PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Ki-84 Hayate Halinski 1:33

I got this a while back at UK Paper Models, and have spent the last few months trying to work up the courage to start a Halinski kit.
Despite being drowned by school/sports, I managed to get the ball rolling.

I absolutely adore Halinski kits, especially with their acclaimed print/ fit/ detail quality. I was immediately sold! Only problem is, I don't think you can purchase good 'ole fashion elbow grease and building skill at an online shop

These pictures are three or so weeks old, and I really haven't done much since. I'm hoping to finish the seat over the weekend and some other little boxes/do-dads/knick naks in the cockpit.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

(Did I mention that formers are a bear to cut out?)
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Good start!
It looks like you forgot to cut out slots in former W1j/W1k - this might be difficult if you already glued those frames together....
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good beginning. Everything looks straight and true. A good foundation for the cockpit detail and the rest of the build.

Since the slots are marked on the back side of the former, I think you should be able to lay the former over the edge of your workbench and a block of wood and cut out the slots.

Don
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks Mike and Don for following along. Rest assured, those pictures were all dry-fit and nothing had been glued.
I have since cut out those slots

I expected to get a bit more work on the cockpit this weekend, but things didn't turn out that way.

I used Tamiya acrylics for edge painting, though I'm still not sure if I'll continue using the cheapo acrylics I had before or switch to Tamiya.
I'm not too keen on mixing Tamiya paints, and that may prove to be a problem.

One of my most favorite parts of the office is the seat. Here's the parts that compose the Ki-84's seat.
I plan to punch out the little circles and work on the belts as well.

Bit of dry fitting. It looks to have the Halinski quality fit!

So far, I'm genuinely enjoying this Halinski kit, and I'm sure I will up to the finish. The fit and print quality is just outstanding, and honestly,
I can't see myself purchasing from any other physical publisher - save for the occasionally rare 'Halinski' quality models.

Does anyone know what the next published Halinski model will be? I think I read it was the Mig-29, but then again, it may have been my tired eyes seeing that.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 AM

Looks good.
What scares me about Halinski kits is the often mentioned fact that they seem to forgett that glue has thickness too...
Well, sooner or later I will have to tackle one to put it to the test
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 AM

This is excellent work. I have never yet attempted a Halinski, so I am watching closely.

Kevin Stephens swears by Tamiya acrylics and gets excellent results.

Don
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
You really build very well - as well as photograph. Pleasure to watch. - L
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM

Mike, I too share the same apprehension in regards to glues.
Thankfully, I carry an Aleene's Turbo Tacky glue, which seems
to have a very thin/watery quality to it. If my memory serves me correctly,
I believe you built a Halinski kit before? The...Ki-43? (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Nonetheless, though I understand you're in the midst of building a very excellent model (lovely Mustang and the P-40 (?))
I highly suggest building another Halinski, as they feel so exhilarating!

Thanks Don! I extend my suggestion to you as well -
I believe there are (3?) Halinski Aircraft kits in the Papermodelers Hangar
as of late, and I'm sure everyone would enjoy another one, especially from a person such as yourself. Perhaps another Halinski Callout is in order?

As per the Tamiya acrylics, I've decided to keep with them, though it will surely take some time getting used to foreign material.

Thanks Leif, you're too kind! I find this experience in building the Ki-84
will pay dividends when I move onto 'larger' projects in the summer .

No pictures updates so far, though I do have a question for you all.

Does anyone know of a publication or source for Ki-84 images,
specifically for the cockpit? I've searched google, but I'm coming up with seldom any specifics on the 'real' cockpit.
The majority of the search results are model builds, and I don't think basing off a model build for a model build is very wise -
especially if my intention is to model it after the 'actual' plane.*
Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 AM

Yes, I built Ki-43 Hayabusa and Ki-61 Hien, but those were the earlier generation models.
After I'm done with the Mustang (P-40 is done ) I'm planning Halinski Fw-190A-8. Might be a while before that happens as right now I'm swamped with work....

As for the references for the Hayate (or any other plane), there is nothing better than Aero Detail series RZM.com- Your online source for WWII books & more!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the tip on thin Aleene's. Since Irecently took delivery of an Anne Peak Fine Tip glue applicator, I am anxious to try Aleene's Turbo.

It will be a week or so since I am currently up to my ear is grading papers, preparing for the next courses, and getting ready for a public lecture that goes down next Wednesday. The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

Some day, I hope to try a Halinsky, but although this person talks a lot in the Forum, I am a model builder of very modest skills (Texman always says that I have a lot to be modest about) and am not yet ready to plunge into a Halinsky. But your thread will certainly provide a lot of good information about how they go together.

Good wishes for the rest of this challenging (but very rewarding) build.

Don
Google Adsense