PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Cabin section

And of course the traditional cockpit section.

Enough with the teasers; now go see the rest for yourself, at mgolovanov's original log!

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-cabin2.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-cabin3.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-devices.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-canopy.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Thanks Leif, who has illuminated a very important part of the work of a perfect model.
Sometimes, perhaps for confidentiality or excessive shyness, the modeller fails to clarify shares so terribly important processing.
Frankly.
I never imagined I would not have a job of re-digitizing of a model print format!
.... not everyone is able to understand.

Orazio
Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
this shows the potential of a nice model. Many museum models do not have this type of detail and accuracy. However, not everyone could do this work for many reasons, so not an expected result of a kit, just what is possible with card. The possiblilities are very high....
Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM

And all the other models...

Mikhail - is it alright to use that name? It rolls off the tounge just a tad easier than "mgolovanov".

In the hope of enticing you to get more deeply involved here and familiar with us, I took the liberty of digging out your homepage - and what a goldmine it turned out to be! Please, all who got awestruck by the Zero, check out this:

http://www.mgolovanov.houa.org/models/

Among the models displayed there (all of them with detailed building logs), I pick the following logs as teasers, and attach two photos for each:

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc, Answer (ModelArt)

North American P-51D MUSTANG 375 FS (ModelArt)

Curtiss P-40C, American Volunteer Group (Paper-AircraftWerks)

And here's a goodie for Michael Krohl (at Gremir models):

Curtiss P-40B (GremirModels) (one image attached of how Mikhail intends to recolour the Gremir original, in order to obtain an accurate colour scheme for one of the Pearl Harbor P-40s).

You might want to get in personal contact with Mikhail, Michael...

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-wings.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-ready01.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-ready21.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-ready16.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-wings1.jpg  

A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-ready54.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-my.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-15-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Mikhail - is it alright to use that name?
the models displayed there
Leif,

yes sure. Nice to meet you, and great thanks for the advertising

Maybe this line of models explains my latest inclination to make my own amendments (if not to say improvements) to the kits I obtain. Specifically, Halinski 3/2005 had been laying around for years before I decided to start, and by that time, I had a chance to review lots of info on this aircraft including j-aircraft.com, and to carefully read borrowed "Mitsubishi A6M Zero" by Mushroom Model Publications. This observation discovered significant improvements that might be made to the original kit, and I couldn't dissuade myself from reprinting when I new that the real plane had much finer riveting, red-green hue, stensils here and there etc etc.

Again, thanks for the attention and for the discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
The possiblilities are very high....
Completely agree. Materials much better than ordinary typographic prints are affordable nowadays, and printers (my models have been printed using cheepest HP D2360) are capable of fine printing of every single rivet on a surface with appropriate 3D effect. Why not to try?

Last edited by mgolovanov; 08-15-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Mikhail,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations for the excellent models you built.
P-40B - as I mentioned during my construction report, colors on the model I built are off, due, I know that now, to the paper I used.
Color scheme Lukasz used was based on color plate from Osprey's "P-40 Warhawk aces of the Pacific". It does not show the different coloring of the control surfaces so I'm interested where your color profile comes from - I read English translation of your page but Babelfish is not that great translator

Leif,
You are the master of references so maybe you will be able to shed some more lighton this issue?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm sure Mikhail will be back with authoritative information. Meanwhile here's the link to the Google translation he has provided on the Gremir P40 page (it is hidden under the ad banner, but will emerge if you wait patiently enough):

http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=ru&u=http://www.mgolovanov.houa.org/models/p40b.html&langpair=ru|en

The only book mentioned there is "The Curtiss P-36 and P-40 in USAAC / USAAF service 1939 to 1945" (Combat Colors, # 3, © Guideline Publications, 2001).

I can't follow Mikhail's rather close reasoning either, not as the computer translates it.

L.

P.S. Mikhail, while we're on the subject of computer translations, what is the "cabbage soup" quite often referred to in computer translations regarding Russian aircraft? It seems to be a characterization referring to the aircraft itself. Is is something like "contraption", or "make-shift", or "design", or what?

