PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
1/24th Fokker DVIII Scratch Build

Greetings all! Long time member but very rarely do I post. It's been a long time.
I wanted to share progress on a new project I'm working on...

I'm especially pleased with how the construction technique is turning out. I think I've settled on the term: PapyroSkeletal.

I chose a Fokker DVIII because it's a plane I personally like a lot plus there is some very extensive detail on the real thing here.

Anyway the PapyroSkeletal technique involves the development of all major structural components based on a set datum. Each part is built on the datum platform which causes everything to align itself and orient itself automatically. When the structure is complete it will be cut away. You'll see what I mean as the thread develops.

Here is the start of some of the components in Corel Draw.

This is the initial plan for the base which will serve for the datum on which all components are built.

Here is the first attempt at the PapyroSkeletal technique with the Fokker. I have cut the parts from .050 Artist Mat board.

Working from the middle to the ends I now glue the edges of each bulkhead to its corresponding side piece.

It has resulted in a square, true structure on which to build.

Stay tuned...

Happy modeling!
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Very cool.....Rich
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Playing with Your Laser!

Hi Bruce,

Yes, it's been a long time...,

Nice looking laser cut skeletal..., I'm already hooked.

The trick is going to be achieving the translucent nature of doped fabric.

I'll be watching...,

+Gil
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Bruce,

This is going to be so interesting. An advanced technique, allowing (nay, almost crying out for) cut-away sections of the covering parts to allow the interior to show up.

The next hurdle (this time or the next) is to replicate the internal rigging. A more immediate challenge than the translucence, I would say. Translucent covering becomes a real challenge when you attempt pre-WWI subjects, with nothing but clear-doped surfaces and fuselage covering.

Again, this is going to be most interesting and worthwhile to follow. I am glad you decided to show and share this technique. Thank you!

- L.

PS. I like your way of making an album of the images. When you wish to publish them, you can also use the "medium image" link, instead of the "linked image" link you've used now. Like this:

You find that kind of link by clicking on the little symbol to the right of the "Linked thumbnail" option you've used. I only discovered that option now, so I thought I'd share it just in case. Please disregard, if you already made a conscious choice not to use this kind of link. Worth mentioning anyway, I thought.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 AM

Thank you, Leif. The medium image link is exactly what I was looking for but it was not immediately apparent to me how to do it. I appreciate the information. I'll look for it when I have a little more time.

Yes, a later version of the fuselage framework (the one I am working with now) includes the little loops for the internal rigging:

The rigging itself can be accomplished with fine wire, but to do it with some sort of paper material might be a bit of a challenge...this is an experimental work-in-progress so we'll see what can be done.

Gil, yes, the translucent "fabric" is necessary on a model this size. I have some experimentation in store using tracing vellum. We'll see

Best,
-Bruce
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bruce -

It's great to see you posting again and still at the cutting edge of paper modelling technique.

That is one beautiful fuselage structure: appealing to the eye both of a paper modeler and a stick-and-tissue modeler.

This will certainly be a thread to watch.

Don
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Hi, Don, yes it's great to be back. I wish I had more time to do this stuff and take part in all you good folks share here. I am looking forward to retirement when I can devote much more to this lovely past time. Only about 8 years to go

Meanwhile it's catch-as-catch-can...plus we have a brand new grand baby in the family to take our time and attention (not to mention any extra $$$!)

Yes this framework is very reminiscent of stick-and-tissue and would lend itself well to it. However I believe the potential is there to handle any subject and I look forward to experimenting and extending it to other aircraft, armor or ships:

(Found it, Leif!)

I think it would work beautifully in creating a good straight clean hull in ship modeling.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
WOW Bruce - way to come back. Looks great , I can't wait to see more.

~ Douglas
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Tail Feather Development

Here are the stabilizers and rudder from .040 chipboard.
(Not yet attached, just sitting on the fuse for the pics.)

Happy modeling!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The color of the chipboard and the delicacy of the parts makes this look like a real Fokker framework.

Don
Google Adsense