Make it very detailed. 46 47.92%
Make it a one page quick build plane 9 9.38%
Get another hobby and let the pros take care of this. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post
Oh yes, for all those who have taken the time to tell me the nose is not right ... I know the nose is not right but I hate petal work with a passion so I am working on that now.
Make it an "observation/bombing" plane with a greenhouse nose (but this opens a whole new can of worms, detailed interior)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by calinous View Post
Make it an "observation/bombing" plane with a greenhouse nose (but this opens a whole new can of worms, detailed interior)
BClemens is working on his Fokker DVIII on a separate thread. He came up with a novel solution to obtaining the curved cowl, one of incrementally sized rings stacked upon one another. He filled the space between the rings with acrylic spackle, sanded to shape and painted the cowl!

It's an idea if nothing else. Personally, I'll create a mold and cast the nose out of paper mache.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Cainouse, your suggestion really wouldn't work for this plane as that area is pretty well full of 50 cal. machine guns. Plus, even if it weren't it would be way to difficult for someone to get into (the only access is from the outside of the plane). I don't know of too many bombadeers that would willingly take that job ;-)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not really, you could smoke the class, or do petals conical on top with petals on the bottom. A Hybrid. Petals are distracting if there's a lot of them. Conical half sections and petal bottoms will allow you to play with the shape.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Not going down that road....Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
BClemens is working on his Fokker DVIII on a separate thread. He came up with a novel solution to obtaining the curved cowl, one of incrementally sized rings stacked upon one another. He filled the space between the rings with acrylic spackle, sanded to shape and painted the cowl!

It's an idea if nothing else. Personally, I'll create a mold and cast the nose out of paper mache.
I've looked at all these techniques, these are ok for advanced modelers but a little overwhelming for people who just want to cut and glue. i guess I like the paper casting method the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Not really, you could smoke the class, or do petals conical on top with petals on the bottom. A Hybrid. Petals are distracting if there's a lot of them. Conical half sections and petal bottoms will allow you to play with the shape.
hadn't thought about a hybrid before...hmmm....not for this model it's a PV2
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

A cast nose out of paper mache sounds great. Since Pigment Ink does not easily run when wet with water, (after it dries), I wonder if wetting some of these pieces for fitting would work? Are you printing with Pigment Ink or Dye ink? Dye is not colorfast.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
A cast nose out of paper mache sounds great. Since Pigment Ink does not easily run when wet with water, (after it dries), I wonder if wetting some of these pieces for fitting would work? Are you printing with Pigment Ink or Dye ink? Dye is not colorfast.

I will most definitely paint the nose with enamel or acrylic. Think papermache mixed with resin and you have an idea of what I'll do. I could just as easily cast the nose out of Durham's Rock Hard, but, then it wouldn't be paper. it would also be quite heavy!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Okay, I got busy and went back to the original track. I am still quite interested in this foam idea, but I am going to let the Major try that on for size as soon as I have the skin panels ready with the panel lines. Which as you will see are getting closer. Traditional formers VS. Eggcrate formers. These eggcrate formers really do a good job of making the shape.

Now this is going to be skinned so it is a White model being used for layout of lines and proof of shape. The glue you see is thin super glue. The skins were rolled and glued with any form work. A paper funnel if you will. I use a pair of pinking shears and cut 20# paper into strips this give's me the flaps I need for the butt joints on the skins when I glue them up. A technique that I use for lots of models.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM

You know Zarthos, I usually print a .250 set of grid lines in two axis on the white model skins before I put the panel lines on and I forgot to do it. Just noticed. If this will not disassemble I will have to go again so that I can get the panel lines in the right place.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM

This is really exciting Mike. You are doing an outstanding job with this beauty. I was going to say a couple of posts ago (when the discusion of how to design the nose was going on) that you should probably just design it how ever it is most convenient with the assumption that this will not be a model for beginners. Most of us will probably either coat the entire section with ca and sand it smoth and paint, or mold one. Looks like you may have come up with a satisfactory solution however.
Google Adsense