PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Short Maia/Mercury Composite

This is the pair of seaplanes that was developed to get the mail across the Atlanta from East to West. The indefatiguable Gary Pilsworth designed the models (available at the download tab), and I just photo reduced them to about 1:180 scale. This fits my storage shelf comfortably. As is my wont, I copied them onto the white side of the Red River paper, and then built them inside out. Slow going, and am currently confronting how to make the elaborate frame that holds Mercury on top of Maia. Using wire seems very thick, so may experiment with stiffened thread.

Mercury First:
Attached Thumbnails
Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0170.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0270.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0271.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM

And then starting on Maia. The fit is good even at this small scale. I scribe the outlines of the windows and panels from behind, using a ball point pen. This gives at least the impression of surface detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0171.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0172.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0274.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0273.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0275.jpg  

Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0276.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0277.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Kinda predats the RB-36/Rf-84 FINCON idea, dosen't it? Ingenoius the British!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Here is the pair in action. The date is 1938. Seems like a one way trip for Mercury, unless there is a Maia at the other end as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Short Maia/Mercury Composite-mm_short_mayo_composite_scan.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
More than likely was, though I don't believe that was mentioned in the book I read a short piece on these years ago.
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work, Rob. Thanks for the step by step images.

The Short Mayo Composite - YouTube

Short Mayo Composite Aircraft - YouTube

Don
Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Fascinating pair of aviation efforts!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM

A few more steps. The Pilsworth design has a helpful set of templates to locate the position of the support frame on the top side of Maia. I used this to place a small slit at each corner, and then build the frame out of thin strips of basswood. (These are HO train gauge 2 x 4 lumber) to be painted silver later. Each vertical basswood strip has a small point that I glued down into the wing I left a point at the end of the basswood frame fore and aft, to hold Mercury in place. Will use the same material to attache the floats to Mercury. One other small trick. The supports for Maia's floats look like they can be made of paper. To get them into position, I cut them out partially, leaving a tab to hold them in place until the glue dries.

Whoops, gotta stop, more trick or treaters. Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0284.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0286.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0287.jpg   Short Maia/Mercury Composite-img_0285.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A very elegant solution, Rob.

We had quite a lot of trick or treaters, some with very elaborate costumes. One young woman was dressed to the nines in something fin de siècle. I asked, "Are you a Gipsy princess?" She drew herself up to her full four and a half feet and said with great dignity, "I am the Grand Duchesse of Gerolstein." "That would have been my next guess," I said, as I ladled candy into her reticule with a nod to Jacques Offenbach.

Don
Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I'm most impressed with this Maia-Mercury composite model.
It is extremely good looking.

It is of interest to note that both aircraft were intended to meet at destination, be reattached and refuel before the return flight.

Mercury was launched from Maia at approximately 75% distance travelled.
The reason for this is something almost forgotten these days: First Class Mail.

A Premium paid at the time of purchasing the postage stamp meant that First Class Mail arrived at its' intended destination and recipient faster than was achieved by ordinary mail, which arrived either by sea or by a much slower aircraft.

Hence, because Mercury was carrying the First Class Mail, was lighter and faster than Maia, Mercury would arrive several hours ahead of Maia. This was also the reason for the name Mercury being given the smaller aircraft, as Mercury (aka Hermes) was in classic literature "the Herald/Messenger of the Gods, who ran swifter than wings across the Earth".
Which justified the employment of the composite aircraft pair in the first place.

The modern age tends to forget that at the time, the above was an advanced concept, and considered to be "leading edge technology" of its' day.

To see these beautiful models being so well executed in both design and construction is a pleasure indeed to me.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Google Adsense