PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Just realizing the canopy issues with Stinsons, looked at photos of the radial engined L-bird Stinson, wow is that a hard looking canopy! I forget it's designation, O-1?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Don I admire your persistant search for excellence
Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glen -- I think the aircraft you are describing is the L-1 Stinson Vigilant, which did, indeed, have a complex greenhouse shape. The cabin greenhouse of the L-5 was not as complex and Roman has done a superb job of capturing the lines of the greenhouse in a way that is actually very simple to fold together. This aircraft would be a breeze for you and for most of the members of this Forum. I'm just a bit of a duffer and in this scale, precision in cutting and bending are necessary.

Incidentally, the beautiful Stinson Reliant also served as a light transport under the designation UC-81.

Barry -- It's always good to hear from you. Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm afraid I've turned a rather simple little model into more of a drama than is warranted, but I thought that perhaps some of the newcomers would find the description of my experiences useful and the old hands could have a bit of a laugh.

As an old L-19 back seater with very brief solo experience in a Piper J-3, I have a real fondness for the military L-planes and am very glad that Ryan is making information on them available, that Roman designed this one, and that Leif and Ryan have further developed it in the 1/48 version.

And as I turn out one slightly flawed L-5 after another, I remember Jim G. cranking out multitudes of flawless Beavers!

More later as the saga continues,

Don
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That's the one, Don you must realize that the designer of a model can make one MUCH easier than anyone else....