PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very nice model! I have saved your build to be used as a reference for when I get around to tackling the Hal zero. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
congrats on a beautiful build, this is my favorite kit so far
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Appreciate the work involved

I was quitely wondering whether we all shouldn't stop a while to properly appreciate the work involved in this model. Reading the blog (and yes, it's quite difficult, I agree) it becomes clear that the builder has indeed scanned and redrawn the whole model (down to the last rivet and panel line) to represent another aircraft than the original model, carefully gone over each line and rivet to make them stand out properly (not too much, not too little), rescaled it slightly, rearranged all parts on new print sheets (to align them properly with the fibre direction of the sheets), and treated the sheets with a carefully selected varnish.

In addition, he has made the printing process an iterated one, carefully comparing colours from the output with photos, to arrive at a correct gamma setting. Awesome, indeed (and beyond the perseverance of most of us - which doesn't mean we all couldn't learn at least something from this).

To appreciate the difference between original parts, and the treated ones, compare for the photos the author provides in his log. Take a wild guess which are the originals, and which the treated ones. (Can I make another wild guess at what will be the next Picture of the Week?)

This is an example to all of us of the worth of doing some extra work on the already high-quality models available.

It is also a reflection on the value of electronic models. Imagine how much easier it would be to undertake this kind of work, if the original was available also in electronic form! Quite frustrating to think about at times...

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-repaint3.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-repaint2.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-repaint1.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-15-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.6 KB
A couple of shots to better see the difference...
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-compare1.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-compare2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.6 KB
Not good. Better samples (shot over the original):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
the value of electronic models. Imagine how much easier it would be to undertake this kind of work, if the original was available also in electronic formLeif
Yes, that's the point. It'd be sufficient for me to purchase a set of black/white images of details with essential details (rivets, docking lines, hatches etc). It would be like a plastic model: you purchase raw material and make whatever you see appropriate from it.

Last edited by mgolovanov; 08-15-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Excellent job! I had been more focusing on the build portions and hadn't reviewed the recoloring information yet. I knew you had changed the markings, but didn't realize the extent you had redrawn the model. Excellent effort all around!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is a truly outstanding example of craftsmanship and artistic skill. Thank you, mgolovanov, for sharing your model and your experience with us. And thank you Leif, for your thoughtful essay, honoring the modeler and pointing out to us the magnitude of the achievement.

Don
Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks Leif for pointing the essential facts out - I was duly impressed already, and now I can hardly imagine the effort that went into this to achieve these results.

I second your Picture of the Week comment.

mgolovanov, take good care of this model, it is something to be proud of!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM

More photos

Parallell to reading the computer translation of the building log, you might find it convenient to open the log in original Russian, since then the photos are easier to spot.

Let me just give you a few fantastic examples. First the spinner and propeller (more examples in the following posts).

mgolovanov, I would urge you to upload these photos as well to your album here at Papermodelers.com. They document a most valuable process.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-spinner.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-blades.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-propeller.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-d_engine.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-15-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Landing gear

A few more photos, this time of the landing gear. Excellent method of aligning!
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-chassis.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-chassis_setup.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-d_chassis.jpg  
Google Adsense