Finish the design. 61 63.54%
Make it very detailed. 46 47.92%
Make it a one page quick build plane 9 9.38%
Get another hobby and let the pros take care of this. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.58 MB
Dear Mike and friends papermodelers,

From the moment I saw the first drawing, I realized there was a distortion in the perspective drawing that was causing the aircraft gets too long and too thin.
I figured it was the way the program show the perspective, but now I realize that the design is rteally distorted , so please, take a carefull watch to the original 3 views.

You´ll observe that the plane is shorter and it´s fuselage airplane is much higher, much fatter.
The glass cabin is narrower and smaller.

But I think this is very easy to solve : you could group all parts, except landing gear and others out os fuselage and then shorten it and then increase the height of the fuselage.

I want to emphasize that this project is wonderful, a real lovely airplane !
I want to buy this plane and transform it in my own RC plane ( I have 6 ).
It will be painted in the WW II Brazilian Air Force colors (there´s one at the Museum Aeronautico do Rio de Janeiro).

My radio control aircraft will have 1, 50 meter wingspan, two electric motors,
an electric retracts and Lypo battery.

Please, sorry for the incovenience, my intention is to make this project the best in the world !
Old 10-21-2012, 12:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Mike
This is really looking spectacular! Keep it up.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarnogueira View Post
Dear Mike and friends papermodelers,

From the moment I saw the first drawing, I realized there was a distortion in the perspective drawing that was causing the aircraft gets too long and too thin.
I figured it was the way the program show the perspective, but now I realize that the design is rteally distorted , so please, take a carefull watch to the original 3 views.

You´ll observe that the plane is shorter and it´s fuselage airplane is much higher, much fatter.
The glass cabin is narrower and smaller.

But I think this is very easy to solve : you could group all parts, except landing gear and others out os fuselage and then shorten it and then increase the height of the fuselage.

I want to emphasize that this project is wonderful, a real lovely airplane !
I want to buy this plane and transform it in my own RC plane ( I have 6 ).
It will be painted in the WW II Brazilian Air Force colors (there´s one at the Museum Aeronautico do Rio de Janeiro).

My radio control aircraft will have 1, 50 meter wingspan, two electric motors,
an electric retracts and Lypo battery.

Please, sorry for the incovenience, my intention is to make this project the best in the world !
I appreciate your interest in the thread on this aircraft, the plane was drafted into the 3d model with plans from the Aviation-heritage drawings which were taken by actual measurement of the aircraft. These are from the Paul Matt collection. I used the cross sections and the overall dimensions. Now I grant you I am not an employee of Lockheed and am by no means a professional aeronautical draftsman, but I do the best I can with what is available.

I think you must be mistaken about the observation that this is the wrong shape and length etc. What is the reference material that you are using to compare this against?

The model is paper, with all the restraints that go along with it in making the compound curves etc, etc,. This is also why it is taking me so long to finish it as I keep hitting the wall on certain aspects of the translation of the paper into the model. I have made about a dozen or so engine nacelle's and have yet to be happy with any of them.

I can make a nice looking Nacelle with nurbs modeling but then you have to be able to build that with paper, not so easy. The goal is to reach some happy middle ground, where the model can be built, without the patron having to go into some sort of therapy at the end of the build. Or for that matter the designer. You have to step away from this at times or go crazy.

I am still working on it, and have been working on other projects as well. At some point I will be happy with the way it looks and finish it. Or I could just throw down any old attempt and have a crappy looking product. At any rate this is just a hobby with me and not a race or an obsession.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike, you do realize that your "test build" looks better than anything I've every produced?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Mike, you do realize that your "test build" looks better than anything I've every produced?

Hey there Josh, been keeping track of you. Sorry about all that interviewing crap you had to go through.

Post some pics, I'd like to see some of your work.

As far as the test build goes, it just ain't getting it done for me yet. I am not giving up, just working on a part that makes me happy, will pick it up again as soon as that happens.
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM

I'm doing great mike, practicing small stuff for my phantom, just scanning a page playing with it then trashing it to perfect my skills, on a good note I'm now in a decent job in the R.V. Park I live in. Couldn't ask for anything more..
Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Great!! Glad your happy. Looking forward to that Phantom in the near future.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
I appreciate your interest in the thread on this aircraft, the plane was drafted into the 3d model with plans from the Aviation-heritage drawings which were taken by actual measurement of the aircraft. These are from the Paul Matt collection. ...
I was thinking the description of a shorter, fatter design might be
describing a Hudson, the predecessor to the Ventura.
Could that be the source of the confusion for Cesar?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I was thinking the description of a shorter, fatter design might be
describing a Hudson, the predecessor to the Ventura.
Could that be the source of the confusion for Cesar?
Possibly, but I am not certain. I looked at Hudson's when I first started these drawings and what he is saying does describe the Hudson. I went back and checked the drawings in profile against my model and everything is pretty much right on the numbers. I draft in full scale, and then scale that to the model scale that i want to unfold, so I know it's not occurring there.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Trust me, I know this plane pretty well. I have been inside of every nook and cranny of it. If it didn't look right I would know it and would have brought it to mikes attention (probably in the form of a p.m.). I can only imagine how difficult it is to design a good looking yet still buildable nacelle. Always love to see progress when available. Your test build is really getting me excited Mike!
Google Adsense