PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
I don't know what Roman wants, but I obtained rights to sell the kit off of my website and I'm working on several re-drawn versions with more accurate panel lines. I've been corresponding with THE L-5 researcher and have been given a good bit of useful information. I've been correcting some serious differences between the aircraft and the real thing (no fault of Romans, just a general lack of information available!).
The only problem is that I've been doing it all in bitmap. I may have to go redo it in some sort of vector format. I'm thinking maybe Inkscape, or find a way to export my GIMP paths... Will see if I can scale the paths up to 1/48.

Ryan
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Hmmm... I've already been able to export the path and import it on top of the vectors in Inkscape. More later. I've got to study...

Ryan
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Ryan, I'll leave this territory to you. Sorry for barging in; it's just that it's so fun to work on free download models, since there's a chance of sharing what you do.

I now realize that the L5 is an integral part of the Lbirds project, and I wish you every bit of luck both with that and the further development of the model.

Leif
Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A very nice exchange -- it is always a pleasure to see your courteous and well-informed postings, Leif, and your responses were entirely professional and good natured, Ryan.

I look forward to whatever happens with regard to this and other future lbird offerings. Lbirds looks like a really exciting site under development and one that I feel some connection with -- I never flew a Corsair, but I did solo in a Piper J-3 and put in a fair amount of back-seat time as an aerial observer in an L-19 (and a little additional time in an RAAF O-1 in Vietnam), so I claim to have the (bare minimum) credentials -- although I think the only real credential required is a love of L-birds and their civilian ilk.

Don
Old 06-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Ryan, I'll leave this territory to you. Sorry for barging in; it's just that it's so fun to work on free download models, since there's a chance of sharing what you do.

I now realize that the L5 is an integral part of the Lbirds project, and I wish you every bit of luck both with that and the further development of the model.

Leif
Actually, if Roman doesn't mind you working on upgrades, I don't mind either. I'm more thinking that if you were willing to wait a few weeks, we might have a better starting point for things such as interiors, etc...

For instance, here's the current wing re-work.

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Very good idea. Like I said, I'll leave it to you to take the lead, of course.

Meanwhile, I was just curious about the feasibility of the transparent windows, so I'll try to do some actual paper-cutting for once to see how it works out - on the existing version.

Leif
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 PM

Working Through Problems

I have been trying to build my own 1/72 L-5, but am coming up against my own limitations of skill and experience.

The workbench is littered with failed Sentinels.

Nothing to do with any shortcomings of the model, which is beautifully designed and engineered so that everything fits well. It's just my fat fingers and lack of hand skill.

My admiration for Ryan's excellent model grows by leaps and bounds.

I'll keep trying. At least the nose assembly and prop are coming together in a passable manner. Eventually, I hope to produce an acceptable fuselage. This weekend, I will get started on Number 3.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-01.jpg   L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-02.jpg  
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Hope you can get it to work! Considering that the L-5 was the first cardmodel kit I'd actually finished all year, I think it fits pretty well. Leif and I have had a discussion and I think I may have to move some of the redraws to 1/48 eventually.
Suggestions - do the center fuselage section first. use strips around the formers in an I shape - AFTER you attach the canopy. I messed up and didn't use the I for my model, and had a difficult time getting the nose cowling attached with the right shape as a result. Still, it turned out looking nice. Roman does good work!

Ryan
Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM

The "capped" formers is a really good suggestion! I hadn't thought about that before, but it would fill the dual purpose of also being joining strips - if I get it correctly... Very nifty!

By the way, I bungled my attempt at doing a transparent canopy. I don't think I'll succeed the way Roman has designed it. I'm sure it's doable in all-paper, but with thin tape instead of paper, it just get's too wobbly, even in 1/48. At some later time I'll try another approach.

Meanwhile, have a look at how this Piper L4 kit has cut the canopy parts:

(Source: Kartonbau.de)

It made me think of yet another way of cutting the canopy, namely letting the side parts of the canopy be an integral part of the fuselage sides, and add the front-top-back part as a unit after building the fuselage. That would leave you room to add a simulated wing spar part inside the fuse, at the top of the sides, helping to stabilize it.

If you think it is a good idea, too, please try it!

Leif
Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM

It is good to see this fine model stimulated so much innovation. I look forward to seeing other efforts and hope eventually to post my own here.

While other, more skilled modelers, work on versions with interiors (Leif's idea on the greenhouse sounds to me as if it would work), I will plug away with the plain vanilla version until I get it approximately right.

Got home today too tired to try your capped former recommendation, Ryan, but will do so tomorrow after a good night's sleep -- and will post the photos of the AHEC AH-1 that I took today.

Don
Google Adsense