PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Smile Israeli Air Force A-4N, Model Art kit in 1/32

Kit purchased on line from Moshe Lemer ( www.Papermodels.co.il )

A bit of background:
I attended the Hasegawa convention in Tokyo in November and while there, I purchased an old 1/32 scale A-4E Skyhawk plastic kit.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5528.jpg

I previously built the TA-4J plastic kit in 1/32 and painted it in Israeli Air Force colors and wanted the single seater as well. For now, I am not set up to build in plastic, but have been on the paper models kick for a few years now. That was my inspiration to purchase the paper version. I have visited Moshe Lemer’s site in the past and was impressed by the quality of the Emil Zarkov designed kits. I must say I was also intimidated by their complexity and part count. But I decided it was time and ordered the file for this kit.

Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5502.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5506.jpg

My preference is always pre printed kits because you do not have to deal with the printer quality, or printed scale. But so far, it has been a good choice.

At first, I printed the entire kit and instruction on plain paper so I can study it. That I did for a few weeks. I then printed it on high quality card stock per the recommended weight of 160 g/m2 and the light pieces on 80g/m2 paper. I had to re print some of the pages because I forgot to over ride the color adjusting option ( you do not want any adjustments ). I noted some parts were printed in a pinkish sort of a color and that alerted me as I remembered the instruction.

The kit is really very detailed and has many options to build. For example, you can select an easy wing, or a complicated wing with slats, flaps and spoilers. You are provided with separate parts for the options. The suggestion is to cut only the pieces you are going to be working on. There are too many parts and after a while it is easy to lose count or your place.

The parts are illustrated step by step ( as the kit was designed using a CAD software, the added bonus is you get any views you want ). For most of the steps the figures are self explanatory, however, it is possible to get confused ( I did with some part exact position or usage ). There are also extra parts with the same part numbers depending on the version you are building ( like the cockpit rear bulkhead 9I ).

Apparently there is a link for a previous building log on Zealot, but it is no longer available. So if you know of a building log for this kit, please point it out. I will continue my version here.

For now, here are some pictures

Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5504.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5505.jpg

Happy New Year to all

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2011, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
This should be good to see develop. I love watching your builds come together. I have a couple of the ModelArt models myself, and you're right Isaac, the part count can rise up pretty high, but the quality is right on.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Issac, I built this as a beta when 1st released. follow the instructions and it should practically build itself. the fit is perfect. Moshe and Dr Zarkov visit this site so thry may be availble for comment and help also. Good luck, this is one fine kit!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Isaac: A person at the Spanish forum built this same kit this year. You can see the thread here:
Maquetas y modelismo en papel - IAF McDonnell Douglas A-4N Skyhawk esc 1:32 (TERMINADO) - Modelos de aviones militares fabricados a partir de 1945.
There are some nice detail photos of the process. Hope it is useful.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Ruben

Thanks for the link. Felipe really did a super job on this model. His level of detail is fantastic ( especially on the external ordenance, he went completely all out on the Snake eye bombs ). By folowing his build I found some explanations as to what is coming next. I will also decide the level of details I want to build ( there is alot with this kit ). I think I may complete this kit more like a first attempt and then may in the future build it again. I was also thinking of backdating it to an A-4E without the avionic hump or the extended tailpipe. Anyhow, I see I will have lots of options here.

One thing I noted is that the plastic 1/32 scale Hasegawa canopy will not fit the paper kit ( I was hoping I can use it as a positive for the vacuformed canopy ).

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2012, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
hello isaac
here is another link (in german) of building this model
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Bauberichte | Douglas A-4 N Skyhawk, ModelArt, 1:32
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
i'm looking forward to watch the build progress
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y66 View Post
hello isaac
here is another link (in german) of building this model
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Bauberichte | Douglas A-4 N Skyhawk, ModelArt, 1:32
Thank you, this is a good build log as well. However, it stops in 2008 with the wing frames. I wonder if he finished the plane or just stopped?

Isaac
Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 AM

Cockpit and forward section

Cockpit tub is straight forward 1 piece assembly . Add the rudder pedals and the control column. The control stick has two main sections. However, the upper portion is flat and also is angled wrong ( the lower portion for the elevator actuation and the upper one is the aileron stick, but should be in line with the lower base ). For this build, I am not changing anything visible.

The ejection seat is more complex and requires detailed folding to the head rest ( the illustration shows it as part 1d, but it is really part 1f ( 1d is on top ). Seat belts and small yellow handles and ejection pull are added as well. The instrument panel is doubled on card stock and glued to the tub. A point of confusion ( for me ) is that there are 2 rear cockpit bulkheads parts 9i. One is apparently used for open canopy option. I am not sure why there would be a difference, but decided to use both. One is in the extreme rear of fuselage part 9 and one angled just behind the tub rear; however I did cut it down and later will get rid of the top portion.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5507.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5510.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5511.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5513.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5514.jpg

For now, I did not add the gun sight ( since it will be damaged ). That will wait till the windscreen goes on. I will build it with an open cockpit ( this is not my first choice ).

I was not sure if this plane needs any weight in the nose to make sure it is not a tail seater, so I added some in front of the instrument panel ( on top of the nose gear well ).
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5523.jpg

The nose gear well part 8 is a simple open box. I did double the top of it with card stock. Once it was glued in place , I then glued the cockpit tub matching the sides and the axial location to the exterior. I then glued the angled rear bulkhead piece ( trimmed ) and then added more card stock where the nose gear strut attaches. I also created a small pocket in the back to accept the strut.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5516.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5517.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5518.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5520.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5521.jpg

Small NACA scoops were added on either side ( 9g and 9h ). 9h should have been painted brown rather than the green since it is against a brown side. The is a small detail and really is not a big deal. I am just noting it here.

Forward sections are conventional.

That is all today

Happy new year again

Isaac
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Rear fuselage

Start with the internal air intakes and frames in part 35. This is the first kit I have built that had the intakes all the way to the engine face. Once assembled, I had to trim the intakes flush with the forward bulkhead 35b.
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5531.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5533.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5537.jpg

Continue back in the regular way by adding each section to the exhaust tail pipe. I elected not to build the speed brakes, so part 37 was left as is. In a future build, I will install this option.

Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5535.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5536.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5538.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5539.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5540.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5541.jpg

Once all the rear fuselage is complete, you glue to the forward section ( minus the engine intakes which will come later).
Israeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5543.jpgIsraeli Air Force A-4N,  Model Art kit in 1/32-dscf5544.jpg

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense