PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice clean building, looks like a great kit. I have to agree with you, it's hard to make another kit brand after a few hal kits. Mike you would love them all I think. That some test you a bit is a good thing in my view..and the graphics and overall accuracy is often astounding
Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Excellent news guys, I wish you the best in your build Mike, and Don, let's hope that day isn't too far away

Thanks Glen, and while building this Ki-84, I seem to find myself with Halinski kits in the cart rather than anything else!

Thank you so much Mike for providing the reference to Aero Detail! I checked it out on e-bay, and it seems to be selling for a good $30-40. The preview images are astounding, and I will definitely be ordering my copy of one soon! Thank you again, this is just great!

Another question guys - the instructions seem to be faint on this section, and the symbol is obvious, but going about doing it is another thing entirely.

In the picture I attached, I ask you direct your attention to the scissor symbol denoted by a 2mm mark. What exactly am I supposed to be cutting according to this symbol?
Attached Thumbnails
Ki-84 Hayate Halinski 1:33-dsc06977.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 PM

Yes, tricky, looks like a slot needed there for the cockpit shape you can see another similar line in the center of the right line also that needs to be cut, maybe even a small peice removed there...the spitife has similar interior cockpit cuts
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Looks to me that you should cut on this line for a distance of 2mm. Probably take you to the printed area.
Jim

Last edited by WVA; 02-18-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: poor spelling or to quick on the typing..or both
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
First of all, I'd like to compliment you on the build so far... it's coming along nicely and I definitely will be following closely
Although I've been dabbling in paper modelling for years, I am still too much a beginner to even dream to trying such complicated stuff... I can't even cut rounded corners or circles properly!! lol
I have only built very simple models and even then, only those with clear definite corners and lines.

I agree with birder and WVA, I reckon the cut is on the line to the printed area. But, I'm no in any position to be giving advice!!

Last edited by scyeige; 02-18-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: smilies did not come out right
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
Excellent news guys, I wish you the best in your build Mike, and Don, let's hope that day isn't too far away

Thanks Glen, and while building this Ki-84, I seem to find myself with Halinski kits in the cart rather than anything else!

Thank you so much Mike for providing the reference to Aero Detail! I checked it out on e-bay, and it seems to be selling for a good $30-40. The preview images are astounding, and I will definitely be ordering my copy of one soon! Thank you again, this is just great!

Another question guys - the instructions seem to be faint on this section, and the symbol is obvious, but going about doing it is another thing entirely.

In the picture I attached, I ask you direct your attention to the scissor symbol denoted by a 2mm mark. What exactly am I supposed to be cutting according to this symbol?
Cut a separation just 2 mm in between the joining strip and the part (ie. separate the white from the white, but leave the white and green connected). I imagine that the square floor is slightly smaller than the rounded former on each end, so the cut is to allow this part to shape correctly to both of those things.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 190.24 MB
Aero Detail 24

Aero Detail 24 Nakajima Ki-84
c 1999 - ISBN: 4-499-22684-8

page 20
Photos 43-46: Close-up views of the Hayate's windscreen. The small air intake visible on the leading edge of the windscreen in photo 43 could be opened to three different sizes. Note that the rear edge of the windscreen frame appears larger at the top due to the wide-angle lens used to take the shot. The frame is consistent in width, as shown in photo 45. Normally, a piece of 70mm bulletproof glass would be attached to the front of the windscreen, but it has been removed from this example. The compass visible mounted inside the windscreen in photo 46 is not original equipment.

page 21
Photo 47: A view of the entire canopy from the left side. The canopy was a very orthodox construction, with fixed front and rear sections, and a sliding middle portion.

Photo 48: The canopy seen fully opened. This could be jettisoned from the aircraft in an emergency.

Photo 49: A view of the roll bar in the rear of the cockpit, complete with a cushion for the pilot's head. The round holes in the bar are for installation of the landing gear warning buzzers, which are missing from this plane.

