PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
About the circle cutter, I have seen many excellent tutorials about how to use it, and many cries of desperation. I'm not an expert but it seems it would be kind of hard to get by without it. What I do generally, is to go lightly many turns, particularly in the beginning. After that, a good trick seems to be to rotate the piece rather than the circle cutter.

If the material is thick - like the 2mm hard cardboard necessary for the **-parts in 1/16 models - I usually switch over to the back side after a while. The centre pin by then usually has worn through enough to make a convenient centred hole on the back. Cutting from both sides also tends to minimize the wear on the center hole.

However you cut your wheel disks - by hand or by a circle cutter - they will need sanding in a Dremel type machine. Drill a 2 mm hole in all parts, stack up all the disks of the same diameter on a 2 mm bolt and secure tightly with nuts. Use a couple of scrap pieces on each side to protect the parts from compression damages.

For the rims, further cutting is necessary after that, and that's where the little plastic tube comes in. Since there's now a 2 mm hole in the middle, the plastic tube is necessary to make centering possible in spite of this larger hole.

I forgot the real reason for the plastic tube when I wrote the quickie above.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-11-2007 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Getting it right
Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
holy smokes! Awesome tutorial - and just as I near putting the struts and wheels on my plane Thanks for the pics, great help.
Chris
Old 08-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
I once made a quick tutorial with photos on wheel-making.
Nice tutorial Leif. Thank you for that. I've saved a copy to my tutorial documents storage for later use.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Thanks Leif.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
So I've finally got one wheel done (sans the hubs) and here are the steps I took. First, I decided how many treads I wanted. Judging from the previous picture of a real wheel, I initially guessed 36, but they ended up too small, so I tried 30, and thought that looked about right. You can see in this picture that I made a little template to use to make little tick marks around the perimeter on both sides. As for making the template, simple deal. I fired up Excel, and made a plain (no color) pie graph with 30 equal slices! Then cut it to the right diameter with a circle cutter.

Then I connected the dots on both sides with pencil, skipping 3 ticks down on the other side to get a pleasing angle.

Then comes cutting the slots. I tried several things. I tried using the razor saw first, the cutoff wheel first, but finally settled on something I could control better. I used an X-Acto knife to slice around along the lines cutting sort of a V. Then I used the razor saw to deepen and square the slots a little.

Finally, the painted wheel. I don’t have a very steady hand, so this is a bit rough. The lines aren’t exactly straight and the treads aren’t all the same size and shape. Oh well, it looks OK from a handheld distance, and that’s good enough for me.

I was in the hobby shop this weekend and saw some perfect size Dubro R/C wheels with straight tread. I was sorely tempted. Picked them up and put them down about half a dozen times. While I’m not a Paper Purist by any stretch, I finally decided that if I CAN do a decent wheel in paper I will do so rather than wuss out and go with the nice looking rubber ones.

To wrap up this evening, a hobby shop find that all you folks turning wheels with a rotary tool are going to want. I stumbled across a Pinewood Derby supply and tool rack and found this. It can chuck up almost a half inch width! Much better than the Dremel cutoff wheel mandrel. I wish I’d had this a week ago!

Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Nice work, Rick! Definately much better than store bought! Fortunately, most of my tanks don't have regular tires! Thanks for the update!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Thanks Chris, I'm finding tires to be one of my least favorite aspects of planes. I'm just glad I don't to build five dozen wheels and five thousand treads like you armor guys have to do! I think I'd be one step closer to the asylum if I had to face that!

Old 08-15-2007, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Good wheels - nice trick with the template! And I envy you your mandrel find.

Leif
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice - and good tip on the tool. I was eyeing the P61 (Gremir's, but I have the printed version) and looking at the width of the tires - and knew I was going to need something different. That'll do the trick - now to remember which hobby store I saw the pinewood derby stuff in locally...
Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Rick, this project has turned into quite the beast. I love the detail and particularly the care with the wheel treads. Curse you all, however, for showing it to me since it pretty much guarantees that I'll have to try it myself. First that spoked wheel thing and now this.

Carl
Google Adsense