PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation More building, less history

The build continues with the attachment of the tail surfaces, ailerons, wing fillets, wing fences and preparing the canopy by trimming it and dipping in Future floor wax ( great stuff for clear canopies ).

Again, this paper material is so sensitive, it is like butter. You touch it and it leaves a mark . Really, I think others may be better at this material then me.
One issue I had with the vertical tail, is that I did not add more paper lamination on the spar and it showed thru as the paper conformed to it. Just more punishment. Anyhow, there is not much more to this plane, so I will continue.

Pictures here of:

Tail
Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5080.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5081.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5082.jpg

Fences
Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5099.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5101.jpg

Ailerons ( all control surfaces were beefed up with a wood center section cut from a coffee stir )
Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5085.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5086.jpg

Canopy
Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5089.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5090.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5094.jpgLavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5096.jpg

make sure to cover the wet canopy so dust does not settle onto it. Keep covered for at least 12 hours.

That is all for today

Isaac
Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Sorry, Isaac, didn't mean to take over your thread. But unusual aircraft are so fascinating that it's hard to keep the excitement in check. Please continue your skillful work on the La-15 and other models; please continue your thread.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Yale

actually it is good to have some related topic discssions.

Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Sorry, Isaac, didn't mean to take over your thread. But unusual aircraft are so fascinating that it's hard to keep the excitement in check. Please continue your skillful work on the La-15 and other models; please continue your thread.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Almost finished

There are a few more parts to go. Canopy is being fitted to the cockpit, Landing gear and wheels are made and doors and masts are done.

Some pictures here

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5102.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5105.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5106.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5108.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5112.jpg  

Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5114.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5115.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5116.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM

I am almost done here.

I have another all silver model of the Mig-19 by GPM in 1/33 scale and am concerned that the material will too be too soft. I have built other kits in silver ( the GPM IL-28 and the Modelik Yak-23 ) and those came out better.

Anyhow, more pictures of the LA-15 soon.

I was thinking of building a 2 seater version of the UTI LA-15 plane? That will require some work though and may be a future project. It will not be in silver foil finish.

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 AM

Exclamation Final-It is done!

The aircraft is put together.

In summary:

It is an old kit
parts not always fitting.
Silver printed parts are very soft and easy to score and show every kink and bend.
It requires better internal under layment parts to smooth out the external skins ( which I did, but not enough of ).

On the other side:
it is very simple
few parts
it is unusual
it is good looking

Here are the pictures.

On to the next project

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5119.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5120.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5121.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5123.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5126.jpg  

Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5129.jpg   Lavochkin LA-15 Fantail - Hobby Model Nr. 54 in 1/33 scale-dscf5133.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Thank you, Isaac -- it's beautiful! Your model makes it easy to see an important difference from the MiG -- the fuselage-mounted main gear.

You mentioned getting the vacuform canopy, so please forgive some silly questions: What was the source of this canopy? How extensive is the range of such canopies, given the wide range of models? What's the purpose of soaking the canopy in floor wax -- is a tutorial available?

Thanks again, and best wishes for the next model.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Amazing model of an amazing bird, Issac! thanks for sharing!

With this one I also remembered the Pulki II from Argentina that was based on Tank´s designs, and that our own Alcides designed a few years ago as paper model. You can see that Pulki II Beta build in my blog from 2007.

Yale, I think soaking the canopy in floor wax has the same results as putting it into Future, it cleanses and clears the plastic, so it can assume a crystal look.

Again, Issac, congratulations on this Fine Build! And fast I may add.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Thank you, Isaac -- it's beautiful! Your model makes it easy to see an important difference from the MiG -- the fuselage-mounted main gear.

You mentioned getting the vacuform canopy, so please forgive some silly questions: What was the source of this canopy? How extensive is the range of such canopies, given the wide range of models? What's the purpose of soaking the canopy in floor wax -- is a tutorial available?

Thanks again, and best wishes for the next model.
Yale

I will take pictures of the LA-15 next to the Mig-17 model of the same scale so you can see the main difference.

I use Future floor wax to dip the canopies to primarily make them shiny and bright. I use that for my plastic models primarily to allow me to attach them with CA super glue without fogging the transparency. It work great.

It is simple process
Trim your canopy to size
Make sure there is no dirt or glue on-the canopy
Pour small amount of the liquid floor wax just enough to cover the canopy, to a small plastic dish ( do not squeeze the bottle via the nozzles as it causes air bubbles to be trapped in the liquid )
Use tweezers to hold the canopy and dip into the liquid
Slowly move the canopy around making sure all is covered
Keep in the liquid for 2 minutes or so
When ready to remove, let the excess drip from a corner
Make sure any bubbles drip out, otherwise re dip
Place canopy on flat surface on 2 tooth picks
Cover it all with another bowl to prevent dust sticking
Let it dry for about 12 hours
Once dry you can attach the frames
Make sure that the inside of the frames are colored as well

Do not re use the liquid , throw it away or do your floor

Hope this helps

Isaac
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM

The source of the vacufored canopies are from GPM ( Gomix )in Poland . Those are available on line . In my case I had a friend purchase them in Poland and bring them to me ( along with more kits ).

They have a very large selection

Isaac
Google Adsense