PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Lief's Simplified Laminated Propeller

I have watched Lief's design thread on laminated wood props with a great deal of interest but with little hope of ever actually building one of those absolutely gorgeous masterpieces. So when Lief came up with a simplified two-piece version I just had to have a go at it.

First I must thank Lief for his amazing design work and for making this model available. That being said there are way more that two pieces to this thing. The total number is approximately thirty by my count and the first eight of them are critical to the success of this build. So I decided to try the larger 1/16 scale first and that is what will be shown here.

So here we go:

This photo shows the two rings, one inner and one outer that make up the central hub. The inner ring provides additional strength and helps to keep the hub round while the outer ring has the marks used to align the hub end plates. I used very thin paper connecting strips inside each ring and punched some disks out of 2mm depron to fit in the center of the hub. These assured that the hub would be perfectly round and quite rigid. And what's six more parts really?

Here's the hub assembled with the end cap disks. At this point the alignment of those disks is not important but it's good practice for the next step.

Here's the completed hub from the back side. Four more parts have been added using the alignment marks from the central hub as locators. The "strange angle" is created by the use of those alignment marks. This is the crucial part of the build as the rest will pretty much fall into place from here on.

This photo shows the hub again from the front side and shows the glue tabs which will be used to mount the prop blades. Hopefully you can see from this photo that this end has the longest side. I used 65# stock for this build and wish I had used something stiffer for the parts with the tabs. That would have made attaching the prop blades a little less fiddly. Perhaps a bit of C/A glue would also have worked.

And here is where the magic happens. Place the hub on your cutting board with the front facing up. That will be the longest side. Make sure that the pointy ends go up and down as shown. Now take either one of the propeller blade parts and orient it so that the front of the blade is pointing up. Then simply attach the blade to the right side of the central hub using the glue tabs. Note that the unattached prop blade shown on the left is pointed in the opposite direction with the front side down.

Now all that's needed is to attach the other blade to the left side of the central hub's glue tabs and to the back side of the other blade. I've oriented the prop in this photo to hopefully show how beautifully Lief's design works to capture the shape and alignment of a hand carved blade with a pretty easy to build design. There is of course nothing simple about the brilliant design work required to create this model.

My build has been kind of fast and dirty. And it needs some edge coloring touch-up work. I'll probably layer over the whole thing with very thin laser printed paper to cover up my defects. Lastly I'll need to add the twenty or so pieces needed to give the build an appropriate level of detail for this scale.

But that will just have to wait till tomorrow at the very least. I probably won't get to it till very late in the day at that.

Till then,

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
WOW that looks really good. You made it look so easy.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Absolutely beautifully well done, Curt!

I am most pleased and happy that someone understood and could communicate the principle so well with those only scanty instructions that came with the kit. And your photos + text highlight the critical alignment process so well. Now all I have to do is replicate those for a better set of instructions!

Could I add one small point? The center hub is made up so that you can glue the inner part as a sort of prolonged glue tab on to the inner side of the outer part. Glue it about half in, half protruding, not critical actually. That way, when you close the parts, they will both join up exactly, the inner part forming a ledge for the circular lids which will mount flush with the rim of the outer part, while also ensuring - even forcing - circularity of the hub.

This all works because the inner part is ca 1.5 mm shorter than the outer - that is a universally applicable measure for a paper thickness of 0.25 mm. For regular 0.15mm thick paper the universal measure (irrelevant of diameter) should be ca 1-1.2mm shorter.

That way you don't have to use connecting strips for the connecting strip, if you see what I mean. But no harm done, of course!

Here are the full instructions for using this principle: "Making paper cylinders with a ledge & full inner layer"

What a good feeling to see someone enjoying something you've suggested. Thank you, Curt!

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 11-28-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Inky, actually Leif's design made the construction easy and made my build look as good as it does. BTW, love your avatar! I lived in NM for 22 years and have visited the museum at Alamagordo NM.

Leif, thanks for your kind comments and my apology for miss-spelling your name. My only excuse is my occasional dyslexia. And doh! on the cylinder construction. I think sometimes I forget techniques faster than I learn them. I'll probably continue to use foam disks inside cylinders though just because they are so easy to make and use.

I'm happy that you enjoyed the build thread thus far and that it may in some small way contribute to the final product.

Curt
Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Where can we get this great prop?...Rich
Old 11-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
its in the downloads section. good job Curt.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM

I am not finding it (I do need new glasses)....Rich
Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
sorry I did not read it correctly I was thinking of the other ones.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM

JR and Rich, This version of the laminated prop design is not in our downloads section. Leif is still working on the final design and instructions. This was a beta build acquired directly from Leif. See his thread Laminated prop in paper for more info.

Curt
Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks Curt....can't wait to get this one, i'm building a Cleret 7Z rotory WW1 engine that will be on a stand and need a good prop to put on it....Rich