PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Murray Pursuit

Hello, everyone,
I have taken a bit of a vacation from my Fokker D8 because I have been working hard to learn to use Rhino. This program is amazing! It has so much to offer paper model designers. But it has (at least for me) a steep learning curve.

I believe I have at last reached a point where I can design and implement a pattern in paper that will build a decent model. Here's my latest project:

Yes, every Baby Boomer's favorite childhood toy, the Murray Pursuit. I found a good blog that chronicles the restoration of one of these cool pedal cars...

and used it to design a paper version that might appeal to Boomers who want a decor item that takes them back to their youth.

So I'm not too concerned that the model isn't totally accurate to the real car, I am more interested in the fact that Rhino gave me a tool that creates a model that accurately mimics what I made in Rhino.

I intend to develop this for the interior decoration market and I think this concept could include things like kiddy rides (the little 25 cent rides that used to be outside of stores) and other styles of pedal cars.

Happy modeling! Now back to the Fokker

Last edited by bclemens; 03-25-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Bruce that is so COOL ! what a great idea......Rich
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
You continue to daze and amaze!!! That is really cool..
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
That is amazing!!!! I would buy that in a heart beat! preferably at a large scale!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

If you intend to go to a larger scale, let's say full size, start exploring the print Options. You will be able to print out full size models, based off these plans, by using Rhino's built in scaling. The easiest way is to make a diameter of the full size wheel you want, then go to Transform/Scale/Scale 3d, then select the whole model, scaling the wheel up to the size you want, and comparing it to the one full size wheel you just made, matching the diameter. If the model falls off the grid, and you need the grid, you can make a new Rhino File and import the model into that file, just select Large, and feet (or meters) and the grid will be much larger. You can easily unfold that model, as the shapes are simple. Probably 15 minutes worth of work, if you have not tried it yet. Learn to work with the Running 2 Rails command. it is one of your best tools in Rhino. You can develop bad habits in Rhino and it will severely limit your ability to make complex models, or, models that you wish to make easily, without error. The picture attached was made by me as I have developed a technique to limit the sectional shape lines, and improve the overall look of models. This models unfolds, and builds well. Rhino is a great program, but takes much work to develop a method that is consistent and right, in the sense of the way the program is intended to work. There are a couple of people on this forum who are masters of Rhino, looking at their work shows the final product, STRK, Goldenbear (not necessarily in that order) are among the best, this is in terms of the quality of their work in Rhino, there are many others who use other software, and to be specific, I write only in reference to Rhino. Being able to work of from "formers" and build a model from them is absolutely essential. It is easy to make your own and to work off of them. This will result in accurate models, and in the end, save much time. Link to the thread where I have some more info on this:

Cessna 210

Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

I forgot to upload a picture of the panel skins unfolded.
Attached Thumbnails
Murray Pursuit-skin.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Thank you, Zathros, for your post. I will study it closely. That is the great value of this forum...good knowledgeable people willing to share! I very much appreciate it!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM

OhioMike, thanks. Very encouraging.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
That's one cute piece of paper modeling , keep us updated when and where you publish it, I certainly want one
Old 03-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Here's a start. It's my raw uncolored outlines. The only thing I color printed was the insignia page- everything else was primed and painted.
Please respect and download for personal use only.

http://avantcard.biz/Murrary_Pursuit.pdf

Page 1 and 2 are cut from .050" Mat Board
The rest of the parts were cut from .013 Bristol card stock, except for the following:
The wing fairings on page 7 are from thin copier paper.
All the parts on page 8 are cut from chrome metalized paper.

It's pretty straightforward, looking at the pics and the print you should be able to build it. Any questions...just post.

I used .047 floral wire for the pedal wire. The wire is running through small pieces of aluminum tube at the LG struts and between the pedal parts.

Happy Modeling!

Last edited by bclemens; 03-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Google Adsense