PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
please make this kit available!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Am I wrong in thinking the Marines used a few of these in WWII????

My Drawings
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
There are some nice pics of a 1/72 resin DC-5 build here: The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum • View topic - Planet Models 1/72 Douglas R3D (DC-5) *FINISHED*
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Am I wrong in thinking the Marines used a few of these in WWII????
You are correct, John.

Wyvern
Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I have been looking for a possibility to make fuselage segments with a cone wrap-out programme. I have the one by Siatki, but that programme does not take into account, that the segments can have non-coaxial front and end sections. You need such a function for the DC-5, because the aft fuselage is horizontal at the top, and slopes upward at the bottom see pic 1.
I found a programme, however, that has the capability to put an angle to the front and end sections, and after jugling with some high school mathematicals, I ended up with a list of segments dimensions and the associated angle. The programme neatly made 2 dimensional flattened out shapes, see pic 2. I hope you can see the details, it is a little unsharp due to the thin lines.
I know, the real designers will work with real software programmes, to flatten out 3D shapes to 2D diagrams, but I do not have such sophisticated software.
Now, in the calculations I had to make approximations of angles, such as tg alfa = alfa for small angles etc, but I am not sure if that was allowable. It may lead to inaccuracies of the segment shapes. So the proof of the pudding is in eating it.
Next step is therefore to print the fuselage segments and see if they fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-5-3-1-fuselage-segments.jpg   Douglas DC-5-3-2-segments.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
I got that wrong. The free version of Siatki can't do it. Maybe the pay version can but the trial version of that is so heavily crippled that I can't tell, and it costs a bit. My next recommendation is Cone205 from Cone*Layout - Product. I think you'll find it works and you get a 21 day fully functional "try before you buy" demo. That might see you through this project and it's only 28.57 EUD to buy.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
I have been looking for a possibility to make fuselage segments with a cone wrap-out programme. I have the one by Siatki, but that programme does not take into account, that the segments can have non-coaxial front and end sections. You need such a function for the DC-5, because the aft fuselage is horizontal at the top, and slopes upward at the bottom see pic 1.
I found a programme, however, that has the capability to put an angle to the front and end sections, and after jugling with some high school mathematicals, I ended up with a list of segments dimensions and the associated angle. The programme neatly made 2 dimensional flattened out shapes, see pic 2. I hope you can see the details, it is a little unsharp due to the thin lines.
I know, the real designers will work with real software programmes, to flatten out 3D shapes to 2D diagrams, but I do not have such sophisticated software.
Now, in the calculations I had to make approximations of angles, such as tg alfa = alfa for small angles etc, but I am not sure if that was allowable. It may lead to inaccuracies of the segment shapes. So the proof of the pudding is in eating it.
Next step is therefore to print the fuselage segments and see if they fit.
Download Rhino 3d. It saves 30 times. It remains fully functional after that, but just doesn't ave. If you are good with your registry, you can extend that 30 day trial. Once you see if does what you wish, (which is does), you purchase it. Now, someone in particular will make a comment about extending trialss and what not, but I have not shown how to do that, and anybody worth their salt in computers knows how. That being said, since I offer no advice on how to do it, like saving a copy or your registry, then deleting it and reinstalling it after you delete Rhino,.............................almost got you hah! That won't work, the trial version leaves too much behind. Anyways, Rhino is the way to go, but to be honest, you don't need it with that model. Just continue what you are doing. If you get stuck on a particular spot, send me a P.M. and I'd be more than happy to help you. I will not however get involved in petty obsessions by certain members, but am more than happy to help. I have helped others here.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 AM

Thanks all for your informative comments. The programme Cone 205 is the one I now purchased, it works well, and it gives the print size very accurately in the millimeters , cm's or inches that you input, so your print is exactly in the scale of your model. I like it very much.
I'll have a look at Rhino, as you suggest, Zathros, and see if my IQ can cope. Getting into this design thing is actually fascinating, like exploring unknown territories, so I'll feel my way around.
If all fails, I can always make the model with the "plating technique" that I used with the model of the DC-6B, that I described on this forum a few years ago. That also gives a fairly realistic aircraft effect.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
Thanks all for your informative comments. The programme Cone 205 is the one I now purchased, it works well, and it gives the print size very accurately in the millimeters , cm's or inches that you input, so your print is exactly in the scale of your model. I like it very much.
I'll have a look at Rhino, as you suggest, Zathros, and see if my IQ can cope. Getting into this design thing is actually fascinating, like exploring unknown territories, so I'll feel my way around.
If all fails, I can always make the model with the "plating technique" that I used with the model of the DC-6B, that I described on this forum a few years ago. That also gives a fairly realistic aircraft effect.
I would just like that these programs are trying to emulate what you have been doing for a long time! You have been far more successful though.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 AM

The segments are printed in the correct size, see pic 1, and now I will check, if the shape of the fuselage is faithfully represented.
I'll be cutting and pasting for the next days or so.
So, now it's time to eat the pudding!
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-5-4-1-segments-printed.jpg  
Google Adsense