PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear List folks:
I took a used Insulin Syringe a BD 1/2ml 8mm Long 31G guage and put some alinees glue into the barrel after pulling the plunger out put the plunger back in pushed the glue to the front note you have th push hard to get it through the needle but it does make a nice rivet. So ask freinds relatives find someone who uses insulin to have some of there used syringes for free.
Good luck,
MILES
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi, Miles, thanks for joining in. I am pleased you are enjoying this thread.

The syringes I use are cheap 1cc disposable with a 29ga needle. I do grind the point off the needle before I start.

I get them in packages from the pharmacy. I use Aleene's in it and yes, it takes some pushing to get the glue through but once it's started, it is not hard to use. I find it perfect not only for rivets, but to dispense a very controllable, measured amount of glue precisely. This is turning out to be invaluable for working with the tiny parts in my machine gun build. I have even found that I can pick up tiny parts and position them with the gluey end of the hypo needle! A combination of the hypo and fine tweezers allows for precise manipulation of tiny parts.

Happy modeling.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear BClemens:
The 31G guage needles also work! plus I mixed acrylic paint with the glue and it also works. I think I will take some pictures and start a thread in tips and tricks rather than hyjack your fine thread.
Thanks so much for letting the light bulb go on in my head,
MILES
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
You can get the Aleene's to flow more easily if you mix in small quanitities of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. This will not adversely affect its bonding ability. But, you will find that the rivet will not maintain its curvature if you add too much alcohol.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
You can get the Aleene's to flow more easily if you mix in small quanitities of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. This will not adversely affect its bonding ability. But, you will find that the rivet will not maintain its curvature if you add too much alcohol.
Done the same using "Windex", when the small bottle of Aleene's gets a little thicker then I like.. seems to have no adverse effects.
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Progress on the Spandaus

Been a hectic week with little time to model, but I did find some time tonight to make a little progress on the machine guns.

Here I've cut the barrels to length from florist's wire and installed the supports for the cooling shroud.

And then a coat of metallic black acrylic.

Happy modeling!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build

Hi Bruce,

I assume that you have lots to do besides modeling and laser-cutting, but I think I'm not the only one who wonders if there has been any new development on your fabulous scratch-built Fokker D.VIII model . . ?

Have you begun working on the cantilever wing?

All the best from your fan,
Bengt
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Wow! Bruce waht a great build. I'm a Micro RC builder flyer and I use paper models to make 2mm Depron foam WWI & II birds in 1:24 scale.

I love the motor build you did. A ton of work but it sure looks great and your hard work shows.

I hope you may consider selling a few laser cut motors in the future.

I recently finished a paper to Depron E-Cards Voss F-I Micro RC bird and would love to have a better detailed motor to build for it. I'm also working on a micro Clerget for one of my two 1:24 scale E-Card Nieuports.

Can't wait to see more work on this build.

Again excellent work.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build-micro-voss-fi-pilot-009.jpg   1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build-micro-voss-fi-pilot-016.jpg   1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build-micro-voss-fi-pilot-021.jpg   1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build-micro-voss-fi-pilot-022.jpg   1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build-micro-nieuport-25-051.jpg  

1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build-micro-nieuport-25-055.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Pete those are fantastic looking! would love to see them flying. I too fly indoor RC but not micro, have been thinking of getting more into the small side of things. What RC gear do you use?....Rich
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Oh, yeah! Let's see some video! How's about a tuturial on how to build those RCs? Make it complete with equipment and sources for everything. I'd love to build one, maybe more!