PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I think that clear coat will make it shiny?
true,.. but you can put a flat coat after,..
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Working the wing now. Multiple issues came up with the frames, but I am working it.
Pictures soon

Isaac
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 PM

Wing construction

Status

Fuselage is done. Pictures here.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5616.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5617.jpg

Next is the wing.
There are two options here. The easy one has no separate control surfaces, and the other option is to have separate ones. I decided to see what both look like.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5612.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5618.jpg

Wing structure:
This assembly basically resembles the real airplane. It consists of multiple ribs and spars. And braces. They also form the wheel wells. This is a very tedious part of the assembly. When I got it done, it did not fit well to the fuselage and did not align well with the wheel well cutout on the wing bottom. The issue was me ( I got sloppy ). The card stock I used was too thin and deformed and bent. I have not decided what to do with it. For now I am still evaluating it all.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5611.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5619.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5620.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5622.jpg

For the complex wing, I decided to attach the trailing edge where the back surfaces are attached. Then also on the forward leading edge, glue the strip to form a continuous surface ( the red area ). Once that is done, I tried to dry fit to the frame and that is where my mismatch occurred. I will see if the frame can be reworked or build a whole new set of frames, I may try to assemble it on some sort of a jig to keep it exact. Obviously this wing can be constructed, so it is me.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5613.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5615.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5621.jpg

Some pictures here

Isaac
Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 AM

Wing

Wing assembly

I decided to use the frame already I built for this one. Lots of lessons learned for the next build of this plane. The frames must be straight or they will deform. For that you need to pin it to a jig and make sure all is aligned.

I glued the left and right bottom wing skins to each other. I think this is needed or you will not be able to join them later. Then glue the lower right ( or left ) wing skin only to the frames. You need to dry fit it a few times and trim as needed. At this point I added some plywood structure to accept the main landing gear . Once glued and dried, I drilled a hole to accept the strut by using the located on the lower skin. At this point you can glue the top of the same wing to the frame and align with the trailing edge and the tips. Once done, do the same to the other wing. I used a paintbrush to apply the glue to the frames and wing skins.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5623.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5626.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5627.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5628.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5630.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5631.jpg

The wing root extensions are glued in place to the forward part of the wing. I then applied glue to the root rib and glued it in place on the inside.

Once the wing main section is complete, you can slide it to the fuselage and dry fit again. I did that numerous times. I had to trim the ribs tops on the inside to make the wing fit properly or it would have had a large gaps and steps. A note here: If you are very precise, then all the parts should fit properly. However, since I am an average builder ( yes with many years experience ), I did not achieve the required precision this time around for this kit ( hence I think you have to build it twice to get it really right on ( at least for me ).
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5632.jpg

Ailerons, flaps and spoilers

These are one piece assembly that are folded tight along the trailing edges and have small side ribs for shape that is rounded in front.
I decided to have a slight tilt on the ailerons. The wing spoilers were glued flat ( I think the plane looked kind of stupid with them deployed up ( also, I elected to omit the fuselage speed brakes as well for this build. Later, I will glue the flaps in the full down position as they go well with the aircraft on its wheels.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5633.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5634.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5635.jpg

Leading edge slats

These are interesting parts that have a concave inner section. In reality I did not want to build it as such, but most pictures of the real Skyhawk shows them down ( since they are gravity deployed ). These will be attached later.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5636.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5637.jpg

Wing to fuselage attached.

After many dry fittings and trimming, I glued the two assemblies together. The fit was good and later there will be a strip fillet to transition and cover the small gap.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5638.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5639.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5640.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5641.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5642.jpg

That is all for now.

Isaac
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Looks nice! keep it up.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
looking great!,.. I also like the 2 seater
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Wow... very nice indeed! And you solve really well the problem with the wheel well. The additional plywood is a good one. Sometimes I use similar material for the strut to keep the landing attached.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 PM

Unless you add internal support in the wing for the landing gear strut , it will not hold the model up.

Also I am looking at the wing leading edge slats attachments

Isaac
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Thumbs up More wing progress

Wing filet:
Wing upper fillets installed and are amazingly perfect fit.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5645.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5646.jpg

Under the wing

The main landing housing is under the wheel and is a relatively simple part. The Right side also has the add-on lights. For the lense, I decided to use a product called Kristal Clear. It looks like white glue, but when dry, it turns clear. I use this for the lenses of flat windows on plastic models, but it works well with paper as long as the opening is flat and relatively small ( it will not do leading edge shaped landing lights lenses ).
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5650.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5651.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5653.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5655.jpg

Guns:
This version of the A-4 had the larger 30mm guns that were installed a bit lower in the wing root and have their own fairing. I substituted a wood dowel for the kit’s the rolled paper barrel and then painted it black. I am not 100% happy with the parts as it did not have a good fit ( I think it was me ).

Flaps:
Flaps have the gear housing fairing extension and were then dry fit to the wing.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5656.jpg

Landing gear.
I often use a small diameter wood dowel for the strut core. Once you wrap the rolled paper around it, I then drill out the end with a small diameter hand drill to accept a paperclip piece, which I will bend to make the wheel axle.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5658.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5659.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5660.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5661.jpg

For now, all are just dry fit with no glue.

That is all for now.

Cheers

Isaac
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.88 MB
Hay isac...

i think you made a common misstake with the chaff and flares housings,they should be installed inside the fuselage and not on the outside ,hope you wikk be able to fix that....
here is a link to the beta build.Israeli A4N beta build from papermodels.co.il - Page 4 - Zealot Hobby Forum