Photo 50-51: The canopy seen from the left rear. Note that the handhold below the cockpit has lost its spring-loaded cover, and that non-original support of some kind has been installed immediately to the rear of the canopy slide rail.

Photo 52: Views of the canopy from the rear. The photo shows well how the upper frame on the moveable portion of the canopy varies in width near the center. It's uncertain whether this was due to some manufacturing factor, or whether this occurred when the plane was restored.

page 22
Photo 53: The cockpit of the Hayate. The main instrument panel of the plane was arranged with navigational instruments in the top row of the panel, and engine and fuel related indicators in the middle and bottom rows. Unfortunately, this aircraft has had many of its instruments converted to American models. The bottommost row, however, is generally intact. The electrical box visible to the lower right of the panel, as well as the foot bar, are not original equipment.

Photos 54-55: The left side of the cockpit. The crank handle visible below the windscreen is to operate the sliding canopy. Photo 55 offers a close-up of the throttle quadrant as well as the trim control and other flight controls.

page 23
Photo 56: A view down into the cockpit from directly overhead.

Photo 57: The right side of the restored cockpit. The levers diagonally above and to the rear of the non-original electrical box (lower right of the instrument panel) are to control the oil cooler and cowl flaps (the yellow lever).

Photo 58: A look down at the controls on the left side of the cockpit. Inboard of the red trim control wheel is a lever with the markings "15 hei 30" (the middle character is read "hei" and means closed). This is the control for the aircraft's "butterfly" combat flaps.

Photos 59-60: Close-ups of the pilot's seat and roll bar/headrest assembly. The headrest is not original.

Photos are shared here:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...381&parid=root

A sample of one of the photos is attached to this post.

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Ki-84 Hayate Halinski 1:33-55.jpg  

Last edited by ssmeier; 02-23-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM

The Orange how is this one coming? I can see why the time involved in this as I see the precision cutting you are doing. I'm not that precise, but it will pay off especially with the skins and parts that require tremendous precision. the parts that will be hidden by skins (wing formers) can be cut a on or even inside edge of the line to give more room to fit things in...(I have this model too and would like to build it) Most Hal kits don't require this type of wiggle room, but form me it is helpful...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Steve, though I appreciate the help, I believe those are scans of pictures from the actual copy. Again, I appreciate the help, but I'm in the process of saving up for a physical copy.

Glen, I've actually suspended this build and put it on the immediate "to do later" pile. For one, I felt I didn't do the build enough justice, and I feel compelled to purchase another copy, which I will probably in the next 2 weeks.

However, the most prevalent reason for me suspending this build is because I've been building the Halinski Spitfire Vb (I believe you've tackled this one before and are currently working on a variant based on the Vb?) sub rosa . I'm diverting all my focus on the Hal. Spitfire, and have set all my build hyperdrives to max setting - as this Spitfire NEEDS to be complete before March 24th.

I plan to bring the Spitfire to the SVSM 2012 Kick Off Classic and hopefully kindle some interest in papermodeling to the IPMS of the Silicon Valley. (Assuming they don't kick me out at the sight of a paper model )

Rest assured, I will return to the Ki-84 as soon as complete the Halinski Spitfire.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Based on the experience of other paper modelers at IPMS events, you will be welcomed with open arms, amazement, and a lot of questions.

Greg Perry (modelperry) was a very active member of the Hagerstown IPMS and participated in just about every IPMS event held in the Maryland-Pennsylvania borderlands. He was always welcomed and I always enjoyed attending when I could.

My favorite plastic-paper misperception story involves standing behind two fellows at an IPMS contest in Camp Hill who were arguing ernestly about whether Greg's Modelik Ford GPA amphibious jeep was a Fujimi or a Tamiya model.

I look forward to your trip report, to seeing the Hal Spit, and to your return to the Hayate.

Ganbatte!

Don

Don
Google Adsense