PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/72 MiG-9

As far as I know, there's only one simple kit of the MiG-9 (Orel publishes an advanced kit) and it happens to be available for download here on the forum. It's from the Hungarian site Mdb' Makett. It's low res, and is pretty rough looking, but I thought I'd play around with it and see if I could make a presentable model out of it. In hindsite, I did things in reverse order: I should have seen if it was buildable before spending a lot of Photoshop time making it pretty. Oh well, live and learn. After the repaint, I decided to do a quick and dirty test build of the fuselage skins, and ran into trouble right away .

Starting at the front, the first 2 fuselage skins didn't mate up well at all. The first is way too small. The second isn't right either. It's a little too small also, and doesn't have the right shape. It's got quite an arc, and as a result it reduces the diameter of the fuselage too abruptly. The third and fourth skins seem to be ok. The bulkhead that closes up the rear of the fourth skin is too small. I had to wrap a strip of 65 lb card around it twice to get the right diameter. The fifth skin is an interesting shaped piece with both convex and concave curves. I had to do quite a bit of trimming all along the front edge to get it to mate up with it's companion. On the sixth skin, the seam moves topside. This one also has convex and concave curves, as well as a sliver that has to taken out of each side.

In conclusion, the model really isn't buildable as designed - at least not in any satisfactory way. Maybe it's good that I recolored it first, because I certainly wouldn't have spent the time on it if I did a quickie build first. Now that it's recolored, I think I'll put a little effort into it making things align better, changing the shape and size of some of the skins, etc, etc and see if I can't make a buildable model out of it.

I'll follow up with new posts as things progress.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 MiG-9-tmretezsmig-9-01.jpg   1/72 MiG-9-mig9_1.jpg   1/72 MiG-9-mig9_2.jpg   1/72 MiG-9-mig9-3.jpg   1/72 MiG-9-mig9_4.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
"Maybe it's good that I recolored it first, because I certainly wouldn't have spent the time on it if I did a quickie build first. Now that it's recolored, I think I'll put a little effort into it making things align better, changing the shape and size of some of the skins, etc, etc and see if I can't make a buildable model out of it. "

Amen to that! you did well with a difficult one. sometimes it saves color ink to test build in grey scale....lol! the model seems as primative as the jet...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Too bad that this model is not buildable as designed. If you couldn't build it, then no one could without major redesign.

Nonetheless, it was interesting to read your report and see the images.

So there is still room for a smaller scale MiG-9 ( and, it is to be hoped, with an option for PLAAF markings).

(The other) Don
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 AM

Good idea on printing in grayscale, nebeltex. I have a separate file now with just the first 3 skins. I've done one test build of those sections after some slight mods (not much better I'm afraid). I printed it in draft mode, but your idea is better.

Don, you give me way too much credit . Only the first 2 skins need major work. If I can get these corrected, the rest should be easy. I don't have an unfolding program though, just Photoshop (with very limited skills), so getting them shaped right is going to be a real challenge. If I can do that, a recolor to PLAAf marking will be a pleasure in comparison.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Don

Sorry to heard you have problems. I hope you can achieve a good end for this project.

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
As far as I know, there's only one simple kit of the MiG-9 (Orel publishes an advanced kit) and it happens to be available for download here on the forum. s convex and concave curves, as well as a sliver that has to taken out of each side.
It's very interesting, when I saw the title thread about Mig-9 I thougt you were chossing between several available kits.

Regards
Alcides
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM

I just paid a visit to the parent site for the MiG-9 http://papirmakettek.lapunk.hu/?modul=galeria and there is a 1/50 version of the same model there with instructions and some additional parts. There is a photo of the finished model, so it definitely can be built as is, but the angle of the photo manages to disguise the problem with the nose. Anyway, there are quite a few other models there of other airplanes, trains, buildings, boats and trucks if anyone is interested.

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 02-24-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: add words
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
The Makettek model is hand drawning Is a pain.. I tried build the MiG-9... Good luck...
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 MB
I am glad that you've taken the Mig 9th
I think you have the skills and able to mastering the model.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Hello!

That's is a very interesting subject for the card model, shame it's design doesn't cope with the quality, but I think you - ROCKPAPERSCISSOR can cope with that

Good luck!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this project. That site has a great variety of models, and despite being hand-drawn they look very promising. There are a couple that are definitely on my must-try-someday list.

Thanks for sharing,

Steve
Google Adsense