PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
All I can say is, WOW! The last picture in particular, "that's paper??" Wish I had room (and the skill) to do something like that.

Scott K.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:23 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Always Save a PDF

Magnificent work Rick. The fine art of the build combined with backup preservation is greatly commendable...,

-Gil
Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The wingtip lights

I believe Texman had a suggestion on the other site that one could make an exact size copy of the wing tip light on the transparency in order to achieve a better fit.

How about making two layers of the transparency - one like you did (coloured), and one exact size (coloured or not coloured; experiment for effect) to be glued onto the bottom layer only at the edges.

This way you might find it easier to achieve both a good fit and a flush positioning.

Interesting problem.

Leif
Old 07-21-2007, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
I considered the added layer but was afraid I'd make a dogs breakfast of it. The cut would have to be spot on to look good. But I think I will try it anyway, it's an intriguing idea. I suppose I could press some thin paper into the depression all the way around to get a "pattern" and go from there.

Thanks for the tip!
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
I believe Texman had a suggestion on the other site that one could make an exact size copy of the wing tip light on the transparency in order to achieve a better fit.

How about making two layers of the transparency - one like you did (coloured), and one exact size (coloured or not coloured; experiment for effect) to be glued onto the bottom layer only at the edges.

This way you might find it easier to achieve both a good fit and a flush positioning.

Interesting problem.

Leif
Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Outstanding stuff

Very good thread to add to the build as well

Keep it up and look forward to a lot more, bigger the better for me

Regards

Rob
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Glazing for Lights etc.

Rick,

I've experimented with Aleene's Paper Glaze for filling instrument dials, portholes and openings for wing lights etc. The glaze comes in a bottle that has a nice dispenser for application. Glazing openings are filled by applying a bead from the backside beginning on the edge and working around the opening spiraling in toward the center until it's filled. Examine the filled area carefully. Use a needle point from the back side to attach any areas around the edge that the glaze has not attached to. Let dry in a horizontal position. The glaze will shrink when dry but remains flexible which allows it to be bent into shape for the leading edge. For a wing tip light a carrier needs to be made to allow the lens to be formed and cut out for installation when dry. The glaze can easily be tinted after it's dry.

-Gil
Old 07-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Sounds like some cool stuff!
Chris
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 AM

That's a nifty idea! And it makes me wonder. I've got some Testors "window maker" cement that I suspect is similar. I wonder if flowing this stuff on TOP of what I've done here would work? Perhaps I'll do a test part and see.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Rick,

I've experimented with Aleene's Paper Glaze for filling instrument dials, portholes and openings for wing lights etc. The glaze comes in a bottle that has a nice dispenser for application. Glazing openings are filled by applying a bead from the backside beginning on the edge and working around the opening spiraling in toward the center until it's filled. Examine the filled area carefully. Use a needle point from the back side to attach any areas around the edge that the glaze has not attached to. Let dry in a horizontal position. The glaze will shrink when dry but remains flexible which allows it to be bent into shape for the leading edge. For a wing tip light a carrier needs to be made to allow the lens to be formed and cut out for installation when dry. The glaze can easily be tinted after it's dry.

-Gil
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
I missed the building reports!

Keep it on, Rick!!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM

To answer my own question, the test part did not give good results. Worked OK up to a point, but as I built it up thicker it just got more and more cloudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
That's a nifty idea! And it makes me wonder. I've got some Testors "window maker" cement that I suspect is similar. I wonder if flowing this stuff on TOP of what I've done here would work? Perhaps I'll do a test part and see.

Rick
Google Adsense