PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
Thanks Zathros and Uyraell boy I wish could fix the prop but I just found out my Dad and I are going to fly down to Fairbanks in six days. But I'll try doing something.
Right now the project is working on the windshield. It took me all evening to make it fit right. I'll add pictures latter.

Last edited by JR.; 03-20-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking forward to seeing this completed. An excellent model. I'm sure the gift will be well received.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM

Well the wind screen has me stumped. What I use for them is plastic containers that you can get from restaurants it is fairly thin and bendable but I cant get it to stay when gluing. Any Ideas of what to use.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
The only time I've had any luck using plastic for windows was in a model designed to have it. The paper frames were wide enough that you glue the paper to the paper all around the plastic part, then glue the frame into place. The windows on this look flat enough that if you could glue them in from the inside (where the frames would be kind of hidden) that might work, but with the wings on ...

I think you will have to look to others that are wiser and have more experience than I
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Try this thread:
how windows
Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Blister packs are very pliable and require very little heat. Use a adhesive like "Zip Dry" and the glass will actually help the model keeps it's shape.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the help that has given me some Ideas.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Ok I've made a little progress. These past few days I've been readjusting the frame to fit right and I believe it will work. Just waiting to let the plastic windows glue to the frame. So during that time I will be working on the prop. The last picture shows the containers that I was talking about earlier.
Thanks again, all of you, for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8453.jpg   FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8454.jpg   FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8216.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
JR, the container you show is most likely a polystyrene (look for a "6" in the recycle symbol) and more brittle than what you need. Look for a container or (as Zath indicated) a "blister" type packaging for a suitable plastic. Plastics are best 'thermoformed' meaning affix it to a form and apply an appropriate amount of heat to 'set' the shape. Cubs are pretty simple re: the glazing with only 2D curvatures to deal with.

You have had luck with experimenting with your materials, so I know you'll "lick the problem".
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks rbeach84, I'll do some experimenting.
The Cub is almost done. I'll have to put the floats on when we get down to Fairbanks.
Attached Thumbnails
FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8456.jpg   FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8457.jpg   FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8459.jpg   FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8460.jpg   FG J3 Piper Cub-100_8462.jpg