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-15-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
I'm sure Mikhail will be back with authoritative information.
The only book mentioned there is "The Curtiss P-36 and P-40 in USAAC / USAAF service 1939 to 1945" (Combat Colors, # 3, © Guideline Publications, 2001).
I can't follow Mikhail's rather close reasoning either, not as the computer translates it.
Gentlemen,

I do not think you should pay attention to this raw and already obsoleted starting build description. I am in the process of observing materials on Pearl Harbor P-40Bs, and Olive Drab rudder now seems to be wrong (it was probably only a feature of P-40CUs based there and having had red/white rudder stripes overpainted in service with Olive Drab). P-40Bs were most likely delivered in Dark Olive Drab from the plant.

Quote:
what is the "cabbage soup" quite often referred to in computer translations regarding Russian aircraft?
I did not manage to find these words in the translations. In any case, this was not meant in the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
Mikhail,
colors on the model I built are off, due, I know that now, to the paper I used
I must note that sheets printed from your program on my printer (ordinary glossy photo paper, max. DPI, high quality glossy paper selected in the printer properties) bear almost correct and definitely acceptable colors (Dark Olive Drab / Neutral Gray). The model displayed in the cover looks somewhat discouraging.

What disappoints me, however, is riveting (see attached for comparison), wing guns setup of Tomahawk IIA (USAAF P-40Bs had significantly different one - see http://downloads.hyperscale.com/guid...ehawkshb_1.pdf), too simplistic / incorrect canopy. I intend to change this. In general, this seems to be the most adequate P-40B kit I know.
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-sample1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 AM

Clearing up the cabbage soup...

Thank you, Mikhail, for clarifications! I am sure Michael Krohl will be happy to know that the kit Gremir is providing is the best available version of the P40. That goes for more of his models than this one. And it will be a pleasure to see your modifications to make it even better. Hopefully both Michael and other builders will be able to apply your modifications to the existing model.

I am sorry for muddying the waters with cabbage soup, so to speak. There was no hint of that in your translated log, it was just something I've been wondering about. To get that particular (non-related) issue cleared up, here's the original page (it's about the WWII Russian transport SCHE-2):

http://mkmagazin.almanacwhf.ru/avia/sche_2.htm

And here's how Google (and other web-based services) translates it (I have high-lighted the places where the "cabbage soup" occurs):

TRUZHENNIK OF THE SKY

However, in first yr of World War II the need for having the military transport aircraft of a comparatively small load capacity, men to fifteen in our army arose. This aircraft had to take off and be sat down on the unprepared airfield and transport large-dimension loads.

The Soviet Army then did have available a good twin-engined dvadtsatichetyrekhmestnym metallic aircraft -2, which left on the air line not long before the beginning of war. Furthermore, lethal factor famous "celestial sloths" U -2 (those later renamed on their chief designer n. Polikarpov's surname v on -2), both machines played large role in the World War II. There was the third untiring toiler of war - aircraft of cabbage soups -2.

In autumn severe forty first year the group of designers under chief designer Aleksey yakovlevicha Shcherbakov's management undertook to accomplish difficult task - within the shortest periods to create new aircraft. This machine must be maximally simple by the construction and made in essence from tree. A. 4, Shcherbakov solved problem originally - he combined both the power plants of two on -2 and their carrying area in the monoplane version. In this case to the large cross section of fuselage he gave the smooth, easily streamlined form, he shut cockpit with lamp, it supplied the drag struts, chassis and wheel with the fairings: the air resistance of aircraft noticeably was reduced, as a result the flight speed and load capacity increased.

Two aircraft po-2 -2 could raise six people, and one cabbage soup -2 - 14 soldiers even two pilots. Powerful mechanization in the form of the slotted flaps, slanted downward to 36° with the landing was used on the wing of cabbage soups -2. This increased lift, decreased landing speed and made possible to reduce mean free path to 160 m. the maximum speed of cabbage soups -2 (180 km/h) although was small however exceeded maximum speed po-2 -2 (140 km/h),

The reason I asked was that I seem to remember having seen the same curious translation about other aircraft as well (but I can't remember which). Grateful for any clarification you might be able to provide.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-16-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
cabbage soup
I see what is the problem. The name of the aircraft designer was Scherbakov, and the aircraft type was called Sche-2 (shortened designer's name followed by the number of a project by this designer). The translator has taken Sche in Russian for Schi (national Russian dish) and translated it literally

WINGS PALETTE - Scherbakov Sche-2 - USSR/Russia
Google Adsense