build!
Jeff
Jeff, the pics don't show it but I printed the formers on 250gsm card, thick enough so they give support, but also thin enough to have a little "give".

Thanks for the advice, I looked for close-ups, yip, see exactly what you mean.

More to follow.

Niki
Google Adsense