PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort View Post
Hope you can get it to work! Considering that the L-5 was the first cardmodel kit I'd actually finished all year, I think it fits pretty well. Leif and I have had a discussion and I think I may have to move some of the redraws to 1/48 eventually.
Suggestions - do the center fuselage section first. use strips around the formers in an I shape - AFTER you attach the canopy. I messed up and didn't use the I for my model, and had a difficult time getting the nose cowling attached with the right shape as a result. Still, it turned out looking nice. Roman does good work!

Ryan
Great idea Ryan - I've been pursuing extra-thick formers, hardened around the edges with CA. I haven't been too satisfied with my results and put the kit away for awhile (usually the kiss of death and followed by completely giving up). Perhaps I'll revisit it this weekend.

I've also had trouble obtaining a satisfactory airfoil as I'm attemting to model the L-5 in flaps-down position. It sure would be easier in 1/48...please consider those re-draws :-)

Adam
Old 06-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Don't worry, they're definitely in progress, it's just that my studies (I'm trying to get a CFI rating) mean I can't go too fast.

Ryan
Old 06-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
The "capped" formers is a really good suggestion! I hadn't thought about that before, but it would fill the dual purpose of also being joining strips - if I get it correctly... Very nifty!

Meanwhile, have a look at how this Piper L4 kit has cut the canopy parts:

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/attachm...hmentid=182943

(Source: Kartonbau.de)

It made me think of yet another way of cutting the canopy, namely letting the side parts of the canopy be an integral part of the fuselage sides, and add the front-top-back part as a unit after building the fuselage. That would leave you room to add a simulated wing spar part inside the fuse, at the top of the sides, helping to stabilize it.

If you think it is a good idea, too, please try it!

Leif
I don't know if I'm good enough to do attempt that canopy idea! I've got a few other thoughts for the future, though.

The I suggestion is just that - a suggestion. I didn't use it myself, but noticed back in Roman's original build that he apparently used that method. I figure that if he used it, it's probably the best way to go. I think I've just about got the bugs out of the ambulance version. Will be testing it next week. Hopefully will be flying the plane in my avatar tomorrow. May get some extra detail pictures while I'm there. Obviously I won't be working on the kit...

Oh, WHERE did you get that L-4 kit Leif? I'd like to get my hands on one besides the FG one which isn't too hot.

Ryan
Old 06-28-2008, 03:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Ryan, I don't have that kit - the photo was from a review of a Model Card kit at Kartonbau.de (follow the link). Unfortunately, the reviewer says the kit is no longer available...

Leif
Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Further on Failed Sentinels

The saga of Boose trying to build an acceptable 1/72d Stinson L-5 Sentinel continues.

Let me repeat that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Roman's fine kit. It is soundly engineered and the parts fit together well. It is just a case of my skill not being up to the model. My problem lies with getting the the center fuselage section folded and glued together accurately. After four unsuccessful attempts, I finally managed to produce one that would have been okay -- and then somehow I dripped water on it and spoiled it. I will begin number six this evening, but meanwhile I am posting these photos to show that there really is a Sentinel under construction in Carlisle, and because I have adopted a couple of minor modifications that might be of use to others.

The first photo shows the parts spread out during construction. Ryan's advice to build the entire center fuselage section, including the cockpit greenhouse, before assembling the fuselage and to glue capping strips on the formers was right on target. In addition, I added joining strips to make it easier to fit the greenhouse to the center fuselage section (indicated by yellow arrows in the first photo).

I also reinforced the area where the top of the greenhouse is glued to the inner wing ribs, as I found this area tended to fold when I pressed the greenhouse top down. It also provides a little more gluing surface for the windscreen. Red arrows in the second photo.

The third photo shows the joining strips for attaching the greenhouse.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-03a.jpg   L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-04a.jpg   L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-05.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 AM

Further on Failed Sentinels 2

The first photo shows all the parts laid out (with previous failed Sentinels in the upper right background). At this point, I felt that I had an acceptable Sentinel about to be assembled, when I noticed the water droplets on the center fuselage and one of the wings. The second photo is a close up of the marred fuselage center section.

I must say that all this has been a useful exercise that has improved my hand skills somewhat, but I will be glad to get this one finished and move on to other projects (including 1/48 versions of the Sentinel).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-06.jpg   L-5 by Kampfflieger-l5-07.jpg  
Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That looks like good clean modeling there, Don. I guess you could fix that and push forward, its does make a point for spraying with krylon, doesn't it, bummer, when GB said a sneeze could be disatrous if not sprayed he may not have been kidding!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 AM

A few more points. First, there should absolutely be connecting strips for the cockpit to fuselage joint. Second. I built the entire bottom half (fuselage) of the cockpit ALL of the way, before adding the canopy. Then I added the formers. I think it works best that way.

Ryan
Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Don,
look; great job in 1:72 scale model.
Excellent report on the resolution of problems reinforcement.

For the "..... marred center fuselage section, "this is a problem for all modellers, I think.

I can say that the use of photographic paper, at least one that I used recently, was more secure for these small incidents.
At least, in a short time, it was possible to remove a stain accidental water (including water colors were disposable, simply drying with absorbent paper).

Orazio
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 AM

Ryan, Glen, and Orazio -- Many thanks for the advice.

Number six, incorporating all the advice (sprayed with Krylon, completed lower center fuselage before adding greenhouse and formers) almost made it. Everything went well, except that some of the cockpit interior showed in front of the windscreen. The problem with the windscreen-fuselage join was due, I think, to a very slight misalignment of the windscreen with the side windows -- tiny misalignments lead to visible gaps in this scale.

I also wasn't quite satisfied with the seam at the bottom, so will go with number seven. Lots of good practice!

Don
Google Adsense