PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Chris,

Contact cement is great for some applications. If you planing to use it for skinning, don't apply it to both bonded surfaces (a usual way of applying this stuff). If you do so, you won't be able to reposition parts - parts will bond on the first contact .
I would suggest applying it only to one surface, which will give you necessary window for repositioning. When you OK with the fit, just leave it overnight. The bond won't be so strong, but strong enough for our purposes. No worries about warping either! Maybe experimenting first with this adhesive is a good idea.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 AM

This is turning into a quasi-build thread. I finished the vertical stabilizer and rudder last night; it's interesting to compare the Halinski design philosophy to other kits -- the rudder alone has nine elements, which I think it's safe to say is right up there in terms of number of parts. The whole thing went together quite well, though, and looks great, thanks to the weathering.

I'm also growing fonder of the I-16 itself. It's been a kind of evolution in feelings, from an initial, "Geez, that's one ugly airplane!" to, "Hmm, that's an historically interesting airplane," to something like real affection. The process was spurred along by the discovery of a wealth of video footage of the I-16 at YouTube (start at the linked video and follow the links to others), both currently airworthy examples and historical black-and-white footage of multiple planes in flight. Watching the I-16 in flight really does make one thing of flies, in the sense of small, fast, and agile -- I can totally see where the mosca nickname came from. Building the actual model also reinforces the truth about how small the I-16 is compared to its contemporaries.

More later!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Chris,
Am I the only one who misses old fashioned build threads with photos?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Me too, bud, me too.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 PM

Leif's comments about exhaust ports in post #5 set alarm bells jangling--

I did a lot of homework on the I-16 some years ago, and yah, it's a fascinating plane. (Hint: if you don't want this thread eating up bandwidth by the gig, Do NOT ask me to tell stories!) The thing is, there were a couple dozen variants of this aircraft, and at least three engines with differing exhaust leads (and different porting for the different variants with the same engine--they didn't make it easy for us!), so you sorta need a program to tell the players...

Here's a really good VARIANTS recognition chart, including a breakdown of exhaust ports for the different engines. Also, follow the links back and around (or Google "Modeling the VVS") for a whole lot more, done by some other guys who've also done their homework.

Not knowing just which variant the Halinski kit is modeling, and having no photos to judge from, I figured this is the best way to make sure.

(By the way: anybody wanna build a flying model, get in touch; I'll send you a good plan.)

'Duster
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
That's really something, Duster - did not know about how many variants there were. Always wondered about the various kinds of spinners, too. Thanks! - L.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM

The Halinski kit cover says the model represents a Type 18.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM

Well, I still don't have a camera, but I did want to announce that the I-16 is finished! I can now claim with pride to be one of the few, the proud, the Halinski builders (apologies to the USMC)! I will post pics if (and when) I rejoin the digital photography age at some point.

A few thoughts on the model:

1) Even Halinski designs have quirks. Apart from the ventral gaps reported earlier, I had a strange time with the cowl rings -- the outer rings all had a small gap, even though all the inner rings fit perfectly. Go figure. The parts for the landing gear were all labeled incorrectly as to which side they were, left or right.

2) The laser cut former set doesn't include all the thick parts -- there's still plenty of laminating to do.

3) There's a part #51 in the kit. The build sequence ends with part #38. This shall remain a mystery.

4) 0.8 mm styrene rod is indispensable for this kit.

5) The finished model looks sweet! Wish I could show it to you. :(

To all you builders who are tempted to try a Halinski, do it! Building the I-16 has been a very gratifying experience.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Chris, you're such a tease! I'm itching to see the finished product!

EDIT: Chris, check your PM's.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.71 MB
Hi Chris, sorry for digging up this old thread, but as I am going to start building the I-16 myself, I was wondering if you would have pictures of the finished model? Good links in this thread, I'm trying to dig out the tips & tricks for this kit before starting.
Google Adsense