PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Do I understand correctly that you cut the tail skid...by hand? The mind recoils and my body shudders at the thought! How utterly mundane! LOL! You really make this a fun thread.

Where did you come up with the springs?
Charles, LOL some things are just quicker to do with a knife than with a computer I did plot it however, for further duplication.

I made the springs by winding a piece of fine NiCr wire I had laying around. It is pretty stiff. I wrapped it around a piece of piano wire for a mandrel. 22 turns. I then used tweezers and needle-nose pliers to fashion the loops on the end.

Thank you, Bengt. The skid came out well, I think. I wish I had a better way to take pics. Frankly as much as I love my iPad, the camera is pretty poor. Anyway although it is glued in, I think it belies functionality.

I'm sure, there will be more models in the future which use the same principle, based on what you show here.

Yes Thorsten, there will be more, time and other factors allowing The problem I have is that I have far more ideas and things I want to do than I most likely have years left with my faculties. When my time is up I look forward to coming back as a ghost to pick up where I left off...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM

In Preparation for the Cowel

The engine cowel will be the most challenging part of this project to date. Before I begin that process, I must first provide something for it to attach to. Here is the firewall.

I began by making some foil clad paper following Gil's excellent tutorial.

I used the laser to cut the paper on the back and a knife to follow the cut lines in order to cut the part from the foil (the laser will not cut through the foil). I then glued it to a corresponding piece of mat board.

Here I stood the entire model on end to allow me to position the part correctly on the motor mount. Prior to positioning it I used slow-cure CA glue at the corners of the motor mount.

I used fine steel wool on the aluminum to give the finished firewall has a nice satin sheen.

Happy modeling!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Are you planing to release this fantastic kit to the modeling world? say yes, say yes.....Rich
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Eaa?

Bruce,

Amazing how it's beginning to look like a full scale experimental aircrat under construction!...,

Best regards, +Gil
Old 02-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
I really admire your approach and what you accomplish with it!
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Are you planing to release this fantastic kit to the modeling world? say yes, say yes.....Rich
Rich, I've been thinking about this since the beginning. The thing is, if designing and building the prototype rates as a "10" on my enjoyment meter, producing and packaging a kit for marketing the model would rank around a "2".

What I think I can do, however, is this:
When the model is finished I can pull and sort all the patterns into various groups based on the material that needs to be cut, allowing me to efficiently make complete packages of all the cut material required to build the model.

These material packages would be sold to interested modelers like you and others who have expressed interest, with the following caveats:
  • It wouldn't be a complete "kit" as in nice packaging, illustrated instructions, all ancillary non-paper parts, etc.
  • It is not for beginners.
  • It would really be a springboard for someone to duplicate or improve on the model I am creating in this thread.
  • Builders could refer to this thread as well as correspond with me, but the expectation would be that anyone willing to get the package is willing and able to apply their own skills and techniques to accomplish a model of their own.
Another idea would be (with the permission of the Admin.) to have a moderated thread on this forum that people who have received the materials package would have access to. This would allow them to post progress pictures, ask and answer questions, and interact with others who are building the model. Just some brainstorming.

In any case, I think that would be the best approach for me personally. It would keep the cost of the "kit" to a minimum and allow me to continue to pursue my creative side. I know myself well enough to admit that if I was bogged down in producing kits and spending my time in support of that side of things, I would soon lose interest.

What do you think?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Let me belated say that you have produced a magnificent rotary engine!

Don
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you, Don. Much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I think your approach to selling this as an experienced modeler's "kit" is very good indeed. Apart from cost considerations, it would help promote the forum as a means of communication and improvement of one's skills.

It occurs to me that ECardmodels might be a good avenue for promoting sales.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
I agree, count me in for being a supporter/buyer!
Google Adsense